Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turbo-and-turbo-s-forum-72/)
-   -   Spark Plugs which ones? (https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turbo-and-turbo-s-forum/179212-spark-plugs-which-ones.html)

FAMA 01-08-2005 07:22 PM

Spark Plugs which ones?

Iam looking for a better spar plug, currently I have splitfire and they are much better than my old bosch. Iam planning to get some Denso Iridium power plugs, does anybody have experience with this plugs and how much power would i gain with this upgrade.
Also should I take my car to the dealer for the spark plugs change or can any mechanic shop do the work.

Thanks

Fama

OriginalSterm 01-08-2005 07:46 PM

spark plugs should only be done by professionals. If installed backwards, you could cause your muffler bearings to rot out excessively quick.

YMMV

special tool 01-08-2005 07:50 PM

awesome :)

FAMA 01-08-2005 07:51 PM

Thanks Originalsterm, that's what i was afraid of doing, I have heard pf people saying that is better to do the leak downtest when the car is hot, and I dont want to lose my compresion if some noob shop change the sparks the wrong way especially when the car is cold.

OriginalSterm 01-08-2005 07:52 PM

it's the not the temp you should worry about, it's the humidity. at least that's what the tuners tell me...

special tool 01-08-2005 08:00 PM

So...what did you do last night, FAMA?

FAMA 01-08-2005 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by OriginalSterm
it's the not the temp you should worry about, it's the humidity. at least that's what the tuners tell me...

Ok it's raining like hell outside wont be able to change the sparks today. I was trying to do it by myself but i dont know the torque specs and the sequence to install the sparkplugs. If anybody can tell me the how much torque do i apply to the sparkplugs and the sequence please.

Specialtool, last nigh i was on the drag strip burning all kind of v8's sick time.

lart951 01-08-2005 08:28 PM

125pnds of torque each and the sequence is 4,2,3,1. Make sure your car is completely dry. The humidity will release all your compression.

hosrom_951 01-08-2005 11:19 PM

You have GOT to be kidding!!!!!!!

Jaak Lepson 01-09-2005 12:06 AM

L

L

O

R

T

FAMA 01-19-2005 04:52 PM

It has been a week since I started my spark plug change project, so far I have removed the intake manifold, the throtle body, vacuum lines all the wiring, now Iam in the process of removing the head. My question is once the head is removed can I proceed to remove the spark plugs? Or do I have lower the whole engine to pull the plugs out?

Any help please

OriginalSterm 01-19-2005 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by FAMA
It has been a week since I started my spark plug change project, so far I have removed the intake manifold, the throtle body, vacuum lines all the wiring, now Iam in the process of removing the head. My question is once the head is removed can I proceed to remove the spark plugs? Or do I have lower the whole engine to pull the plugs out?

Any help please

do not lower the engine!
lift the car up instead, easier access to the main bearings. with those still in place, there will be too much vacuum to remove the spark plugs. unless you use simple green and pb blaster to dissolve the seal around the plugs.

hosrom_951 01-19-2005 05:02 PM

Don't forget, you MUST remove the entire engine off the car to replace the spark plugs. Be sure to torque up ALL bolts to 1,000+NM

Sheesh..............

FAMA 01-19-2005 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by hosrom_951
Don't forget, you MUST remove the entire engine off the car to replace the spark plugs. Be sure to torque up ALL bolts to 1,000+NM

Sheesh..............

hosrom what is 1,000+nm?

hosrom_951 01-19-2005 05:27 PM

That is the amount of gun-powder you should fill in the spark plug holes before installing the plugs and starting up the car.........be sure to be IN the car when it starts