944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Why does my clutch feel like this?!?

Old 01-29-2004, 02:48 PM
ninefiveone
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 20 Posts

If they're still there at all. One of my bearings was nowhere to be found except for a couple shards.
Old 01-29-2004, 03:07 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

2+2

I've never felt it as I released the clutch. It's always been, on all the cars, as you depress the clutch pedal before it engages.

It feels like the fingers on the pressure plate are uneven (which is most likely what it is). As you keep pressing, and the throw out bearing loads up against the pressure plate, the pressure applied to the throw out bearing evens out, thus the vibration can't be felt (because all the fingers of the pressure plate are "even" at that point).

It just takes a "hair" of pressure for it to load up.

I've felt this on every car (both 951's and 968's) unless the clutch is new or very close to new.

But, this is not an indicator (at least what I'm describing) of the clutch being worn out, or about to be worn out, or starting to slip.

TonyG
Old 01-29-2004, 04:15 PM
carrerabo
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I were you I would just keep driving it until it blows appart completely or at least a real problem accurs. These cars are just soooo tight it might be another 100k miles or 4 1/2 yrs. before you can post anything worth debating. We could type in all different problems that our crystal ball tells. For now my ball says is that at some point and time you are looking at, at least $2,500.00 or alot of bloody knuckles.
Old 01-29-2004, 04:25 PM
AMG ETR
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by carrerabo
If I were you I would just keep driving it until it blows appart completely or at least a real problem accurs. These cars are just soooo tight it might be another 100k miles or 4 1/2 yrs. before you can post anything worth debating. We could type in all different problems that our crystal ball tells. For now my ball says is that at some point and time you are looking at, at least $2,500.00 or alot of bloody knuckles.
Old 01-31-2004, 08:54 AM
schadenfreude
Instructor

Hi guys, I've just bought my 951 so I'm not sure whether this is normal or not, but I've noticed a few things:

- Clutch is pretty heavy (it's a cable clutch isn't it? I suppose that's pretty normal

- The take-up point is really high

Now that I've driven it for a day or so, I've gotten used to it - just wondering if that's normal? Also the steering is pretty heavy compared to all other power steering cars I've driven, is that normal too for these cars?

thanks.
Old 01-31-2004, 01:28 PM
TurboTommy
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Keep in mind, guys, that any replacement clutch, even if it's brand new will have varying degrees of vibration at varying RPM; unless it's the exact OE replacement which I don't know if they even still sell them. This has something to do with the original rubber internals which soften the vibrating feeling at the pick up points. I have the same thing, although much less than my previous 951. It could be just the luck of the draw.
Zu_langsam, sorry, this probably doesn't satisfy you. There isn't a "for sure" diagnoses here.
Old 01-31-2004, 01:37 PM
TurboTommy
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also; slight hijack of thread;
Does anybody know if there is an adjustment possible to have more clutch disengagement, so to speak, when the pedal is all the way to the floor? If you adjusted for less play at the top, would that do it? Or, would that just bring the pedal closer to the floor?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Why does my clutch feel like this?!?