Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Help indexing torsion bar. Quick question..

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2018, 02:04 PM
ttAmerica RoadsterAWD
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Help indexing torsion bar. Quick question..

Hey guys, I'm raising my car up by one inch. Already put in the weltmeister spacers up front, that was easy, but anyone know how many clicks will raise the rear by a rough 1 inch? I know final adjustment will be by the spring plate. Im pretty sure I have a 28mm white Automotioin torsion bars circa 1998. Also, I think I want to go clockwise on the spring plate collar-driver side, and counter-clock wise on the passenger side. right??

thanx a bunch

Last edited by ttAmerica RoadsterAWD; 10-02-2018 at 11:01 PM. Reason: more info
Old 10-02-2018, 04:17 PM
beamishnz
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

The inner splines adjust height by 66mm per spline. The outer by 60mm/spline. To get 1" (25mm) you will need to move 4spline on the inner and 4 the opposite direction on the outer. 264mm - 240mm - 24mm.
Old 10-02-2018, 09:33 PM
ttAmerica RoadsterAWD
Three Wheelin'

Man, it's been a PIA to get this thing down. Got everything off, just need to "pry" the tube down. Just thinking, maybe I'll just change over to adjustable coil over springs on the rear and call it a day. Stupid question: If I do go the coil over route I need to completely remove the torque tubes right??
Old 10-02-2018, 10:21 PM
kev951
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

torsion bars, not torque tube. you can also get rear coilovers with correct spring rates (helper springs) in conjunction with your stock or performance torsion bars to help with fine tuning (corner balance and some ride height). Torque tube is not relevant on this subject... the torque tube connects the transaxle to the the clutch .
Old 10-02-2018, 10:31 PM
ttAmerica RoadsterAWD
Three Wheelin'

oh yeah, sorry meant to say torsion bar. Long day under the car
Old 10-03-2018, 03:48 PM
beamishnz
Rennlist Member

If you go to coil overs you will still need to reindex your torsion tubes. Persevere at getting the torsion tube out. If the control ars are still attached to the the tube. Jack them up so the tube is not trying to rotate that is normally what jams it. Once you take the wight of the control arms (and hubs etc) off the t tube is should drop down without too much difficulty. Then you can start reindexing . Reindexing torsion bars is a good 944 right of passage. Don't let it beat you
Old 10-03-2018, 05:18 PM
ttAmerica RoadsterAWD
Three Wheelin'

Ok, Thanks. So, on the drivers side I will need to rotate inner splines by 4 clicks CLOCKWISE, then reindex the outer splines by 4 clicks COUNTERCLOCK-WISE to get 24mm of height (raise the car) Correct? Again, goal is to raise car by one inch or so...

Opposite rotations on the Passenger side, Correct?

Jaime
Old 10-03-2018, 05:27 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 295 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by ttAmerica RoadsterAWD
...Again, goal is to raise car by one inch or so...
Before you go to the trouble of reindexing those bars, you might want to check the position of your eccentrics back there. If they are at their lowest setting you can get an increase of 3/4in right there, that might satisfy your “one inch or so” rear height adjustment without touching the torsion bars.
Old 10-03-2018, 07:53 PM
ttAmerica RoadsterAWD
Three Wheelin'

Thanks MAGK944, been there-done that. No dice.

Well, the Beast is down. Before I go into and expose the TB's gonna do a lot more reading and take measurements so I don't get lost.
Old 10-04-2018, 06:32 AM
beamishnz
Rennlist Member

Ok, Thanks. So, on the drivers side I will need to rotate inner splines by 4 clicks CLOCKWISE, then reindex the outer splines by 4 clicks COUNTERCLOCK-WISE to get 24mm of height (raise the car) Correct? Again, goal is to raise car by one inch or so...

Opposite rotations on the Passenger side, Correct?

Jaime
Correct. Plus any adjustment you may need to get your eccentric adjusters in the middle of their adjustment range that should be your target. Put adjusters in middle of range and then measure the height from centre of hub to top of wheel arch at front wheels and adjust rears to match accordingly. If you advise the difference front rear after centring the eccentrics I will confirm the torsion adjustments.
Old 10-06-2018, 11:30 PM
ttAmerica RoadsterAWD
Three Wheelin'

Ok, I can see this is gonna be actually pretty easy (with you guys help!). One thing....... Just realized after measuring that the torsion bars are actually 30mm, NOT 28mm. Does anything change? On my 30mm do I still go 4 clicks clockwise on the inner, then 4 clicks counterclockwise on the outer (driver side)??

My bars are: "Genuine Sway Away Product" 30mm OD, 19mm ID. At the ends they are stamped "L" "1228" "1097"

Thanx!

Last edited by ttAmerica RoadsterAWD; 10-06-2018 at 11:39 PM. Reason: more info
Old 10-07-2018, 07:30 AM
beamishnz
Rennlist Member

Ok, I can see this is gonna be actually pretty easy (with you guys help!). One thing....... Just realized after measuring that the torsion bars are actually 30mm, NOT 28mm. Does anything change? On my 30mm do I still go 4 clicks clockwise on the inner, then 4 clicks counterclockwise on the outer (driver side)??

My bars are: "Genuine Sway Away Product" 30mm OD, 19mm ID. At the ends they are stamped "L" "1228" "1097"

Thanx!
Yes. 4 and 4. If you are maintaining the same TB diameter the size of the bar does not come into the equation.
Old 10-08-2018, 02:06 AM
ttAmerica RoadsterAWD
Three Wheelin'

Whew!! Gotterdone! I was initially worried because there was only a little better than 1/2 inch drop (elevation of body) from the end of the spring plate to the banana plate above, but then remembered that further down this will translate to a larger arc as the angle opens up, so I think I'm good. I'll have my son help me button her up in a few days, while im in there will re do CV boots/grease etc., need to get these by UPS
Will report later. Thank you all involved :-)

Jaime
Old 10-09-2018, 06:39 PM
beamishnz
Rennlist Member

Sounds like you have got through the initiation Congratulations!
Old 10-16-2018, 02:06 AM
ttAmerica RoadsterAWD
Three Wheelin'

Awesome!! So got the porker out today, ran it around the block a few times. Everything went quite well, took the opportunity to renew CV joint grease and boots, bled all four corners and clutch slave cylinder with new dot 4, Its one inch higher, hell what can I say except thank you all very kindly for helping me getting through this!! Special thanks to beamishnz for chiming in and helping with specifics. Thank you all once again.

Jaime

Last edited by ttAmerica RoadsterAWD; 10-16-2018 at 02:12 AM. Reason: more info

Quick Reply: Help indexing torsion bar. Quick question..