Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

VR1 Oil Sale

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2019, 04:42 PM
bradthebold
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VR1 Oil Sale

Crazy VR1 sale on amazon. $16.46 for a case of 6 quarts of 20w-50. Also $12.44 for a case of 10W-30.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...-no-redirect=1
Old 01-04-2019, 04:54 PM
Cloud9...68
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

That is a good deal - anybody around here use it, specifically in a car that's tracked extensively?
Old 01-04-2019, 11:22 PM
Cloud9...68
Burning Brakes

I just noticed this is the non-synthetic version of VR1 - the price seemed way too good to be true for synthetic. So what's the feeling on this oil? I've been using Driven HR3 15W50, and have no complaints, but since my car is primarily a track car, I have to change the oil fairly often, and the HR3 turns that into a fairly expensive proposition. But HR3 is full synthetic. Any thoughts on how many track hours is a reasonable interval for a synthetic like HR3, vs. the dino version of VR1? Thanks.
Old 01-05-2019, 10:48 AM
GPA951s
Three Wheelin'

Received 270 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by Cloud9...68
That is a good deal - anybody around here use it, specifically in a car that's tracked extensively?
I use it , two reasons, One it has the Zinc, and Two, I can Find it at Autozone as opposed to mail order... Just in case I need some and forgot to put it in the trailer..

Thanks for the heads up! Just ordered 3 cases.... My car takes about 9 to 10 Quarts because I have the lindsey 3x oil cooler... cant beat that price and free shipping!
Old 01-05-2019, 10:56 AM
Cloud9...68
Burning Brakes

But how does it stand up vs. a synthetic like HR3? Both have high levels of zinc, and are designed for older, flat-tappet engines like ours, so let's say for the sake of argument that both do an equivalent job of lubrication and protection. But if I have to change the VR1 three times as often as the HR3, it isn't a better value. How many races/sessions/hours (whatever is easiest to measure) do you go between oil changes with the VR1? Thanks.
Old 01-05-2019, 11:25 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

too bad it's not a case of 7 or 8 to make a full fillup on a 944, and have some to top off the inevitable leaks...

killer price though.
Old 01-05-2019, 11:27 AM
GPA951s
Three Wheelin'

But how does it stand up vs. a synthetic like HR3? Both have high levels of zinc, and are designed for older, flat-tappet engines like ours, so let's say for the sake of argument that both do an equivalent job of lubrication and protection. But if I have to change the VR1 three times as often as the HR3, it isn't a better value. How many races/sessions/hours (whatever is easiest to measure) do you go between oil changes with the VR1? Thanks.
Good Question, I find that when it comes to discussions of oil get about as complicated as talking about politics. I can only speak from experience. the first thing that one needs to consider is the condition of the engine, the 2nd is the tune. I built my engine, and put an electromotive standalone on it. I tracked it a few times and blew a headgasket. When i took the engine apart the bearings looked like the day I put them in. I took the car to RPR Tuning and Dyno tuned it...after 10 to 12 track days the oil still looks beautiful and the car just runs awesome, 15lbs of boost.... My oil pressure is always good but I have that huge cooler on it so that may be why, because I never overheat it. My personal opinion is that if anyone looses an engine it is typically related to something else other than the brand of oil. (Typical no 2 Rod bearing failure) or poor clearances... One thing that I will do is Cut my oil filter apart and open up the webbing and look at it in the sun to check for metallic particles. I DID check the data sheet on it and it really does have (the most ive seen) Zddp (zinc). The availability of it and the zinc is purely why I chose it... Short of that you need a college Doctoral to truly understand all the tech in oils, I have a book that was published by Royal Purple and the reading is just dry and boring that every time I open it I just want to take a nap... in a nutshell, so far so good with this oil.
Old 01-05-2019, 11:58 AM
Cloud9...68
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by GPA951s
Good Question, I find that when it comes to discussions of oil get about as complicated as talking about politics. I can only speak from experience. the first thing that one needs to consider is the condition of the engine, the 2nd is the tune. I built my engine, and put an electromotive standalone on it. I tracked it a few times and blew a headgasket. When i took the engine apart the bearings looked like the day I put them in. I took the car to RPR Tuning and Dyno tuned it...after 10 to 12 track days the oil still looks beautiful and the car just runs awesome, 15lbs of boost.... My oil pressure is always good but I have that huge cooler on it so that may be why, because I never overheat it. My personal opinion is that if anyone looses an engine it is typically related to something else other than the brand of oil. (Typical no 2 Rod bearing failure) or poor clearances... One thing that I will do is Cut my oil filter apart and open up the webbing and look at it in the sun to check for metallic particles. I DID check the data sheet on it and it really does have (the most ive seen) Zddp (zinc). The availability of it and the zinc is purely why I chose it... Short of that you need a college Doctoral to truly understand all the tech in oils, I have a book that was published by Royal Purple and the reading is just dry and boring that every time I open it I just want to take a nap... in a nutshell, so far so good with this oil.
Thanks for the quick and thorough response. I couldn't agree more - discussions of oil rival those of politics and religion, so I definitely don't want to go down that rat hole with this discussion. My questions pertain purely to economics. I'm sure both HR3 and VR1 are excellent oils, but HR3 costs more than three times as much, plus it's only available via mail order. So I can change the VR3 twice as often as the HR3 and still be money ahead. You say you went 10 to 12 track days (I assume about two hours of track time per day, so over 20 track hours, which is quite a lot), with good results, which indicates VR1 may in fact be a good alternative to an expensive synthetic like HR3, especially in a non-boosted engine like mine. Definitely considering this...
Old 01-05-2019, 12:36 PM
GPA951s
Three Wheelin'

