Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

AOS R&R without Turbo removal???

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2019, 09:17 PM
Mike Goebel
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 65 Posts
Default AOS R&R without Turbo removal???

So I've been looking at the OAS for a while and thinking that it can be removed without removing the Turbo!! At first I thought about just bending the heat shield out of the way. But after further investigation I'm thinking that if I remove the downpipe bolts that "look" like they sandwich the heat shield in place it would not require turbo removal???

Please let me know anything that I have missed or just simply brain farted on as I'm drinking and thinking at the moment!!!

Thanks
Mike G,
Old 05-05-2019, 09:26 AM
PF
Rennlist Member

Received 364 Likes on 182 Posts

Hi Mike.

I managed to get the AOS out without taking out the Turbo once. It was a real pain since it is so very tight and that I had to sit on top of the engine. My knees really wanted to kill me afterwards. When I reinstalled I used a shorter bolt down by the heat shield since you will not be able to fit the stock length (when removing it the threads forces it out wich is not the case when refitting)

Good luck!
Peder

Originally Posted by Mike Goebel
So I've been looking at the OAS for a while and thinking that it can be removed without removing the Turbo!! At first I thought about just bending the heat shield out of the way. But after further investigation I'm thinking that if I remove the downpipe bolts that "look" like they sandwich the heat shield in place it would not require turbo removal???

Please let me know anything that I have missed or just simply brain farted on as I'm drinking and thinking at the moment!!!

Thanks
Mike G,
Old 05-05-2019, 01:16 PM
Seattle 993
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Mike and Peder, I am actually at the same point after I do an oil pan/rod bearing/motor mount replacement. Alternator is also out, th eject steps would be turbo removal and AOS. Is the turbo difficult to remove other than the mounting bolts? The internal hex bolts look like they need to be removed carefully.

it is amazing just how many parts must be removed to do simple repairs on this beast to have clearance.
Old 05-05-2019, 01:28 PM
bw993
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Do you have a spare AOS? If so, I have replaced the AOS without taking off the turbo by breaking off the existing AOS. This gets you access to the AOS bolts to remove and replace the AOS. I used to always have a spare AOS in my parts bin, just for this reason.
Old 05-05-2019, 02:17 PM
mahoney944
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I once replaced the aos without turbo removal but it's extremely tight getting the bolts in and out and took some creative tool combinations to fit into each area. For what it's worth I'd just remove the turbo and replace the flange oil orings on the top and bottom. The turbo is easy to remove once the alternator is out of the way
Old 05-05-2019, 04:04 PM
PF
Rennlist Member

Received 364 Likes on 182 Posts

Yes it is tight and crowded in there😊

Not difficult to remove the Turbo and if you do you can easily get to the AOS.

As I wrote I managed to change AOS and it seals without removing the Turbo but I would probably not do it again.

/Peder

Originally Posted by Seattle 993
Mike and Peder, I am actually at the same point after I do an oil pan/rod bearing/motor mount replacement. Alternator is also out, th eject steps would be turbo removal and AOS. Is the turbo difficult to remove other than the mounting bolts? The internal hex bolts look like they need to be removed carefully.

it is amazing just how many parts must be removed to do simple repairs on this beast to have clearance.
Old 05-05-2019, 04:50 PM
Mike Goebel
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mahoney944
I once replaced the aos without turbo removal but it's extremely tight getting the bolts in and out and took some creative tool combinations to fit into each area. For what it's worth I'd just remove the turbo and replace the flange oil orings on the top and bottom. The turbo is easy to remove once the alternator is out of the way
Damn it!! I just replaced the alternator about 1 year ago. HAHAHA!

So when working on a 951 this is the typical order of operation?

1) Remove car from engine ?
2) Do anything else that needs to be done.
3) Drink heavily!!!!

Thanks

Mike G.
Old 05-05-2019, 06:43 PM
Droops83
Three Wheelin'

Received 76 Likes on 64 Posts

Once the turbo is exposed, be sure to soak all of the bolts in your penetrating oil of choice, and be prepared for the possibility of a broken stud or two . . . .

If you are prepared for this, there might be a lesser chance of it happening.

Good luck!
Old 05-05-2019, 07:42 PM
mahoney944
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Goebel
Damn it!! I just replaced the alternator about 1 year ago. HAHAHA!

So when working on a 951 this is the typical order of operation?

1) Remove car from engine ?
2) Do anything else that needs to be done.
3) Drink heavily!!!!

Thanks

Mike G.
The turbos mounting bolts can be removed with extensions and swivels from underneath but if you remove the alternator you can get at them with a rachet and a 6mm Allen socket very easily from the top of the car without m-fing the car and the engineer who designed it lol.
Old 05-07-2019, 12:24 AM
Mike Goebel
Burning Brakes

I'm still trying to short cut removing the Turbo. Is it possible to remove the 2 stupidly located bolts that attach the turbo outlet pipe to the block and slide out the heat shield?? Actually they look like they are somewhat more accessible than some of the other stuff.

Thanks

Mike G.
Old 05-09-2019, 06:46 PM
Mike Goebel
Burning Brakes

Ok one more question. Is it possible to remove the 4 nuts that hold the downpipe onto the turbine exit while everything is still in the car? It looks like one of them is not removable and maybe that's why the instructions on Pelican shows the turbo removed with the downpipe still attached???

Thanks
Mike G.
Old 05-09-2019, 10:33 PM
Mike Goebel
Burning Brakes

Since no one is answering I will. NO! NO! NO!

Hahaha

Thanks
Mike G.
Old 05-10-2019, 09:42 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

with the 944 turbo a 'short cut" will usually take twice the effort and time compared to the factory manual way!!
Old 05-10-2019, 11:15 AM
Mike Goebel
Burning Brakes

Please send me a copy of the factory manual!!

Thanks
Mike G.
Old 05-10-2019, 11:33 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

do a google search, its everywhere!

Quick Reply: AOS R&R without Turbo removal???