Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Oil Flow confusion?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2019, 03:41 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 632 Likes on 490 Posts

i cannot say for certain the orientation of the hoses at the cooler, but the pictures all suggest flow from the top down.

my comments are only certain for the ports on the engine.

but IMO, i don't think it matters. though i would continue running your cooler in the direction it has been running since the cooler gets oil before the filter, so it's acting as a first stage filter of sorts.

plumbing it backwards could dislodge any material stuck in the cooler matrix and send it into the actual oil filter (or the oil filter bypass in certain circumstances), feeding your engine with shrapnel.
Old 01-27-2019, 04:00 PM
PF
Rennlist Member

Received 364 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by V2Rocket
i cannot say for certain the orientation of the hoses at the cooler, but the pictures all suggest flow from the top down.

my comments are only certain for the ports on the engine.

but IMO, i don't think it matters. though i would continue running your cooler in the direction it has been running since the cooler gets oil before the filter, so it's acting as a first stage filter of sorts.

plumbing it backwards could dislodge any material stuck in the cooler matrix and send it into the actual oil filter (or the oil filter bypass in certain circumstances), feeding your engine with shrapnel.
Thanks yes it sure seems Porsche fed the oil from the top on the OEM setup.
I will not use a 951 cooler. I am building a 968 Turbo S replica and I am copying Porsches setup on those cars with twin coolers. They used a stock 968 cooler on the passenger side and 968 tiptronic cooler on the driver side. See pic of my car attached.
I have not yet found any pics of a factory 968 Turbo S oil line setup but just how they mounted the coolers which led me to this predicament with flow direction.

I will now feed the bottom port of the 968 cooler from the left port on the housing and then let it exit the cooler on the top of the cooler. From there I will lead the oil

to the bottom port on the 968 tiptronic cooler on the driver side and finally a new line from the top of that cooler to the port by the oilfilter IE return fitting. That seems correct ?
Old 01-27-2019, 04:37 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

since you have freedom of design i would plumb the dual coolers parallel rather than in series.
double the cooling capacity and less pressure drop.

series plumbing would be somewhat less than double the capacity of a single cooler because the delta-T of the secondary cooler is lower.
Old 01-27-2019, 04:59 PM
PF
Rennlist Member

since you have freedom of design i would plumb the dual coolers parallel rather than in series.
double the cooling capacity and less pressure drop.

series plumbing would be somewhat less than double the capacity of a single cooler because the delta-T of the secondary cooler is lower.
Ok interesting, how would I do that? I do not want to move any of the coolers position.
Old 01-27-2019, 05:15 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

instead of:

engine->cooler->cooler->engine

you use 2 "tee" fittings.

Old 01-27-2019, 05:31 PM
PF
Rennlist Member

instead of:

engine->cooler->cooler->engine

you use 2 "tee" fittings.

Ok thanks! Does the length of the lines too and from the coolers to the "T:s" have to be aqual length? Would be easier and look better if that didnt matter so the T:s would be on the same side as the filter housing and a nice neat routing could be made.
​​
Old 01-28-2019, 12:35 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Itd probably be ideal but not practical as hose is sold by the foot, and you'd have to loop it back on itself to package, probably.
Old 01-28-2019, 08:43 AM
PF
Rennlist Member

Ok thanks everyone for your input.

Seems settled that the pressure connection on the housing is the left on the pic I first posted and the connection next to the oilfilter is return from the cooler.
Old 01-28-2019, 10:00 AM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 295 Likes on 231 Posts

Just read through this very confusing thread and I still can’t make any sense of the question being asked or the answers given. The oil cooler is on the pressure side of the oil system in a 944, both lines in/out of the cooler housing are pressurized and both lines in/out of the oil cooler are pressurized. Really doesn’t matter which way they are connected as the cooler doesn’t have a flow direction arrow, the 951 oil cooler doesn’t and afaik most aftermarket oil coolers don’t either.

Btw the unpressurized (sump pressure) or “return” side of our oil system are the engine oil galleries post the balance shafts and turbo.

Last edited by MAGK944; 01-28-2019 at 10:26 AM.
Old 01-28-2019, 12:26 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Mike,
Terms are mixed but in this case "pressure" can be read as "hot oil".

There was confusion whether the oil flows into the top or the bottom port of the stock cooler.
Old 01-28-2019, 12:39 PM
PF
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MAGK944
Just read through this very confusing thread and I still can’t make any sense of the question being asked or the answers given. The oil cooler is on the pressure side of the oil system in a 944, both lines in/out of the cooler housing are pressurized and both lines in/out of the oil cooler are pressurized. Really doesn’t matter which way they are connected as the cooler doesn’t have a flow direction arrow, the 951 oil cooler doesn’t and afaik most aftermarket oil coolers don’t either.

Btw the unpressurized (sump pressure) or “return” side of our oil system are the engine oil galleries post the balance shafts and turbo.
Yes its confusing isnt it! But just to clarify.
I read everywhere that you need to feed your oilcooler from the bottom to get the correct cooling effect!? Since I am building a 968 Turbo S replica I want to do it as Porsche did on the factory cars. However I have not been able to find info on how they fed the twincooler setup these cars had but my guess is that they were connected in series. In order to feed the oil to the bottom connection on the cooler I needed to know from wich connection the oil is coming from on the housing. That clears why I asked?

After this though there seem to be different opinions on which connection oil flow is coming from and to which port Porsche fed the stock cooler and also the importance of the question all together?

I am in no way an expert on the topic which led me to the question first hand.

My summary of this thread is pressure side is the left connection on the housing and return is next to the oilfilter. Porsche did not feed the stock cooler from the bottom but from the top and it seems that it really does not matter anyhow! Confusing enough
Old 01-28-2019, 01:04 PM
H.F.B.
Pro

Received 99 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by PF
...Porsche did not feed the stock cooler from the bottom but from the top and it seems that it really does not matter anyhow! Confusing enough
Remember? --> https://rennlist.com/forums/968-foru...l#post15076676
Old 01-28-2019, 01:15 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 295 Likes on 231 Posts

Post corrected so never mind
Old 01-28-2019, 01:50 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PF
I read everywhere that you need to feed your oilcooler from the bottom to get the correct cooling effect!?
...so then why does your radiator take hot water at the top and put out cooled water at the bottom....
...or AC condenser for that matter.

AFAIK the "oil cooler from the bottom" is purely for pushing air out of the system.
Old 01-28-2019, 02:05 PM
gruhsy
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

...so then why does your radiator take hot water at the top and put out cooled water at the bottom....
...or AC condenser for that matter.

AFAIK the "oil cooler from the bottom" is purely for pushing air out of the system.
There was a post by Michael Mount regarding the proper orientation of fittings on an oil cooler. Search for it on here and he mentions the reason for the proper way I believe. I do not remember what the specific detail was off the top of my head.

Quick Reply: Oil Flow confusion?