Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Thanks to Tim at SFR and Danno at Guru, I have my low boost problem fixed......

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2004, 09:08 PM
3 Turbos

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks to Tim at SFR and Danno at Guru, I have my low boost problem fixed......

With all my vacum hoses replaced, new turbo, new MAF, new chips and new EVO billet diverter valve, I still could not get my 18lb boost to hold to redline. I was able to get 14.5lb from low rpm to redline on my low boost setting of my ProfecB, but on the high boost setting I was only able to get 16lbs to 5000rpm and drop to 14lb at 6800rpm.

Danno at Guru Racing gave me a hint on this board and Tim at SFR via a phone call suggested, as he put it, a ghetto(sp?) mod.

No matter what I tried in the past and many dollars, no one seem to be able to cure the problem. So here is what Tim at SFR suggested.

I added one washer at a time under the spring of my EVO valve to increase its spring rate, and after four 1/8" washers, VIOLA! I HAVE WHATEVER BOOST I WANT WITH NO DROP AT REDLINE!

The EVO valve still works and opens, but I'll bring it down to my mechanic to test the vacum in the EVO valve and make sure everything is properly opening/closing etc.

Thanks again Tim. Now I can install my new re-programed 18lb chips from Guru.

Dan can you tell me what initial settings I should set my ARC2 at before my next dyno runs?

Thanks again! Steve
Old 04-15-2004, 09:16 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

I changes the spring out in my reliaboost also. The one that was in there was like a spring from a ball point pen. I see and hold 18psi and still have about 4-5 turns left on the reliaboost.
Old 04-16-2004, 12:28 PM
TurboTim
Banned

Call me Steve for som settings.

Todd,

Steves blow-off valve was opening under boost because of the weak spring in it. So basicaly it would just recirculate the boost back into the inlet of the turbo instead of allowing it into the engine.Messing with the boost controller would not have helped in this situation.
Old 04-16-2004, 04:12 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

Oh, ok, gotcha. Yep, would not help
Old 04-16-2004, 07:52 PM
Gary Gaukler
Racer

Originally posted by toddk911
I changes the spring out in my reliaboost also. The one that was in there was like a spring from a ball point pen. I see and hold 18psi and still have about 4-5 turns left on the reliaboost.
Hi Todd,

Did that happen with a Reliaboost-2? How much boost were you getting before you changed to the stiffer spring?

I'm asking because I have a Reliaboost-2, and boost seems to be limited to 12psi, with the Reliaboost adjusted all the way.

Thanks,

Gary.
Old 04-17-2004, 12:35 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

Hey Gary, I replied to your pm.
Old 04-17-2004, 05:47 PM
Danno
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Steve, I mapped your chips based upon your dyno-charts that you sent me. So you should keep your ARC2 at the same settings as when you did that dyno-run. Then make minor corrections from there. I think I got it fairly flat for you in the high-end, so you shouldn't need major changes.
Old 04-18-2004, 01:56 AM
3 Turbos

Danno,

One question though, since my dyno plots showed my ARC2 settings at:

Low = 12:00
Med = 1:30
High = 8:30
Accel = 1:30

I hope my "High" setting gives me enough adjustment, because all the other settings around the 12:00 position, but the "High" is off to the lean side, so if I have to go leaner, my ARC2 might not be able to do so.

I guess I will know soon enough when I get it on a dyno. First opening is May 20th, so I will keep you posted.

Thanks, Steve

Quick Reply: Thanks to Tim at SFR and Danno at Guru, I have my low boost problem fixed......