Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Went drifting in my 951 (pic and vid)

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2004, 02:59 AM
rage2
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Went drifting in my 951 (pic and vid)

Finally got the car right for a drift event. The first night, the charge piping kept coming loose because it was an inch too long. It worked fine for drag racing and roadcourse lapping, but during drifts, when I'm on and off the throttle, the engine movement was enough to knock the pipe loose, resulting in zero boost.

Surprisingly, the 951 makes a wicked drift car. This was the first time with the 2.8L drifting (the 2.5L with the big turbo had way too small a powerband), and the wide powerband made controlling the car very easy. The only time I spun during my runs was when the tires overheated, which resulted in the tread separating from the tire . I'll have a picture of that later.

Out of 10 runs or so, here's one of my better ones caught on video. Again, the HDTV clip only works for fast 2Ghz and faster computers with fast video cards.

951 Drifting Video HDTV (13.7MB)

951 Drifting Video SD (4.3MB)

And here's a pic of the car in action... looks like I need much stiffer suspension if I don't want that ugly body roll!

Old 09-24-2004, 03:10 AM
FSAEracer03
TRB0 GUY
Rennlist Member

sweet pic rage... I'm DLing the clips right now

EDIT: very nice run there... you managed to keep it sliding for a helluva long time there
Old 09-24-2004, 03:19 AM
rage2
Three Wheelin'

hehe yea, the first few runs, I took the line between turn 3 and turn 4 (long u-turn) as a straight line like everyone else. In this video, I took it by getting sideways 2 more times, much more fun, and looks a lot cooler haha.

Here's a pic of the tread separation after about 10 runs:

Old 09-24-2004, 03:38 AM
DDP
Rocket Scientist
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That pic is awesome, good way not to waste some bad tires!
Old 09-24-2004, 03:39 AM
shortyboy
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

HOLY $HIT!!!!hahahaha i must say u can handle sideways very very well.now if i could only have the guts todo that as well.looks like fun as hell!!!we have drift sessions as well down here.most 240sx's and corollas but there are a few domestics.....i bet they'd trip out if they saw a 951 driftin around the track.i think youd get better traction with more camber in the front and none at all in the rear....or is this a fun run?either way that was some SICK drifting!!!!
Old 09-24-2004, 03:51 AM
WesM951
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is insane rage
Old 09-24-2004, 03:56 AM
DDP
Rocket Scientist
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

WOW!! That is ridic! Best video I have so far!
Old 09-24-2004, 03:57 AM
WesM951
Nordschleife Master

/// sends John a pm so he knows to grab the video for the rennlist video.
Old 09-24-2004, 04:00 AM
Laust Pedersen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

That looks like a lot of fun, but what does “Finally got the car right for a drift event.” actually mean? Sticky tires on the front, slippery tires on the rear and broad torque band?

And for the physicist: did you know that your hang-tag on the rear view mirror (in the first picture) is an excellent g-meter? The lateral acceleration is simply Tan(tag-angle), so if that angle is 40 degrees the lateral acceleration would be 0.84g.
Old 09-24-2004, 04:12 AM
rage2
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Laust Pedersen
That looks like a lot of fun, but what does “Finally got the car right for a drift event.” actually mean? Sticky tires on the front, slippery tires on the rear and broad torque band?
Broad torque band, and charge pipe not coming off after 2 turns . I'm actually using sticky tires front and rear, Kumho MX 235 18's up front, and Continental 255 17's in the rear. The rears were free from a local tire shop that sponsors me, used tires with about 40% tread left. It lasted about 15 runs in total. Gotta go back for another set tomorrow!

I didn't wanna run my Kumho MX 265 18's out in the back because they're pretty pricey to replace heh.
Originally Posted by Laust Pedersen
And for the physicist: did you know that your hang-tag on the rear view mirror (in the first picture) is an excellent g-meter? The lateral acceleration is simply Tan(tag-angle), so if that angle is 40 degrees the lateral acceleration would be 0.84g.
haha cool! Sideways is definately not the quickest way around. I'm surprised it's pulling that much. Be interesting to see how many G's the new suspension setup can pull on a roadcourse.
Old 09-24-2004, 04:18 AM
rage2
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by shortyboy
if i could only have the guts todo that as well.
Just go out and try. Everyone starts somewhere. I started about 9 years ago on the street before drifting got popular, which was REAL scary. Now there's safe track events for you to learn in a real safe environment.
Originally Posted by shortyboy
i think youd get better traction with more camber in the front and none at all in the rear....or is this a fun run?either way that was some SICK drifting!!!!
I actually have quite a bit of front grip, very happy with the 450lb springs up front. I'm gonna work on my driving first, before starting to mess with suspension setups. One step at a time .

The event was a track a few of us slapped together in about 5 minutes. Drifting in Calgary is slowly working its way up, it's nothing like the scene in Hawaii, or even Vancouver. I took the initiative with a few guys and put together a 4 day drift school/event. The first 2 days we taught others how to get into a slide, and how to hold it. Weight transfer, etc. Today was the first track we ran.

Lots of fun, this is the 2nd track I've done real drifting in. The first event I ran the course in my AMG, which was pretty cool. Most of my experience came from the streets when I was young, and messing around on the roadcourse hehe.
Old 09-24-2004, 04:47 AM
944S2NUT
Drifting

wwwwwwwwwooooooooooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwww
Old 09-24-2004, 06:24 AM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Rage man.........that first pic just rocks!!!! now it's looking more like a fire breathing monster than a 951

Wicked! !
Old 09-24-2004, 08:12 AM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

wow very very cool video. Rage man you got to pm me this kind of stuff. This is going in the rennlist video no doubt.

Hey Wes thanks alot for the pm man. Good looking out.
Old 09-24-2004, 11:05 AM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

When is the drift world gonna realize Porsche have been "drifter cars" since the beginning

If the ricers only knew this is also called controlled oversteer.....

Quick Reply: Went drifting in my 951 (pic and vid)