Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

First car -> Am I way in over my head?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2018, 09:38 PM
carnoob
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First car -> Am I way in over my head?

I've always been a big fan of the Porsche 944 and I want to purchase one for my senior year. A local seller was selling a 1983 944 with the description as:

1983 Porsche 944 in Guards Red. Car is running and driving but NOT WELL. The rod bearing is going bad in the engine so it will need a rebuild to run perfectly. Prior to this, the car ran well. Car is great for parts or repair. Will likely run about 20-25 miles safely before the engine causes serious concern. Car does pass smog, and does have a timing belt change within the last two years. Has a new brake booster and master cylinder. 5 Speed manual, clutch is in good condition.

In terms of fixing this car, as a high schooler with no access to any professional lift system, is this even possible?
Old 12-07-2018, 01:02 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by carnoob
I've always been a big fan of the Porsche 944 and I want to purchase one for my senior year. A local seller was selling a 1983 944 with the description as:

1983 Porsche 944 in Guards Red. Car is running and driving but NOT WELL. The rod bearing is going bad in the engine so it will need a rebuild to run perfectly. Prior to this, the car ran well. Car is great for parts or repair. Will likely run about 20-25 miles safely before the engine causes serious concern. Car does pass smog, and does have a timing belt change within the last two years. Has a new brake booster and master cylinder. 5 Speed manual, clutch is in good condition.

In terms of fixing this car, as a high schooler with no access to any professional lift system, is this even possible?
Stay clear. these cars can cost $$$$$ real quick.
If you love the 944, spend the money on one with lower K's on it and or looked after well.

FYI this is the turbo section.
You'll have more response to the N/A models here.
http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...-968-forum-70/
Old 12-07-2018, 01:19 AM
carnoob
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for your response. I guess I'd have better luck spending a little more on the purchase rather than paying up later on.
Old 12-07-2018, 08:54 AM
mwc951
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

After 20 years of ownership...I often wonder if I'm in over my head!
Old 12-07-2018, 11:26 AM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

Received 157 Likes on 131 Posts

If you buy a good running good shape one, you're already in over your head--never mind one with big issues up front
Old 12-07-2018, 12:50 PM
mj951
Rennlist Member

Received 121 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by carnoob
Will likely run about 20-25 miles safely before the engine causes serious concern.
If the current owner told you this, that would have been the time to leave the conversation.
If you believe that statement, you're in over your head.

And as others have said, find a cleaner running car and enjoy it.
They all need some amount of TLC and work done to them to keep them on the road. We've all been there.
Old 12-08-2018, 10:40 AM
ekoz
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've owned mine for 20 years....had a 924S prior to that so essentially have had one my entire working life. I was thinking about getting one for my daughter when she turned 16....They are "cheap" and I can pretty much fix anything on them. Be we gave her wife's BMW 328i. Main reason.....better safety features. Modern cars are just built much safer. These are fun cars but at 30+ years of age....wires, computers, etc can and will give you headaches.

Not to go Dad mode on you but your in high school.....focus on college, career, business, whatever you want to pursue so you can buy a new 911 or Cayman in the future.

Can't make money if you can't get to work because a Speed Sensor failed.

But to answer your question....In terms of fixing this car, as a high schooler with no access to any professional lift system, is this even possible? Yes...(assuming you have money for parts...and time to learn)
Old 12-10-2018, 01:16 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 533 Likes on 287 Posts

Don't buy it! A shop will charge more than the car is worth to change the rod bearings. If you try to fix it yourself, by the time it's back together, you will likely be contemplating retirement after a long and successful career at the Flying Car Company.
Old 12-10-2018, 01:54 PM
jerome951
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

First of all, certainly run away (quickly) from the car you're considering. Picking it up for free would be paying too much.
There are decent cars out there where the seller has taken reasonable care of it. Doesn't sound like the case with this car.

That said, these cars are a lot of work and new parts can be reasonably expensive. I've also had my car for 20 years. The first several I was certainly in over my head, but with a lot of time and $$ (and a lot of help from this and previous forums) I've now got my nose above the waterline. Then again, I've spent $$$ on tools, professional shop repairs, and spares that didn't solve a problem, to get to this point.

If you're in the DC area, come and help me replace speed/reference sensors and the associated wiring harness to the DME after the Christmas holiday. If you can manage that task without giving up, you may just be all-right. I'll provide free encouragement and coaching. ;-)
Old 12-10-2018, 02:40 PM
beamishnz
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by jerome951
First of all, certainly run away (quickly) from the car you're considering. Picking it up for free would be paying too much.
There are decent cars out there where the seller has taken reasonable care of it. Doesn't sound like the case with this car.

That said, these cars are a lot of work and new parts can be reasonably expensive. I've also had my car for 20 years. The first several I was certainly in over my head, but with a lot of time and $$ (and a lot of help from this and previous forums) I've now got my nose above the waterline. Then again, I've spent $$$ on tools, professional shop repairs, and spares that didn't solve a problem, to get to this point.

If you're in the DC area, come and help me replace speed/reference sensors and the associated wiring harness to the DME after the Christmas holiday. If you can manage that task without giving up, you may just be all-right. I'll provide free encouragement and coaching. ;-)
That is a very good offer! If you are interested in these cars take Jerome up on it. You will get a real taste for what is involved. I enjoy the challenge of working on them but I would rate them as 4* (out of 5) on the difficultly scale of accessible classics. Same period BMW and Mercs are somewhat easier in my experience.... I have examples of all the above but 'enjoy' the 944 more than any other car. 'Interesting' engineering.

Quick Reply: First car -> Am I way in over my head?