Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

AFM Help

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2018, 03:39 PM
divil
Three Wheelin'

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan Martinic
Yes, I thought the same, and recently I installed new cap, rotor (Bosch), plugs, and just last week, wires.

No difference. Plugs are carbon fouling pretty quickly though!! Dry black crud covered already.

What's holding me back from the wideband is removing a freshly installed exhaust to get the bung. Can wideband be temp installed in stock O2 location, for diagnosis purposes? I think I know the answer.......
You can definitely install a wideband O2 sensor without removing the exhaust. I did it using an AEM No Weld O2 sensor mount. Thread here.

I did have use a right angled drill attachment, and I had to unmount the starter and hang it out of the way, but that's still way less hassle than dropping the exhaust.
Old 10-16-2018, 06:45 PM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

Received 157 Likes on 131 Posts

Very interesting read thanks John!

Does the clamp disturb airflow or whistle? Just kidding. Looks good and I might go for it. Given the issues you had, what size would you recommend for stock pipe?
Old 10-16-2018, 07:15 PM
divil
Three Wheelin'

Very interesting read thanks John!

Does the clamp disturb airflow or whistle? Just kidding. Looks good and I might go for it. Given the issues you had, what size would you recommend for stock pipe?
I think if I was doing again I'd try the next size up from mine. I think the one I used was for up to 3".
Old 10-16-2018, 07:19 PM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

Originally Posted by divil
I think if I was doing again I'd try the next size up from mine. I think the one I used was for up to 3".
Oh, ok. You'd think the 'up to 3" ' would at least fit the stock 2.5" lol

Thanks; I'll look into this some more
Old 10-16-2018, 07:25 PM
divil
Three Wheelin'

Oh, ok. You'd think the 'up to 3" ' would at least fit the stock 2.5" lol

Thanks; I'll look into this some more
Well my exhaust is 3" so it probably would be fine with with the stock size. IIRC the next size up was for a range slightly above 3", so I had to assume the "up to 3" size was the right one. With all that said, it did work and I've had no issues with leaks.
Old 10-16-2018, 07:25 PM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

My other option is this: I have my old cat complete and the piping is in very good shape; there's just some stuff falling out of the cat (though remarkably, after I installed a 'brand-new 30 year old one', my emissions test got slightly worse and I didn't pass until I replaced the HG and OPRV housing seal!). Now that our Government is *removing* emissions testing (yes, you read that right), I'm wondering if I should "clean out" the old cat, have the bung installed, and perhaps enjoy WB02 with I'm assuming will be better performance?
Old 10-16-2018, 08:13 PM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

Originally Posted by divil
Well my exhaust is 3" so it probably would be fine with with the stock size. IIRC the next size up was for a range slightly above 3", so I had to assume the "up to 3" size was the right one. With all that said, it did work and I've had no issues with leaks.
Super thanks
Old 10-26-2018, 06:31 PM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

Originally Posted by Tom M'Guinn
I just meant a wideband that you installed temporarily for diagnostic purposes, if you aren't into having it all the time.

Tough to test for weak ignition -- and symptoms usually first appear under heavy throttle, so your symptoms don't really line up. You can look at the condition of the cap, rotor, plugs and wires, but sometimes they can all look fine and still causes missing, etc., so I tend to change them every 2 or 3 years for good orders sake. It's often the wires that go overlooked.
Not sure if I posted this resolution, but after I spray-cleaned the AFM with electronics contact cleaner and bent the contact arms inside to a new spot on the carbon strip, my cold-start hesitation issue has disappeared... and significantly better throttle response esp. lower rpm!

Big difference. Even the exhaust popping has all but disappeared. Odd though: the AFM tested just fine even using the oscilloscope.

There are some things on these old cars that test right but still fail..........

No wonder so many of the aftermarket "upgrades" are crazy effective: they replace parts no longer working as they once did!

Quick Reply: AFM Help