Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

NA vs Turbo coolant overflow money saving...

Old 02-14-2019, 02:19 PM
Jay Wellwood
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 267 Likes on 154 Posts

Good info. Still, a check valve is cheap....
Old 02-14-2019, 02:39 PM
finally!
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay Wellwood
Good info. Still, a check valve is cheap....
The original tank did not have a checkvalve, jsut to be on safe side I have placed an order with Sunset
Old 02-14-2019, 03:24 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 295 Likes on 231 Posts

Kudos for trying which is always appreciated. However I’m very skeptical about projects like this especially if they involve modifying parts that are actually designed and built very well and last a long while.

The coolant tanks are proven to perform well and do their job for 20+ years without needing anything, btw that actually makes them very, very cost effective. Adding, first another outlet, and then an external check valve, to make it not as good as the original part (ie: not improving it whatsoever) while making its function less reliable by adding two further points of failure, seems a retrograde step just to save what, just over $100. It’s been previously looked at on a number of other threads like this one with the same conclusion.

I think sometimes, on certain parts like the coolant tank, engine mounts, etc, where the original parts work very well, are proven to last a long time and the aftermarket versions or any workarounds are all inferior, you just have to bite the bullet.
Old 02-14-2019, 04:06 PM
finally!
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by MAGK944
Kudos for trying which is always appreciated. However I’m very skeptical about projects like this especially if they involve modifying parts that are actually designed and built very well and last a long while.

The coolant tanks are proven to perform well and do their job for 20+ years without needing anything, btw that actually makes them very, very cost effective. Adding, first another outlet, and then an external check valve, to make it not as good as the original part (ie: not improving it whatsoever) while making its function less reliable by adding two further points of failure, seems a retrograde step just to save what, just over $100. It’s been previously looked at on a number of other threads like this one with the same conclusion.

I think sometimes, on certain parts like the coolant tank, engine mounts, etc, where the original parts work very well, are proven to last a long time and the aftermarket versions or any workarounds are all inferior, you just have to bite the bullet.

Thanks! Does seem odd that the original tank has no signs of any valves of any kind in it or the nipples..
Old 02-14-2019, 04:10 PM
shortyboy
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

Its not a check valve per se, but a flapper door i think.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: NA vs Turbo coolant overflow money saving...