Looking for cheap DME or two... - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Notices

Looking for cheap DME or two...

Old 02-05-2019, 04:30 PM
Tom M'Guinn
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default Looking for cheap DME or two...

Doesn't need to work, just scavenging for parts -- put your dead DME to good use.
Old 02-05-2019, 06:35 PM
gruhsy
Addict
Rennlist Member

What parts are you looking for? Might be able to track down some scrap parts at my work.
Old 02-05-2019, 11:10 PM
dme
Addict
Rennlist Member

I thought cheap and DME were mutually exclusive?
Old 02-06-2019, 01:03 AM
Amalgamated Tom

Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by gruhsy View Post
What parts are you looking for? Might be able to track down some scrap parts at my work.
Looking for the S100 chip and the main connector. Both need to be de-soldered from the main board though, so I'd take just the boards if you had some handy. Thanks!
Old 02-06-2019, 03:10 AM
Dare
Addict
Rennlist Member

Whoa Tom! Your split personality is showing! :-)

Do the early DMEs contain the S100 chip? If so, I just gutted one and you're welcome to have the board.
Old 02-06-2019, 01:20 PM
Amalgamated Tom

Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Oops, I keep doing that. I signed up as a sponsor after inadvertently cornering the market in 991 rear license plate mounts.
https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1046...l#post15557855

And in support of my flagship Track Nanny product for the GT3/4 crowd:
https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...ontroller.html

And let's not forget the SpeedoBooster for the 951:
https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turb...dobooster.html

Wildly shameless plugs over, yes, I would think all 944 DME's have that same chip. I'll put plenty of that left-over board to good use, and happy to return the favor if you need anything. Will PM you now.
Old 02-06-2019, 01:25 PM
gruhsy
Addict
Rennlist Member

Tom can you post a photo of the S100 chip?

I don't have access to my Rogue DME to look at right now.
Old 02-06-2019, 02:54 PM
Amalgamated Tom

Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by gruhsy View Post
Tom can you post a photo of the S100 chip?

I don't have access to my Rogue DME to look at right now.
It's marked on the board as S100. It's a 14-pin DIP chip -- standard 80's package -- that processes the raw speed and reference sensor signals and turns them into nice clean digital pulses for the processor. It's something of a mystery chip inside, but is engineered to work and work well with the 944's signals. It's my understanding that Focus 9/Rouge DME used old S100 chips harvested from old boxes, presumably because it's known to work well without triggering problems, yet has no known exact modern-day replacement. I'll see if I can snap a picture when next looking at one.
Old 02-06-2019, 03:33 PM
87944turbo
Addict
Rennlist Member

I have DME that "somebody" broke off one of the legs from a chip when removing the chip from the board. Let me know if it sounds like something you might be interested in.
Old 02-06-2019, 04:39 PM
Dan Martinic
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Amalgamated Tom View Post
Oops, I keep doing that. I signed up as a sponsor after inadvertently cornering the market in 991 rear license plate mounts.
https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1046...l#post15557855

And in support of my flagship Track Nanny product for the GT3/4 crowd:
https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...ontroller.html

And let's not forget the SpeedoBooster for the 951:
https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turb...dobooster.html

Wildly shameless plugs over, yes, I would think all 944 DME's have that same chip. I'll put plenty of that left-over board to good use, and happy to return the favor if you need anything. Will PM you now.
Hey Tom these are very cool! I am not quite sure what the Track Nanny is (even after reading the thread--change exhaust volume? Huh?) but the boost gauge has prompted a question and I'm not up to searching for the answer that surely exists: from your experiments in developing, what would you say the average stock boost gauge reads at 1 and 2 bar in actual psi?
Old 02-06-2019, 05:38 PM
Tom M'Guinn
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 87944turbo View Post
I have DME that "somebody" broke off one of the legs from a chip when removing the chip from the board. Let me know if it sounds like something you might be interested in.
Sure, I'll PM you. Thanks!
Old 02-06-2019, 05:58 PM
Tom M'Guinn
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dan Martinic View Post
Hey Tom these are very cool! I am not quite sure what the Track Nanny is (even after reading the thread--change exhaust volume? Huh?) but the boost gauge has prompted a question and I'm not up to searching for the answer that surely exists: from your experiments in developing, what would you say the average stock boost gauge reads at 1 and 2 bar in actual psi?
Well, by definition, it reads 14.5038 and 29.0076 psia at 1 and 2 on the gauge, respectively. At sea level, that means 1 shows a very slight vacuum compared to a standard 14.7 pressure (which is why the gauge will typically sit just above the 1 with the engine off and ignition on). At sea level, that would mean that 2 on the gauge translates to roughly 29 minus 14.7 or 14.3psi of "boost" above atmospheric. Most of my tests have shown the factory gauges to be in that neighborhood, but because the needle and dash are both thick, and because the needle sits away from the face by a good bit and is dependent on the viewing angle, it's hard to get/test real precision on the gauge. One of the things I did with the SpeedoBooster is let the user remap the gauge so that the 1 and 2 represent just boost and no vacuum (either 1 bar and 2 bar, or 10psi and 20psi or more). The factory gauge will never compete with an accurate digital gauge for outright precision, but at least with it remapped, you can tell if you are going to 20 when you only wanted 17, etc.
Old 02-06-2019, 09:36 PM
Dan Martinic
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks Tom. I can see how it would be hard to tell between 10 psi boost (1.7) and 14 (2) on that gauge, never mind trying to go a bit over. Neat device you make there

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: