Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Exhaust Hangers install question

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2018, 02:40 PM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

Received 157 Likes on 131 Posts
Default Exhaust Hangers install question

How tight or "far up the U" do you install the exhaust hanger nuts? What would be the reason(s) behind the 'specification' (for lack of better term)?
Old 10-31-2018, 05:34 PM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

When hanging & installing my exhaust, I realized that there's no dead stop on the hanger nuts and I'm seriously wondering what is the proper way to hang?

Does it even matter? It seems those nuts have a lot of potential travel and the higher up, the more they appear to saueeze the U-bracket.

I'm wondering if I tightened them too much as I can "feel" the exhaust a little more than before.
Old 11-01-2018, 01:23 AM
Dare
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's been awhile since I had the stock exhaust on, but I don't recall it making a lot of difference how the brackets were positioned, except as a means to reduce tension in the exhaust overall. I think you want to position the brackets such that the tension on the fixed attachment points (the downpipe and the wastegate) is minimized. I expect this position varies slightly from car to car.

Not sure how helpful that is.
Old 11-01-2018, 09:24 AM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

I see... thanks. I have been wondering how the exhaust--being very tight compared to other cars I've worked on--manages with a vibrating engine. I guess that's why some headers crack? Anyway, I've probably tightened it up too far so I'll back off till it's a bit loose. Hope those nylon lock nuts stay put...
Old 11-01-2018, 11:45 AM
Dare
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not so sure about using nylon lock nuts on something that gets hot, like an exhaust. I'm using copper lock nuts (prevailing torque) everywhere.
Old 11-01-2018, 11:54 AM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

Originally Posted by Dare
Not so sure about using nylon lock nuts on something that gets hot, like an exhaust. I'm using copper lock nuts (prevailing torque) everywhere.
Ooops you're right: they're likely not nylon... I just re-used the originals. Yes, I realize I should replace them! Though they're holding up amazingly well on re-use

Quick Reply: Exhaust Hangers install question