Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turbo-and-turbo-s-forum-72/)
-   -   dry sleeves (https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turbo-and-turbo-s-forum/1110365-dry-sleeves.html)

gruhsy 11-08-2018 03:31 PM

dry sleeves

Is it possible to push dry sleeves back out of a block?

The 106mm sleeves in the broken block I have from the RAGE2 project car are in good shape. The hole out the side when the rod snapped didn't damage the sleeves. I want to see if they can be used in a different block or use them to source new sleeves.

962 kid 11-08-2018 07:48 PM

Dry sleeves can be removed - heat the block to 100C and they might just fall out. If you don't care to salvage the dry sleeves, take a die grinder and cut a very shallow(until you are barely through the steel) slit the whole way up the sleeve. It will drop out after that.

951and944S 11-08-2018 09:50 PM

Make a disk the precise size of the liner's OD. 3/16 steel should be good enough.
Make a bridge bar with a center hole for a nut, just a flat bar 3/8-1/2" thick x 1" wide, long enough to span cylinder at top deck +2" length spaced off the deck by two short 2x4 blocks.
Fill cylinder with dry ice and they will shrink enough for you to pull them out with an all thread or long bolt.

T

gruhsy 11-09-2018 08:33 PM

Thanks for the replies guys.

I can make the disk at friends machine shop and I have dry ice at work....perfect

Bridge bar is easy for me to make too.

951and944S 11-09-2018 09:07 PM

Mack (trucks) used dry sleeves (might still) and this is how I learned to change out sleeve/piston kits from a 50+ year experienced diesel mechanic so 25 years ago.

To reinstall (we always used new kits), you just rest the liners on a piece of plywood and fill with dry ice.

You can actually hear the shrink. They drop right in.

BTW - make your puller tool stepped so it it stays located in the bottom of the sleeve.

T

blade7 11-10-2018 09:51 AM

Not saying what's been said is wrong, but I've seen videos where the block is heated in an oven, the liners chilled, and the liners still had to be pressed in. Maybe alloy blocks and iron liners require more care?

951and944S 11-10-2018 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by blade7 (Post 15421897)
Not saying what's been said is wrong, but I've seen videos where the block is heated in an oven, the liners chilled, and the liners still had to be pressed in. Maybe alloy blocks and iron liners require more care?

Wouldn't hurt for installing if you could warm block and shrink sleeves.

Heating to remove would just heat block and sleeves together.

In the large diesel engines, for the most part, what is done is a "frame in" overhaul so the engine is never removed, so it'd be pretty hard to heat the block in an oven that's still in the frame.
The methodology for big trucks is based on least amount of down time though, new liners/pistons/rings and back on the road making money.

It's possible that with complete engine out of the truck, they very well may heat a block as well but I have never seen it.

Looks like a 2.5-3.0 liter backhoe engine -

T

gruhsy 11-10-2018 11:49 AM

If I remember I will film the removal......as usual things take forever for me as I am doing 10000 different things at the same time...not just car stuff :/