Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Why does my clutch feel like this?!?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2004, 02:46 AM
Zu_langsam
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why does my clutch feel like this?!?

I have been over this with a few knowledgeable people and searched but no luck. This has to be the hardest thing that I have ever tried to explain but i will give it a shot. I have an intermitant (but there %80 of the time) sort of vibration from my clutch pedal. This vibrayion is felt when i depress the pedal, It is rough feeling. The vibration seems like it is coming from a rotational source, it is there at a stop in neutral, driving, whenever but it is worse at certain rpms. Now somtimes i will drive on the highway in 5th for a while, go to push in the clutch and its gone, the clutch feels great, i drive it like this for a while and the problem slowy recurs and stays for days. This is not a little vibration that I am feeling, it is prominant and the best way that I can describe it is a rough feeling through the pedal. What could this be? All of the things that I can think of just wouldnt be intermitant like this and it is driving me crazy! Thanks!
Old 01-29-2004, 03:04 AM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,165 Likes on 574 Posts

throw-out bearing gone?
Old 01-29-2004, 03:19 AM
reno928s
Pro

I experinced the same type of pulsation in the pedal. While replacing my clutch, my mechanick showed me the old throwout bearing. It looked completely burnt. The PO had the flywheel resurfaced, but just to be on the safe side I had that replaced also. Reno
Old 01-29-2004, 03:39 AM
atinybug
Racer

have the door open with the engine off and push in the clutch, if u hear a clicking sorta noise it's more than likely the throw out bearing
Old 01-29-2004, 04:15 AM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've felt this on several of my 951's... it's a light vibration when you push in the clutch in from speed.... At idle, it's not there.

It's the throw out bearing, but that doesn't mean that anything is going to "go", nor does it mean that the clutch is worn out.

It just seems as though they do this after a while around the mid life of the clutch.

Pretty common in my experience.

I suspect that the throw out bearings are not of the highest quality to begin with.

If yours is a bad vibration, then it could be something else... I'm talking about a very light vibration just as you engage the clutch.. really more of when the pedal starts to take up the "slack".

TonyG
Old 01-29-2004, 04:31 AM
johne
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a similar question. Here is the scenario:
I am driving aggressively aka full throttle and shifting above 5k RPMS. I press in the clutch pedal and then shift.(everything is normal so far) When I let the clutch pedal up the clutch fully engages. I can tell because I then go back to full throttle and the clutch does not slip.
However the clutch pedal does not return fully to its previous position. Instead it only comes up 1/3 - 1/2 of the way. I then have to slip my foot under the pedal and pull the clutch pedal up. As soon as I do this the clutch pedal pops right up.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
John
Old 01-29-2004, 04:41 AM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

johne

Yours is a different issue altogether.

Could be the pedal return spring, the hydraulics (master/slave/line), or the release bearing, or something as simple as setting up the free play correctly.

Search the archives. You should be able to find good leads there on your problem and probably the answer..

TonyG
Old 01-29-2004, 07:01 AM
Zu_langsam
Instructor

Thanks for the help. I have thought about the throw out bearing, but I still don't see how that could cause my intermitant problem. If its bad, its bad. It shouldn't feel fine %20 of the time, maybe it just has a mind of its own
Old 01-29-2004, 08:10 AM
jedi951
Advanced

I had the same problem a while back. went away on its own and drove the car for about 30k miles. Now my clutch broke a spring or something cause its grabbing. Back then they said it might be the guide sleeve that was bad.
Old 01-29-2004, 10:04 AM
smokey
Pro

Johne,
I had the same problem on my track car: clutch pedal would not return after heavy braking, and I had to hook my foor under it to pop it back up when I downsifted. Not much fun at Corner 3 at Mosport. Replaced the master and slave cylinder, the hose, and was about to take out the clutch. I also tried various positions on the over-centre spring at the pedal. Turned out that the free play on the clutch was not correct; I had too much free play. There was probably a slight misalignment between the throw-out bearing and the bearing sleeve, and the pedal return springs were not strong enough to overcome this. According to the shop manual, the free play at the clutch, iircc, is only about 1/8", much less than most other cars. You can feel the fork touch the throw-out bearing through a slight vibration at idle, and then you want to back off the pedal just a touch. This cured my problem except for a very occasional hesitation at the pedal. Anyway, check your free play at the pedal, and make sure it's at spec.
Old 01-29-2004, 11:53 AM
Pa_951
Intermediate

hmmm, my clutch vibrates as well. im thinking of just biting the bullet and having the whole thing replaced just to ease my mind, not to mention that IMO it feels sloppy, and it just doesnt grip as well as i would like, maybe its because its worn. not sure if the PO had the clutch replaced ever, but it seems like my car got beaten on pretty good for the 57xxx miles he had it.
Old 01-29-2004, 01:11 PM
Silverbullet951
Race Car

I don't mean to be a pest here or hijack the thread, but I'm having a problem too. When I drive below 4000 rpms, the car runs ok, but if I want to acclerate full throttle or even 3/4 throttle for that matter, the clutch doesn't grab at all. So I've been driving below 4000 and I acclerate slowly, but the clutch will go soon. Any recomendations on what clutch to get? I'm looking at the 944 turbo cup clutch from paragon.

Thanks.
Old 01-29-2004, 02:01 PM
carrerabo
Advanced

Zu it does sound like your throw out bearing is going. It will change in feeling, when these parts are operating at different temps and the posistion of bearing needles your feeling may change.I'm sure that everone knows that just to replace that bearing the same labor is required to replace all operating parts so it all sould be done at this time no matter what no sense in paying the labor twice. I have also seen where a car will sit for a period of time and corosion will develop on the guide tube and this feeling will accure when operating clutch and after several hours of driving this can turn into a squeek and then eventualy go away. As far as pedal no returning look on drivers floor board and up under dash you may find brake fluid leaking this is result of bad seal in clutch slave,replace this with line and master this problem is on going on origanal factory parts that get old. Not to worry no a real problem that can not be repaired.
Old 01-29-2004, 02:15 PM
2+2
Pro

Tony and Zu, is the "vibration" you are describing feel like the clutch pedal is being cocked/pivoted/rotated under your feet as you release the clutch (i.e. rotated in a plane of the rubber pedal pad and transverse to the clutch actuation axis)?
Old 01-29-2004, 02:29 PM
sm
Drifting

Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts

I vote for the throwout bearing as well. I had the same symptoms - vibration as the clutch pedal is released, grinding noises that go away as the car warms up, etc.

The car is having it's clutch replaced right now with a Spec Stg II/Fidanza flywheel/all new bearings/etc. I'll take some pics of the bearings, as I'm sure they're nothing but metal shells right now.

Quick Reply: Why does my clutch feel like this?!?