test pipe instal Q's

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2004, 07:19 PM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default test pipe instal Q's

Hey,
I'm trying to install my used bursch test pipe I bought a couple months back, and it did not arrive with a flange on the WG dump tube. What should I do to get a flange on it? Do i need a seal between the down pipe and the test pipe? Would copper gasket spray work? I'm having a hard time lining up the test pipe to the down pipe, though i havent tried for long since I was distracted by the WG dump tube issue, does it line up, or do I need to do something. Thanks!
~Eyal
Old 11-24-2004, 09:41 PM
Cyrus951
Rennlist Member

Yes you need a gasket for the downpipe.
It's the hottest part of the entire car, I don't think the copper spray can withstand those extreme temperatures. I had an issue finding this gasket, so I called Dan, and he told me to go to Pepboys and buy a hotroad header gasket, and cut the holes to match the bolts of the downpipe with an xacto knife.
Do a search for "danno" under username, and "cyrus951" as a keyword, he described the procedure in one of those threads.

As far as lining the downpipe with the pipe, you first have to put the wastegate dumptube part of the testpipe in, and then align the bolts of the downpipe with the testpipe holes. I've removed/installed this testpipe around 20 times, no joke. If you want, I can install it for you on the 4th, it'll take me 15 minutes.
Old 11-24-2004, 09:54 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 287 Posts

For the downpipe gasket, I used to get them from Huntley, but....

Lindsey sells a copper one on his site.

Last time pulled the test pipe, I followed the advice of another rennlister and bought a sheet of exhaust gasket material at NAPA. It is some kind of coated metal -- has to be cut with tin snips -- cut the hole with a hole saw. I used the flange as a guide and ended up with a gasket that looked 99% as good as the one's Huntley used to sell. It's been in the car several months now with no problems.

Make sure everything is loose when you line up the bolt holes. A screwdriver is helpful to pull holes into alignment.

As for the WG dump tube. There are two ways to attach it. One way is to use the flanges, but the early 951's used a slip joint and collar arrangement. See the second photo under the Zeitronix Installation page of my website. I cut the flange off my test pipe. http://members.rennlist.com/tom86951/
Old 11-25-2004, 02:29 AM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tom M'Guinn
For the downpipe gasket, I used to get them from Huntley, but....

Lindsey sells a copper one on his site.

Last time pulled the test pipe, I followed the advice of another rennlister and bought a sheet of exhaust gasket material at NAPA. It is some kind of coated metal -- has to be cut with tin snips -- cut the hole with a hole saw. I used the flange as a guide and ended up with a gasket that looked 99% as good as the one's Huntley used to sell. It's been in the car several months now with no problems.

Make sure everything is loose when you line up the bolt holes. A screwdriver is helpful to pull holes into alignment.

As for the WG dump tube. There are two ways to attach it. One way is to use the flanges, but the early 951's used a slip joint and collar arrangement. See the second photo under the Zeitronix Installation page of my website. I cut the flange off my test pipe. http://members.rennlist.com/tom86951/
I forgot to mention that you need an metal donut gasket to use the clamp. I can look up the part numbers if helpful. (I may even have one lying around.)
Old 12-07-2004, 11:16 AM
Douglas Sorrells
Racer

I can also vouch for the fact that the napa gasket material works well. I believe it's Napa part number is JV 222. I have a test pipe installed on the car and I believe it came with a flat paper gasket. After a number of years it wore out and I tried to install the stock grey crush ring. Well, I guess that the diameter of the test pipe is wider than stock, because the first time I came on boost, the ring blew clean out the back of the car. I cut a new gastet from the napa gasket material which is very tough stuff and it works Great!

d
Old 07-31-2006, 12:34 AM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Thought I'd give a long-term update on the Napa JV 222 gasket material. Here is a picture of my home-made gasket after two years and 12k miles. It held up reasonably well, but you can see the material separated a bit when i took the test pipe out, and the gasket itself seemed to be getting patchy/thin especially around the outer edges. Overall, I'd say the material does its job, but hard to say how much longer it would have lasted without leaking -- I'd say its a five year gasket.
Attached Images   
Old 07-31-2006, 12:44 AM
jacklet
Racer

i make mine out of copper that slip joint i hate i made my own flange there the bolts can be a pain talk to it in mechanics lanquage always helps

Quick Reply: test pipe instal Q's