Northern porker
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gruhsy
Twin scroll information....good read.

http://www.epi-eng.com/piston_engine...technology.htm
🤩🤩🤩

Originally Posted by Humboldtgrin
I asked ACL about our cars a couple months ago regarding their race main and rod bearings and they said they have plans in the works for them and they are about a year out from supplying them for our cars.
Maybe intime for my next engine build.

Originally Posted by thingo
I've used the Michael
Mount conversion, I think they are supra bearings, were good for 900hp!

Old 11-01-2018, 05:54 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by thingo
I think the 7670 would probably go well, but I don’t know if you could fit the iwg version in it’s s very long. We used the 9180 on the stock engine and it was great but that is a big turbo, once you start asking that much from the stock block there is a lot of things you have to start thinking about, the 7670 will be more responsive than the 3576, make similar power. I’m a big fan of the efr turbos. Maybe the 8374 but I think that would be a tight fit.
Was also going to suggest considering the 8374 as these turbos seem to be very responsive. Trying to find dyno sheet with boost but we were seeing full boost when running it at 16-17psi under 4000rpm with the 9180. Even at 13psi it was still pretty responsive and that's way below it's preferred psi range. Rod's old motor might be a better comparison from what I know and that did very well for what it was.
Old 11-02-2018, 07:50 AM
Northern porker
Advanced

Originally Posted by 333pg333
Was also going to suggest considering the 8374 as these turbos seem to be very responsive. Trying to find dyno sheet with boost but we were seeing full boost when running it at 16-17psi under 4000rpm with the 9180. Even at 13psi it was still pretty responsive and that's way below it's preferred psi range. Rod's old motor might be a better comparison from what I know and that did very well for what it was.
As this is a street/ track car I’m going to go with the 7670. The block is Alusil that has been bored and honed due to ovaling to the bores to 105mm and not lined. I am not running a dry sump but only intend to run 1.0-1.2 bar I also intend to run water meth to help reduce knock. This engine is a test really for a second 968 engine I have to put into my 951 track only car which will be Darton sleeved and be running dry sump. I have just ordered the turbo and the fabricator will have it in the next couple of days as it is in stock. I’m sure it will be more than adequate for me but will be happier to push things further on the next engine. Again thanks for everybody’s help and comments
Old 11-02-2018, 12:40 PM
Northern porker
Advanced

Originally Posted by 951and944S
Experience...., not really, I have a GT3076 though that I bought for a 3.0 16V project years ago before we changed route and started racing the NA cars.

I'd let it go real cheap if you are interested, only had dyno time before I got it and stored it for years after that.

For what you could get this for, you could have it disassembled, checked and modded to whatever you want.

I might even still have the modded stock/polished crossover that bolts directly up to it with stock engine mount pedestal location.

Best of my recollection, 3.0 16V, good for 500 bhp.

T
Dont suppose you have any of those MM 968 split cams left.
Old 11-03-2018, 01:08 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Northern porker

As this is a street/ track car I’m going to go with the 7670. The block is Alusil that has been bored and honed due to ovaling to the bores to 105mm and not lined. I am not running a dry sump but only intend to run 1.0-1.2 bar I also intend to run water meth to help reduce knock. This engine is a test really for a second 968 engine I have to put into my 951 track only car which will be Darton sleeved and be running dry sump. I have just ordered the turbo and the fabricator will have it in the next couple of days as it is in stock. I’m sure it will be more than adequate for me but will be happier to push things further on the next engine. Again thanks for everybody’s help and comments
That's good sound thinking. Love to see the charts when you've got it setup. Should be super responsive!
Old 11-03-2018, 06:44 AM
Northern porker
Advanced

Originally Posted by 333pg333
That's good sound thinking. Love to see the charts when you've got it setup. Should be super responsive!
Will post all info as I get it.
Thanks again
Old 11-05-2018, 12:34 PM
gruhsy
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

I asked ACL about our cars a couple months ago regarding their race main and rod bearings and they said they have plans in the works for them and they are about a year out from supplying them for our cars.
Does ACL need more people asking them for the bearings to speed the process up? Would be great for all of us that build stuff like this thread build.
Old 11-05-2018, 02:22 PM
Northern porker
Advanced

Originally Posted by gruhsy
Does ACL need more people asking them for the bearings to speed the process up? Would be great for all of us that build stuff like this thread build.
Maybe I can certainly ask my local supplier.
Old 11-05-2018, 04:18 PM
gruhsy
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Maybe I can certainly ask my local supplier.
I just emailed ACL US this morning right after I posted...I thought it might help
Old 11-06-2018, 02:57 AM
Humboldtgrin
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Yea everyone should send ACL and e-mail, it would help give them a heads up on what to expect because I don’t think they took me seriously when I wrote to them that the 944 series cars have one hell of a following.
Anyways back to this build, so your using a 104mm block bored at 105mm, what does that put your cylinder wall thickness at? 7.5mm? You may want a deck plate even with connecting cylinders. Getting kinda thin. Don’t worry it’s not my money, just great ideas that cost a fortune. So you got a 951 race car? 968 turbo engine going in it also? I got great money spending tips there too, but it sounds like your on top of it. You must have a lot of bank accounts to drain immediately. We are all here to kinda sorta maybe help you get to your goals. Personally I think you should just go for a Thor myself.
Old 11-06-2018, 09:47 AM
Northern porker
Advanced

