Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

4" exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2005, 03:37 AM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah I understand, if vendors bothered testing their products we would not be in this state! I am going to pony up and test the 3" downpipe soon.
Old 01-11-2005, 12:30 PM
PowerWerks
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The reason why your not hearing or seeing anything more from Powerwerks on this subject..... is because we are fully testing our products and continually making changes to improve our parts.

These discussion are good and highlight areas of concern and needed improvement..... but talk is talk! Seems like for too long many of the manufactures have talked up their parts with no real evidence of HP gains.......we are taking our time and once we are fully happy I will post our findings...... Dyno and all to prove and back up our parts!

Our philosophy is why make something just to say you did! if it doesn't improve performance or efficiency.... then why bother!

Cheers,
Paul
Old 01-11-2005, 12:59 PM
FSAEracer03
TRB0 GUY
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I want to jump back a couple pages for just one sec. The "agressive cup chips" weren't in the series mentioned before. The Canadian series didn't use the "agressive" (295-305hp) chips and therefore the 23hp gain can't be atributed to chips.

Whether or not 4" exhaust effects peak power numbers isn't really an issue anyways. It will decrease spool up time and give you a larger, more more accessable torque curve. I don't see why peak numbers have to be the main goal at all, really. Consider the exhaust turbine as a closed system with flow-in and flow-out. Flow-in is the exhaust gases from the crossover pipe (and subsequently from the headers and from the engine itself). Flow-out is the exhaust gases flowing through the exhaust. Flow-in backpressure is from the turbine and it's housing. Flow-out backpressure is from the exhaust system beyond that point. The two backpressures are related. The flow-in backpressure is relieved as the turbine spools and gas velocity increases. Turbine spooling is effected by the pressure the forced gases have to fight against as they exit the housing, which is the flow-out backpressure.

In summary, if you decrease exhaust system backpressure beyond the turbine housing, you are helping spool time and allowing the torque curve to bump up a little quicker. Less exhaust backpressure usually gives you a little high-end hp kick too, but I'd be happier to get faster spool time myself.
Paul... glad to hear SOMEONE is doing real R&D on their parts! Keep up the good work over ther

Quick Reply: 4" exhaust