Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

OPRV alignmant tool dimensions

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2019, 12:37 PM
Dash01
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default OPRV alignmant tool dimensions

I'm into the dreaded OPRV/oil cooler seal drama on my '86 951, but don't yet know if the OPRV has been upgraded or is the original early version.

The alignment tool is unavailable, or extremely expensive.

Question for anyone with an OPRV alignment tool suitable for the '86 car: What are the dimensions of the tool, and how far from the tip is the shoulder where the shaft enlarges? I plan to make on with a wood dowel rod.
Old 04-15-2019, 01:22 PM
931guru
Drifting

Received 289 Likes on 235 Posts

$23 is expensive??? Try the timing belt tension tool!

https://www.pelicanparts.com/More_Info/PEL-TOL-P218.htm
Old 04-16-2019, 02:25 PM
Dash01
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 931guru
$23 is expensive??? Try the timing belt tension tool!

https://www.pelicanparts.com/More_Info/PEL-TOL-P218.htm
Sorry, I'd missed that one, but found others discontinued or at about 3X that price....So, I nosed around and found that a HI-LITER brand Magic Marker thingy has a plastic barrel ~19mm at its base and tapers to ~16mm, so should work fine as a guide, or make somesuch of a wood dowel rod or broomstick. Mine '86 951 probably (unless already swapped for the later-version replacement) has the early 4-part version OPRV on my '86 951. If so, alignment is less critical than with the later version, as the unsheathed early spring has more lateral play space than the newer bolt type OPRV.

What extra complications to the turbo cars have with OPRV replacement due to our oil cooler hoses to the lower oil radiator, i.e., how much do the oil cooler hoses get in the way when fixing the OPRV?

Some YouTube videos show first removing the exhaust manifold, then working the OPRV from above on a NA car, but on an early-version turbo car, what's best? Seems to me, removing the exhaust manifold puts the studs at risk or damage, making lots of extra work, so it would be best to leave the turbo ex. manifold alone, and work from below the car. Others knowledgeable please chime in.

Quick Reply: OPRV alignmant tool dimensions