Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Some Revolutionary Thoughts on Offset Crank Grinding

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2004, 06:25 PM
westcoastprshe
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sure, you should be precise at any size, but when you're talking about throwing that much metal around, you run a much bigger chance of some small problems causing a bigger one. Especially given the balance issues with a huge 4 banger.

The more you deviate from the factory parts and design, the more important it is to know what you are doing, and be very careful with how you are engineering the motor, I think that's a pretty safe statement.
Old 04-16-2004, 06:34 PM
BoostGuy951
Three Wheelin'

I hope you're able to call it 'frankenstein', and not 'grenade'
You know... for some reason I get the feeling that you hope I have to call it grenade.
Old 04-16-2004, 06:50 PM
westcoastprshe
Instructor

Come on now, I'm not hoping that you have problems. I fully expect you to have them, but I would be very happy if it works out for you.

This is the way it seems to me: A non-engineer (you) is attempting to build a 951 motor larger than pretty much any that have ever been built before using a mismash of parts without a really in-depth attempt to engineer the motor and do it right, but rather, do it on the cheap. It just sounds like a disaster waiting to happen (at the worse) or an interesting experiment that will not yield a reliable motor (at best). If my characterization of your effort is wrong, by all means explain how.

To do it right you have to consider rod angles, head design, compression ratio, weight of all the parts, how the balance shafts will affect everything. There's a reason that people pay JME $$$ for a 3.2L motor. Do you expect your engine to last 10k miles, 100k?
Old 04-16-2004, 07:02 PM
Burma Shave
Burning Brakes

Years ago I had a Plymouth Barracuda with a 318 v8(don't laugh) that everyone said couldn't make decent power. I also had a friend who's father built prostock fords. He said "that engine doesn't know what it is or if it has potential or not". Cheesy quote yes, but after some simple machining and common sense mods that same engine made well over 300hp. Nowdays that same engine is good for just over 400hp. Slightly ot I know, but a lot of good things are accomplished by people who don't know they can't. Nice to see somebody attempt to demystify these engines. Chevy parts are great for improving hp/$ ratio. Hard to believe for some, but precision can be acheived with domestic parts too. Btw "aggressive" goals are the ones worth striving for.
Old 04-16-2004, 07:24 PM
BoostGuy951
Three Wheelin'

A non-engineer (you) is attempting to build a 951 motor larger than pretty much any that have ever been built before using a mismash of parts without a really in-depth attempt to engineer the motor and do it right, but rather, do it on the cheap. It just sounds like a disaster waiting to happen (at the worse) or an interesting experiment that will not yield a reliable motor (at best). If my characterization of your effort is wrong, by all means explain how.
I could explain explain my reasoning. I could argue with you on this point for point. But, would it really matter? I would rather just build the engine and we will see how much power it makes, and how long it lasts. The one thing I will say is that I am not an engineer, you are correct. But you have no idea how "in-depth" I am really going, since you don't know me, and you are not supervising my build. You are entitled to your opinion on how this will turn out. But its pretty callous of you to say that I have no "in-depth attempt to engineer the motor", when you really dont have a clue as to whether or not this is true. I am not opposed to constructive criticism, but that is not what you are doing. If this motor grenades due to lack of "engineering" I am sure you will be there with a thousand "I told you so's". Until that happens I'd really appreciate it if you would stop posting on my thread.

Quick Reply: Some Revolutionary Thoughts on Offset Crank Grinding