Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

$$$$ to repaint ?

Old 08-27-2004, 01:29 PM
Maciek
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just recently paid $2,500 for a repaint including the engine bay. I did alot of the disassembly and reassembly and the guy was a family friend. I think if I had just been a regular customer it would have been closer to the $4k mark. Sounds like you are getting the average price. Also, my car is a cab, so there is less to paint. Good luck!
Old 08-27-2004, 01:54 PM
Billy W
Racer

Maciek I would love to see pictures of your car. You are doing what I have always longed to do, make the 951 a cab. Where did you find a S2 cab being junked?
Old 08-27-2004, 02:00 PM
alexands
Pro

CRYUS: Did Maaco do the door sills, under hood, and other spots? The PO of my car had it painted by Ronald McDonald (might as well have been) and they didn't do any of the spots that required detail painting. Looks good from a distance. It's read but used to be gold metallic. Open the door and it's still gold.
Old 08-27-2004, 02:11 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

How much can high speed buffing/waxing do to help the paint? Give it some new life.
Old 08-27-2004, 02:31 PM
Cyrus951
Rennlist Member

Alex,

They they did all the door jambs, hatch jambs, and hood liner.
They didn't paint the engine, but I just masked everything and painted the bay a flat black (hey, it's better than the original blue).
The Maaco by me charges $40 for each door jamb, and $40 for the hood/hatch liner.

Watch out though, Maaco paints mufflers, the interior, under the car, and even the tires!
So make sure the painter knows what he's doing.
Old 08-27-2004, 03:03 PM
JoeBingo
Advanced

Thxs for all the input....sounds like my estimate is within reason, considering less $$ to do it myself. I'm pretty sure the buffing process (over zealous) is what put the car in the state that it's in now. I really need to come to grips that I'll never get the money back if I ever decide to sell.
Old 08-27-2004, 03:41 PM
Maciek
Addict
Rennlist Member

Billy,
The Car is basically done, I am still doing some final reassembling. I wanted to put off posting any pictures until I truly get everything straight and I will do a big post on the "completion" of my project, but it will never be complete. Anyways, I found an S2 cab that had an engine fire on ebay a few years back. I don't recommend doing it that way, find a S2 cab that had a timing belt failure or spun a rod, or even one with very high mileage as they go pretty cheap these days. Anyways if you have any questions, feel free to shot me a PM. Here is a pic of the progress so far.
http://forums.rennlist.com/upload/pa...xhaust_005.jpg
Old 08-27-2004, 04:07 PM
steve g
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Joe
I have the same car as you and I do consider this car a keeper. There were few 1989 944 Turbos, relatively speaking. Original paint was one of the main criteria I considered when purchasing my car. Without seeing pictures, it is difficult for us to know what your're seeking to improve.
Take your time making this decision - mods or painting - IMHO mods and maintenance are the way to go. In the 3 years I have owned my 71K mile car - this year I replaced timing belt, rollers, waterpump, brake rotors and pads, head gasket, valve guides, turbo cooling pump. The car drives like new. The car has a few minor dings / stone chips but has been garaged from day one so the car is really clean which makes it a pleasure to work on. When I finally get around to detailing it later this fall and winter, the exterior will be just fine for a 15 year old car.
My one experience with repainting a car, back in 1980, my 1977 280Z got hit and was repainted by a very reputable high quality shop for a not so small amout of insurance $ - $2500 if I recall. I would find flaws in the paint job every so often which became ongoing aggravation. When I went to trade in the car, most dealerships hit me pretty hard because of the repaint issue.

What else does your car really need for long-term reliability or maintenance ?
Do a seach here for 'slippery slope' and see what you find.
Old 08-27-2004, 04:19 PM
JoeBingo
Advanced

Regarding maintenance, I've recently replaced the steering shaft coupler, engine mounts and had the diff and radiator fluid changed. Prior to me purchasing the car (5/04), tires, timing belt, water pump, brake pads/rotors where done. The car has 50,500 miles and runs great (stock, no mods). The previous owner did have some paint work done, so it's not original anyway - I just feel it could / should be redone to a higher standard. Interior is good - 2 small 1/8" dashbd cracks at the air bag and vent slots and steering wheel threads have been worn away. Other than that, it's one fine '89!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: $$$$ to repaint ?