Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Guys who deleted Balance Shafts...

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2004, 06:54 PM
BoostGuy951
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Guys who deleted Balance Shafts...

How did you tap for the turbo oil feed? In stock configuration, the oil feed runs through the balance shaft bearing and then into the turbo. Without the shaft in place, what are you guys doing?
Old 08-10-2004, 08:58 PM
mark944turbo
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I just left the balance shaft stuff in place but didnt run the belt.. but i guess you could just tap the block and screw in an AN fitting with a crush washer.
Old 08-10-2004, 09:25 PM
azmi951
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

any gains for not running the ballance shafts? how is the vibration?
Old 08-10-2004, 10:03 PM
rage2
Three Wheelin'

There's a slight vibration at around 3000rpm. It's not noticable unless you have loose stuff in the car. In my case, my shiftknob was missing a clip and the buzzing sound drove me nuts till I fixed it .

My balance shaft is completely removed. Here are the parts used.

Old 08-10-2004, 10:46 PM
madsedan
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts

What is the performance benefit to leaving off the balance shaft belt, it it just less parasitic drag on the crank? Other than a resonation/vibration around 3000 revs are there any downsides like premature crank damage or anything?
I think onw of my buddies into Honda's said that allot of guys removed this feature on their newer Preludes with no ill effect.
Old 08-10-2004, 11:17 PM
Dave E
Pro

Rage, Where did you get the aluminum spacers to replace the shafts?
Old 08-11-2004, 01:33 AM
MySwiss
Pro

Deleting the Balance shafts, dosen't really give you any added power. But it does cancel the chance of having a belt failure, oil leaks and it makes for less stuff under the hood.

deleating the Balance shafts, is fairly easy , depending if the engine is out of the car or not. All you want to do is, to weld shut, all of the oiling holes on the block, except for the one that feed the turbo.
That one , you tap a male fitting into it, and you fabricate a line that will screw onto it, to bring the oil to the turbo. It's not very complex, but you do need to fing the right size fitting.
Old 08-11-2004, 01:34 AM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The balance shafts take in 5hp at max engine speed on stock cars.
Old 08-11-2004, 01:49 AM
Sam Lin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Rage's setup looks like Scott at Under Pressure Performance's kit - IMO the best way to delete the balance shafts.

Sam
Old 08-11-2004, 02:28 AM
rage2
Three Wheelin'

hehe the kit was done locally, custom CNC stuff.
Old 08-11-2004, 12:30 PM
BoostGuy951
Three Wheelin'

Excellent, thanks for the info. I will tap the oil feed hole. Looks like I will just leave off the balance shaft cover and leave that side open. Should any type of thread sealant be used to prevent leaks?

I thought about leaving the balance shaft in and just removing the belt, but I didn't like the idea of trying to get the turbo's oil through a non spinning bearing. Also, the damn shafts weigh about 30 lbs, so its a significant weight savings.
Old 08-11-2004, 05:25 PM
Dave E
Pro

I'm having Scott install that kit in my engine and was wondering if that was the same one.
Old 08-11-2004, 07:03 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by madsedan
What is the performance benefit to leaving off the balance shaft belt, it it just less parasitic drag on the crank? Other than a resonation/vibration around 3000 revs are there any downsides like premature crank damage or anything?
I think onw of my buddies into Honda's said that allot of guys removed this feature on their newer Preludes with no ill effect.

Well it is hotly debated, but worst case potential is a broken oil pickup tube from the vibrations. The broken pick-up tube will result in a blowen up motor (lots of little bits & pieces).

I personally would not advise it for stock internals cars. For cars with knife edge cranks and other internal lightening it my be ok or even better.
Old 08-11-2004, 07:28 PM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by M758
Well it is hotly debated, but worst case potential is a broken oil pickup tube from the vibrations. The broken pick-up tube will result in a blowen up motor (lots of little bits & pieces).

I personally would not advise it for stock internals cars. For cars with knife edge cranks and other internal lightening it my be ok or even better.
I agree, if you still have a stock bottom end, the shaft delete may not be the best idea. I have about 13k miles on my delete, only slightly more vibs than stock, knifed crank, JE pistons Pauter rods, lightened flywheel all balanced.

My block was just welded, not the trick parts like Rage has, which is best option because it could be reversed if you wanted IMHO
Old 08-12-2004, 01:25 AM
fortysixandtwo
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave E
I'm having Scott install that kit in my engine and was wondering if that was the same one.
Dave E
It's similar. The parts that take the place of the balance shaft are hollow (machined from tube stock instead of bar stock) and have a groove machined around them for better oil flow. With power steering delete, the plugs for the front of the engine take the place of the gear carriers and use thier factory O-ring. If your keeping the p/s the above still applies to the upper balace shaft. I'm not sure how the lower carrier/ p/s bracket is adresses if p/s is retained. somone posted a pic of the kit a while back, you may e able to dig it up if you do a search.

Quick Reply: Guys who deleted Balance Shafts...