Thanks for the quick and thorough response. I couldn't agree more - discussions of oil rival those of politics and religion, so I definitely don't want to go down that rat hole with this discussion. My questions pertain purely to economics. I'm sure both HR3 and VR1 are excellent oils, but HR3 costs more than three times as much, plus it's only available via mail order. So I can change the VR3 twice as often as the HR3 and still be money ahead. You say you went 10 to 12 track days (I assume about two hours of track time per day, so over 20 track hours, which is quite a lot), with good results, which indicates VR1 may in fact be a good alternative to an expensive synthetic like HR3, especially in a non-boosted engine like mine. Definitely considering this...

Yes about 2 to three hrs/ day... I also drive the car on the street, (Not much just cars and coffee or take it for a rip when I feel like) With the exception of 944 Fest, Holy cow did I get allot of track time.. almost had to goto the gas station, went through almost 40 Gallons of fuel... I cant wait till this years 944 fest nelson Ledges was a Blast! I ordered 3 cases, and it was 47 bucks or so.. Free Shipping... Im actually fabricating another "Stacker" rack today so I get on the net when i let my welder cool down.. hence my timely response
Old 01-05-2019, 02:36 PM
mtnman82
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I just tried to order several cases and got a pop up that it cannot be shipped to my address. I'm in California. I've ordered VR-1 from Amazon in the past. Is there some new CA law that came into effect?
Old 01-05-2019, 06:31 PM
GPA951s
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by mtnman82
I just tried to order several cases and got a pop up that it cannot be shipped to my address. I'm in California. I've ordered VR-1 from Amazon in the past. Is there some new CA law that came into effect?
Weird? Pretty sure it is an "off road" oil becasue of the zinc... I DID read the label of a bottle I have here in the shop and it does say " Not recommended for extended use in vehicles equipped with catalytic converters". Never noticed that, but doesn't affect me because the racecar is straight piped... Toss in your work addder and see what happens? maybe its a residential thing?
Old 01-05-2019, 08:27 PM
Cloud9...68
Burning Brakes

Crap!!!!! I procrastinated too long - I finally decided to pull the trigger and order a couple of cases, and the sale is over. Been that kind of a day...
Old 01-06-2019, 02:43 PM
mtnman82
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GPA951s
Weird? Pretty sure it is an "off road" oil becasue of the zinc... I DID read the label of a bottle I have here in the shop and it does say " Not recommended for extended use in vehicles equipped with catalytic converters". Never noticed that, but doesn't affect me because the racecar is straight piped... Toss in your work addder and see what happens? maybe its a residential thing?
Yep, I tried several different addresses - all over the state, but no luck. I did reach out to Amazon and they got back to me saying shipping to my area was restricted. I asked if it was all of CA or just my area and they said it looked like it was all of CA. I'm guessing (hoping) it's just an Amazon thing because I get a lot of the specialty fluids (specific motor oils, transmission fluids, etc) mail order no problem in the past and know the last case of VR-1 was shipped to my door step. Friggin' California...
Old 01-06-2019, 03:29 PM
951and944S
Race Car

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by mtnman82
Yep, I tried several different addresses - all over the state, but no luck. I did reach out to Amazon and they got back to me saying shipping to my area was restricted. I asked if it was all of CA or just my area and they said it looked like it was all of CA. I'm guessing (hoping) it's just an Amazon thing because I get a lot of the specialty fluids (specific motor oils, transmission fluids, etc) mail order no problem in the past and know the last case of VR-1 was shipped to my door step. Friggin' California...
More likely google spying and knows you don't have off road vehicle...,

No soup for you....

Next time something like this, just make a request here, I can buy and fwd to you.

In the mean time, I think I will fwd this info to DJT.

All we have to do is fund a free 1qt per person handout of VR1 to illegals and California will never let them in...

T
Old 01-06-2019, 07:32 PM
Cloud9...68
Burning Brakes

But it's all moot at this point, as the sale is over. Man, that was fast - won't blink and miss it the next time.

Quick Reply: VR1 Oil Sale