Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Headlight out, but not the bulb...and the bright works

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2004, 08:33 PM
Skwerl
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 190 Posts
Default Headlight out, but not the bulb...and the bright works

My driver side headlight doesn't work on lowbeam, but highbeam works fine. I didn't know that at first, so I got a new bulb, and it's the same problem. The fuses seem to be fine. Could it be a ground issue?
Old 12-01-2004, 10:28 PM
Waterguy
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The high and low beam share a common ground on each headlight, but use different fuses and power wires. If the low beam fuse for that headlight (fuse 22, iirc) is not burnt out, then it is probably a broken wire. Most likely location for a broken wire is in the wire harness to the light, since it flexes every time the headlights are raised or lowered.
Old 08-12-2006, 10:30 PM
Dave951
Burning Brakes

Giving life to an old thread. I'm having a similar problem right now except instead fuse 22 blows every time I turn the headlights on. Highs still work (obviously), so my guess is there is a short in the low beam power wire. I've cleaned the grounds behind the drivers side headlight bucket recently which didnt change anything. Anyone have a similar problem or suggestions about how I should go about fixing it?
Old 08-12-2006, 10:51 PM
Andial951
Legend Killer
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a similar problem but its with the front driver's side marker. It doesnt turn on with the lights but works when I signal to turn left. Is this a fuse issue or wiring?
Old 08-12-2006, 11:34 PM
Dave951
Burning Brakes

Solution: I started to tear apart the wiring harness to the driver side headlamp. I started with the 3 prong connector piece, which turned out to be fine. Then I looked at the wiring leading up to the 3 prong connector and saw a zip tie. The zip tie keeps the wiring attached to the headlight bracket. Seeing as the zip tie would restrict the wire from moving I felt it would be a good place to look for a failure. After removing the heat wrap I discovered one of the wires was completely severed and another was mildly damaged. I cut out the damaged pieces of wire and soldered a new piece in. Turned the lights on and all was well.

Andial, my guess would be that its a wiring issue since it works when another system is triggering it.

Quick Reply: Headlight out, but not the bulb...and the bright works