Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Ceramic coated pistons & bearings are in w/ pics

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2004, 05:52 PM
Sam Lin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Yeah, thanks for bringing that up - you do need to do calculations for thermal expansion at that level. Not too difficult though.

Sam
Old 02-09-2004, 06:52 PM
Ben Z.
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tony-
You don't have a sectioned piece of coated piston, do you? I could probably tell you the composition if you are really interested.
Old 02-09-2004, 09:16 PM
Mike S
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Please post some pics of those parts when you get them back from swain. I was also more impressed with swain's technical knowledge than HPC's. However, swain quoted me 4-6 weeks turn around time where HPC has 6-10 day turn around in their Utah plant. Swain was also located in New York which couldn't be farther away. Anyways, I just want to see how the coatings look compared to the HPC stuff.
Old 02-10-2004, 02:04 AM
Danno
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

"o if the pistoins would go in without film, whatever the specis on the bore, we would go to .003 on the piston to wall clearence, right? So then if the coating on the piston was .0015 (hypothetically), then we would run a total piston to bore clearence of .0015? "

yeah, if it was easy to determine the exact thickness of the coating. But after talking with the HPC folks, they couldn't give me a definitely answer as to the thickness of their coating or even if they can control it with any precision. So I recommend boring to spec. with bare pistons first, then sending them out to get coated.
Old 02-10-2004, 11:13 AM
alengyel
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Will do Mike, but it will be a little while. I had to send them ground to save any money possible. Thats one week out to NY, turn around time and one week back. The biggest issue was the bond to the aluminum. I am porting the exhaust due to cracked liners, its not that hard to do, and the thought of shredding the turbo scares the crap out of me.
Old 02-10-2004, 12:54 PM
BC
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally posted by Danno
"o if the pistoins would go in without film, whatever the specis on the bore, we would go to .003 on the piston to wall clearence, right? So then if the coating on the piston was .0015 (hypothetically), then we would run a total piston to bore clearence of .0015? "

yeah, if it was easy to determine the exact thickness of the coating. But after talking with the HPC folks, they couldn't give me a definitely answer as to the thickness of their coating or even if they can control it with any precision. So I recommend boring to spec. with bare pistons first, then sending them out to get coated.

So finish the bore to .003 as JE says and then get them coated, knowing that the coating would not be that thick?

Quick Reply: Ceramic coated pistons & bearings are in w/ pics