Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Quick Qs re. ball joint and lifting car

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2004, 02:28 PM
2+2
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quick Qs re. ball joint and lifting car

I just installed a slip on cat from SFR onto my test pipe this weekend (emissions coming up).

In order to do it, I jacked up the car on 4 jack stands for the first time (generally use Rhino ramps to do oil changes). I noticed that the rear of the car tended to lift higher than the front when lifing using the center lift point under the door. Is this normal as I thought 951 had near 50/50 balance? How do you then lift the front more without having to have the rear of the car like 3 feet off the floor?

Also, I checked by ball joints by placing a piece of wood in the wheel and gently prying up on the arm by the ball joint to see if there is any play in the control arm relative to the spindle components. My driver side had a bit of play....if I had to approximate, maybe 1 mm. Passenger side had none. What is considered acceptable play and unacceptable play?

TIA for your insight.
Old 05-10-2004, 04:19 PM
JustinL
Drifting

Received 179 Likes on 99 Posts

Check your front sway bar links and bushings. Mine lifted the back way up when I had a broken front link.

Justin
Old 05-10-2004, 06:22 PM
2+2
Pro

Interesting, everything looked normal when I was down there...or at least what can be seen with the tray still on. When I said that back is higher, I dont mean the wheels/tires but the whole body. Its also not by a huge margin but the rear of hte body did lift higher than the front....
Old 05-10-2004, 06:32 PM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How much gas did you have in the tank? A full tank of gas weighs ~150lbs, thats going to have a good sized effect on weight distribution.
Old 05-10-2004, 08:02 PM
2+2
Pro

Good point Adrial...but I had a nearly a full tank. BTW, how is your rebuild going?
Old 05-10-2004, 08:22 PM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It'll be coming together as soon as I get out of school (last final is on wensday and I'll be home on thursday). I have just about all the parts together, just need to combine them into an engine....sounds simple eh?

The weight distribution of my car with 5/8 of a tank was 51/49 (51% front)...

The rear being a little higher than the front is normal in my experience...

Any play in the balljoint is unnacceptable. Time to order Rennbay's rebuild kit. May as well do both while you're under there.
Old 05-11-2004, 11:37 AM
2+2
Pro

That sounds good....good luck on your final. I loved being in school......except for the exams.. hated those.

I will have to do a bit more research on what is involved in the ball joint before I comit to doing it my self. Sometimes, it is just better to pay someone else who knows exactly what they are doing.....

Quick Reply: Quick Qs re. ball joint and lifting car