Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

968 3.0 16v turbo. Anybody got any experience with a Garrett gtx 3076

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2018, 04:07 AM
Northern porker
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rlm328
Using a GTX3576 I got 450 rwhp at 17 psi boost on a 3.1 liter motor, 8.5 CR. My cam is a Jon Milledge cam, it is not real radical

The turbo kit guys have all sorts of inlets and outlets that you could desire, give you some idea of what is available.. You can get an idea about different grinds from the Milledge site. I am running the 8SR-14s

https://turbokits.com/
http://jonmilledgeengineering.com/
Is the motor 16v. Like the car looks a bit like my 951

Old 10-26-2018, 04:31 AM
Northern porker
Advanced

I originally approached my fabricator with the idea of going twin scroll when I showed him a picture of Patrick’s amazing setup for inspiration

Who was impressed with the design and thought of its construction. I only changed direction on approaching turbo suppliers who had the general opinion that it was little gain for much more work. None of these people had any direct experience with the 968 engine. Glad I asked the question on Rennlist. I really wanted to go twin scroll just to try something new (at least for me). With this in mind are we still thinking gtx3576 but with a twin scroll housing or are there other modern turbo options to consider ie Borg Worner. What effect does the a.r housing size have on the turbo the difference between the 0.63 and 0.83. Does the turbo get more lag when increasing the size.
Old 10-26-2018, 04:33 AM
Northern porker
Advanced

Originally Posted by Jay Wellwood
968 factory cams are pretty hot for a factory item.

Stand-alone engine management system is definitely advised.

COP fits within the stand-alone scheme.

You'll need to figure out the intercooler arrangement if your using a 968 body. If its in a 944 body - you're a step ahead from an intercooler perspective as well as the electrics.
Thinking about an emerald ecu
Old 10-26-2018, 03:04 PM
JustinL
Drifting

Received 179 Likes on 99 Posts

I'm in the process of building a similar car. I went with a Precision 6062 with a T4 tangential housing. It is a pain in the butt to get everything to fit, but it should be a pretty hot setup when it's done. It's a 3.0L 16v with the S2 head, custom arias 9:1 pistons, Pauter rods, running on MS3X standalone. I had bought a used set of SFR headers with the T4 flange, so it was pretty straight forward bolting the turbo on after grinding the mounts etc.
Old 10-26-2018, 08:00 PM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 206 Posts

Mine is an 8v engine.
Old 10-26-2018, 08:46 PM
thingo
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Patrick's is a nice manifold, but really it is fine to use the stock headers, and the wastegates can go in the stock position, it's simple(particularly on a rhd car) and is very effective.

Old 10-27-2018, 04:37 AM
Northern porker
Advanced

Originally Posted by JustinL
I'm in the process of building a similar car. I went with a Precision 6062 with a T4 tangential housing. It is a pain in the butt to get everything to fit, but it should be a pretty hot setup when it's done. It's a 3.0L 16v with the S2 head, custom arias 9:1 pistons, Pauter rods, running on MS3X standalone. I had bought a used set of SFR headers with the T4 flange, so it was pretty straight forward bolting the turbo on after grinding the mounts etc.
Sounds great like to know about progress and results as you get on.
Old 10-27-2018, 04:38 AM
Northern porker
Advanced

Mine is an 8v engine.
Amazing results from 8v
Old 10-27-2018, 04:46 AM
Northern porker
Advanced

Originally Posted by thingo
Patrick's is a nice manifold, but really it is fine to use the stock headers, and the wastegates can go in the stock position, it's simple(particularly on a rhd car) and is very effective.

That does look like a simple solution. No reason to complicate things. Have you had any turbo back pressure problems with this set up.
Old 10-27-2018, 04:53 AM
Northern porker
Advanced

Thanks for everybody’s comments in two days I have selected turbo type ie twin scroll, and the exhaust fabrication. At the moment it looks like I’m going to go with a Garrett gtx3076r gen2 twin scroll AR 0.83. Any further comments on turbo or recommendations before I order it... I have to make a choice quickly as the car is with the fabricator now he is working on the inlet manifold but will need the physical turbo very shortly for the rest of the exhaust fab.

Progress so far

Old 10-27-2018, 05:05 AM
Northern porker
Advanced

Originally Posted by thingo

What is the brace under the sump. It is bespoke or available off the shelf?
Old 10-27-2018, 05:09 AM
Northern porker
Advanced

Mine is an 8v engine.
Do you have a power chart? At what point do you see 1 bar manifold pressure?
Old 10-27-2018, 11:54 AM
Humboldtgrin
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Ask your fabricator if he can make that intake a twin plenum design. I hear it’s better. Another idea would be to jet coat your oil pan to help any heat transfer from the exhaust crossover.
Old 10-27-2018, 12:10 PM
Northern porker
Advanced

Originally Posted by Humboldtgrin
Ask your fabricator if he can make that intake a twin plenum design. I hear it’s better. Another idea would be to jet coat your oil pan to help any heat transfer from the exhaust crossover.
I’ve not sen a twin plenum design do you have a photo for example.
Old 10-27-2018, 01:09 PM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would still suggest going with a GTX3576R with a twin scroll if your going for the TS approach.
Note that im not saying a GTX3582R but a GTX3576R which is a GTX3076R with a bigger turbine wheel more suited for the compressor wheel and also more suited for a 3L motor.

IMO a GTX3582R is the perfect size for a 3L build. the GTX3576R is a step down.

Also some side info. People had discovered after modifying the turbos by swapping wheels around that the gtx3576r configuration even though being a bigger framed turbo, it out performed the gt3067r in every way... That's when garrett started offering that size turbo.
and also Ford Australia used that size configuration on their 4L engines.

Originally Posted by Northern porker
Thanks for everybody’s comments in two days I have selected turbo type ie twin scroll, and the exhaust fabrication. At the moment it looks like I’m going to go with a Garrett gtx3076r gen2 twin scroll AR 0.83. Any further comments on turbo or recommendations before I order it... I have to make a choice quickly as the car is with the fabricator now he is working on the inlet manifold but will need the physical turbo very shortly for the rest of the exhaust fab.

Progress so far

Quick Reply: 968 3.0 16v turbo. Anybody got any experience with a Garrett gtx 3076