Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Fun with speed and reference sensors

Old 03-20-2019, 12:04 AM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 533 Likes on 287 Posts
Default Fun with speed and reference sensors

I've been gearing up for a new project and thought I'd share a bit. I may have misspoke in the video about the 200rpm test-spec, since I was looking at the speed sensor at the time, but thought this video may be of interest regardless to show how the sensor gap changes the output...

Old 03-20-2019, 12:39 AM
Dare
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cool test, Tom! Did you spin the flywheel by hand, or is there some sort of motor under there?

The next questions that come to mind: Is there any difference with the bell housing in place? What happens when the sensor bracket / bell housing are grounded?

BTW, any luck with those early DME boards? Did you figure out the ref/speed sensor circuits on those?

--Jay
Old 03-20-2019, 01:02 AM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dare
Cool test, Tom! Did you spin the flywheel by hand, or is there some sort of motor under there?

The next questions that come to mind: Is there any difference with the bell housing in place? What happens when the sensor bracket / bell housing are grounded?

BTW, any luck with those early DME boards? Did you figure out the ref/speed sensor circuits on those?

--Jay
I'm still working on those. I suspect it's a conditioned comparator of some kind, but I need to spend a little more time with it. I've been playing with my own circuits to condition the signals, and have discovered that the MAX9926 chip has taken VR signal triggering to a new level. Not sure which systems use it, or if it has issues in the real world, but on the bench it is extremely good at detecting VR pulses and distinguishing them from random noise.

No motor, I use a drill with bristle brush to get the flywheel spinning. It works, what can I say... I 3d printed a hub to mount the flywheel on, which sat over a bearing, but eventually I had the hub made in aluminum by a friend. You can see in the video that even the slightest run-out causes the signal to get stronger and weaker, so the plastic had to give way to metal...
Old 03-20-2019, 10:13 AM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

Received 157 Likes on 131 Posts

Very interesting indeed. FYI through my trials with the FAE brand sensors, I discovered that those are ever slightly different size: I set the gap using one of the FAE brand + .8mm washer and then installed a Bosch sensor in its place, noting a distinct drop in signal level. The difference is so slight that someone using aftermarket sensors wouldn't notice by eye but it could affect signal
Old 03-20-2019, 06:05 PM
KevinGross
Rennlist Member

Received 153 Likes on 100 Posts

Tom, cool video. Thanks for sharing. Where's this all headed?
Old 03-20-2019, 06:39 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by KevinGross
Tom, cool video. Thanks for sharing. Where's this all headed?
I have an idea. Stay tuned.
Old 03-21-2019, 12:37 PM
jerome951
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Thanks for sharing, Tom. Cool experiment.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fun with speed and reference sensors