Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

[Msg for Danno]- You mentioned a 350rwhp set up...

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2004, 10:14 AM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Laust, so is this R&D you are working on alone or you and Danno??

TurboTimmy, is it possible to run straight methanal injection?? Wouldn't you loose a lot of the cooling effect by not running water as well??
Old 02-18-2004, 07:36 PM
TurboTommy
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Todd, you can absolutely run straight methanol as a supplementary injection. Methanol has about half the cooling capability by weight; so you just have to run more of it. Couple of things to consider though: you need have components (pump, lines, injector, etc.) that can deal with the corrosiveness of pure methanol. Also, with greater amounts of methanol you need to calculate it as part of your fuel at the cut in point (not as much as you might think, though, because of the richer air/fuel ratio of methanol).

Laust,
you are probably just testing things out to see what the limitations are. But your turbo is way to small for 30 psi. You are probably seeing around 35 psi in front of the IC, which the compressor can only achieve within very low flow ranges. Your high boost at low RPM, falling torque as RPM rises, noise from the turbo, are all indications of this. You have huge back pressure, where you're losing half the power that was supposed to come from the boost in the first place. You'd make the same power (if not more) by running 18 - 20 psi boost with just enough water to ward off detonation.

As far as the natural water in regards to the chemical reaction is concerned, I'm not a chemist either. But, what I do know is that the by-products(the amount of H2O, NO, etc.) are not of any interest to us power heads. The steam that you're talking about is vapour, but it started out in vapour form so there is no work been done there. All we care about is the amount of energy liberated by the original input reactants (air and type of fuel). And there, at the input, the higher the water content in the air, the less potential energy can be liberated, EVERYTHING ELSE BEING EQUAL. So, the amount you're injecting is a high percentage compared to what normally would be available.
Old 02-21-2004, 06:04 PM
Laust Pedersen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Todd911,

I started alone, but am now working with Danno. He will get a "pre-production" water injection system installed on his car very soon.
We are working on a few other goodies as well.

Laust
Old 02-21-2004, 11:28 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Danno...

That's a bunch of BS. You didn't do the headwork. I know the owner of the car.

I didn't realize who the car belonged to until he called me to discuss that dyno chart. Then I realized exactly who it was and told him that Guru was posting that they did the head work. He laughed. He laughed because I knew what was up with that car LONG before that dyno run... and Shane new it. (Shane works at Porsche/Audi)

Don't take credit for work that isn't yours....

TonyG

Quick Reply: [Msg for Danno]- You mentioned a 350rwhp set up...