Yea everyone should send ACL and e-mail, it would help give them a heads up on what to expect because I don’t think they took me seriously when I wrote to them that the 944 series cars have one hell of a following.
Anyways back to this build, so your using a 104mm block bored at 105mm, what does that put your cylinder wall thickness at? 7.5mm? You may want a deck plate even with connecting cylinders. Getting kinda thin. Don’t worry it’s not my money, just great ideas that cost a fortune. So you got a 951 race car? 968 turbo engine going in it also? I got great money spending tips there too, but it sounds like your on top of it. You must have a lot of bank accounts to drain immediately. We are all here to kinda sorta maybe help you get to your goals. Personally I think you should just go for a Thor myself.
Hmm. Don’t really know how I should take that? As I’m only looking for 450-500 bhp in a road car don’t think I will be needing a deck plate and if I was worried about cylinder thickness I would fit steel liners. With regards to a Thor engine I certainly won’t be going down that avenue but if you want to buy one and trial it out I am more than happy to listen to your critique, but I think Rod is doing a very good job of that already.

I do have a 951 which I have owned for over 10 years and have enjoyed all the track time that I have been able to afford. That engine is coming to the end of its life and needs to be refreshed/ replaced as I picked up a good 100,000k engine with manifolds and ancillaries for £1.5k there didn’t seam any reason to reinvest in an old 8v motor when the 16v are obviously far superior and as I was changing the turbo and manifolds the actual costs of swapping to the 16v engine are not dissimilar.

You seem to be focused on my budget/spending I thank you for your concern but as you stated,”I’ve got covered”, at certain times in your life, time and enjoying the time you have outway the monetary values that they cost.

Ive lost more money on depreciation from cars in a year than this engine will cost to build and not had as much fun from the driving experience. I choose to drive 944/968 cars belove I love the drive, handling and the feel these cars have. I also enjoy out performing more modern off the shelf sports/track cars which is another reason to reinvest develop the cars I own.

I have enjoyed the open access, information, and community that Rennlist provides but like Trip advisor you have to separate the wheat from the chaff with regards to the comments and recommendations.

Old 11-06-2018, 09:52 AM
ealoken
Three Wheelin'

Received 114 Likes on 72 Posts

Hmm. Don’t really know how I should take that? As I’m only looking for 450-500 bhp in a road car don’t think I will be needing a deck plate and if I was worried about cylinder thickness I would fit steel liners. With regards to a Thor engine I certainly won’t be going down that avenue but if you want to buy one and trial it out I am more than happy to listen to your critique, but I think Rod is doing a very good job of that already.

I do have a 951 which I have owned for over 10 years and have enjoyed all the track time that I have been able to afford. That engine is coming to the end of its life and needs to be refreshed/ replaced as I picked up a good 100,000k engine with manifolds and ancillaries for £1.5k there didn’t seam any reason to reinvest in an old 8v motor when the 16v are obviously far superior and as I was changing the turbo and manifolds the actual costs of swapping to the 16v engine are not dissimilar.

You seem to be focused on my budget/spending I thank you for your concern but as you stated,”I’ve got covered”, at certain times in your life, time and enjoying the time you have outway the monetary values that they cost.

Ive lost more money on depreciation from cars in a year than this engine will cost to build and not had as much fun from the driving experience. I choose to drive 944/968 cars belove I love the drive, handling and the feel these cars have. I also enjoy out performing more modern off the shelf sports/track cars which is another reason to reinvest develop the cars I own.

I have enjoyed the open access, information, and community that Rennlist provides but like Trip advisor you have to separate the wheat from the chaff with regards to the comments and recommendations.

I bought the GTX 3582 Gen 2 turbo, aiming for 500 whp on my 8v 2.5 Liter engine.

For your 3L 16V, the GTX30 would be way to smaal, thats a 2.0 Liter turbo.
Our engines hates backpressure, the GTX30 turbo is wery wrong, hence the big volume engine.

My friends use the GT30 in their Miatas, pushing 450 whp on the 1.9L, they also see some backpressure building up.

regarding money and budget, just go the path that makes you happy

Erik
Old 11-06-2018, 10:08 AM
Northern porker
Advanced

Originally Posted by ealoken
I bought the GTX 3582 Gen 2 turbo, aiming for 500 whp on my 8v 2.5 Liter engine.

For your 3L 16V, the GTX30 would be way to smaal, thats a 2.0 Liter turbo.
Our engines hates backpressure, the GTX30 turbo is wery wrong, hence the big volume engine.

My friends use the GT30 in their Miatas, pushing 450 whp on the 1.9L, they also see some backpressure building up.

regarding money and budget, just go the path that makes you happy

Erik
Ive ended up with a Borg Warner EFR 7670.

Thanks for the comments I agree.
Old 11-06-2018, 10:11 AM
ealoken
Three Wheelin'

Received 114 Likes on 72 Posts

Ive ended up with a Borg Warner EFR 7670.

Thanks for the comments I agree.

7670 is a great turbo.

What are your solution on the engine carrier / turbo mount?
Old 11-06-2018, 11:09 AM
Northern porker
Advanced

Originally Posted by ealoken
7670 is a great turbo.

What are your solution on the engine carrier / turbo mount?
Modify 951 OE mount at least that is the starting point. I will know more when turbo arrives in next couple of days.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 968 3.0 16v turbo. Anybody got any experience with a Garrett gtx 3076