Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Consensus on H&R Spacers?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2018, 01:36 PM
Bmuldoon
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Consensus on H&R Spacers?

Currently running 28mm H&R spacers on the front and rear of my '86 951 with Magnesium Cup (late offset wheels). Have about 1,000 miles on them and checked the torque this weekend and everything was still in spec.

Curious what the safety consensus is for spirited street driving (no track duty) and using spacers this large? I have considered switching to an M030 setup but it's a lot of work and not cheap.

Spacer Details:
https://www.pelicanparts.com/More_In...saAvU_EALw_wcB

Old 09-17-2018, 02:00 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 295 Likes on 231 Posts

They call those “spacers” but they are really adapters that also act like spacers, iirc they originally came out of products developed to change the wheel bolt pattern. Porsche used a real spacer on our cars with corresponding longer wheel studs which imo are safer, lighter and better all round. Saying that lots of folk use those h&r and they have a decent reputation.

Have you considered instead of using any spacers/adapters, changing the offset. The rears are easy and cheap as you just need any 944 87+ hubs and rotors. The fronts will cost a little more and you’ll need 87+ struts, top mounts, spindles, control arms, steering arms and rotors but still way cheaper than TurboS stuff. Plus you’ll be upgrading to a much stronger hub and a better rotor design and, unlike the TurboS components, your 86 Brembo calipers will still fit.
Old 09-17-2018, 02:39 PM
Bmuldoon
Rennlist Member

Wouldn't mind upgrading to the 87 setup as you mention but recently replaced all of my bushings, struts etc. so it may be a little too cost prohibitive at the moment.

Of course, I could always revert back to my 16" Phone Dials sans spacers and sell the Mag wheels.
Old 09-17-2018, 02:56 PM
Humboldtgrin
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Last I checked mag wheels went for $7,000+. You could get a good suspension setup with that.
Old 09-17-2018, 04:08 PM
PF
Rennlist Member

Received 364 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by Bmuldoon
Currently running 28mm H&R spacers on the front and rear of my '86 951 with Magnesium Cup (late offset wheels). Have about 1,000 miles on them and checked the torque this weekend and everything was still in spec.

Curious what the safety consensus is for spirited street driving (no track duty) and using spacers this large? I have considered switching to an M030 setup but it's a lot of work and not cheap.

Spacer Details:

Porsche used spacers like that from the factory on many cars. For instance the 964 RS that had a 18mm spacers at the rear. I used to own a 964 RS that I used extensively on track for over 10 years. Never had any issues.
I also have 21mm stock Porsche spacers in the rear on my 1989 944 Turbo Cup with no issues.
I would not hesitate to use them in any condition.

//Peder
Old 09-17-2018, 04:35 PM
Bmuldoon
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PF
Porsche used spacers like that from the factory on many cars. For instance the 964 RS that had a 18mm spacers at the rear. I used to own a 964 RS that I used extensively on track for over 10 years. Never had any issues.
I also have 21mm stock Porsche spacers in the rear on my 1989 944 Turbo Cup with no issues.
I would not hesitate to use them in any condition.

//Peder
Thanks Peder, that's definitely reassuring. I was after the Turbo Cup wheels for a number of years. Now that I have them I wanted to make sure I wasn't using a setup that was prone to failure. Don't love the idea of all the additional rotational mass with the spacers but they are necessary to fit the late offset to my '86.
Old 09-17-2018, 08:26 PM
Max Energy
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Guys,
I had the same H&R spacers/adapters on my 944 race car for over 5 years with no problems.
On my current build I have the same spacer adapters but I pressed out the studs and went with longer bull nose custom studs from:
http://www.msiracingproducts.com/products.html
This allows me to just have through studs that I pressed into the Racers Edge front billet hubs and know just using the H&R's as spacers.
The new build will have 18x11 wheels square
I have used the 21mm and the 28mm
Max
Old 09-17-2018, 09:49 PM
951and944S
Race Car

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Max Energy
Guys,
I had the same H&R spacers/adapters on my 944 race car for over 5 years with no problems.
On my current build I have the same spacer adapters but I pressed out the studs and went with longer bull nose custom studs from:
http://www.msiracingproducts.com/products.html
This allows me to just have through studs that I pressed into the Racers Edge front billet hubs and know just using the H&R's as spacers.
The new build will have 18x11 wheels square
I have used the 21mm and the 28mm
Max
+1...., show 'em the pic I asked y'all to spy from the NOLA meet and greet....

Top level SP3 cars running 1.5" spacers.

Just make sure your studs are long enough and use a hubcentric spacer.

T
Old 09-18-2018, 07:03 AM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 295 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by PF
Porsche used spacers like that from the factory on many cars.... //Peder
Thats good to know, I didn’t realize those sort of spacers had become mainstream Porsche parts. The factory ones on my 944’s were always of the traditional style requiring longer studs. I guess they switched to the “adapter” style in the 90’s.
Old 09-19-2018, 12:16 AM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by Bmuldoon

Spacer Details:

I have used and still occasionally use these type of spacers. I have had zero problems with them They have been on a dedicated track car. When they are in use I will check the toque on them twice a day (probably over kill), I switch tires from side to side at the end of the day. I have never had a lug that did not meet torque.
Old 09-21-2018, 11:15 AM
Bmuldoon
Rennlist Member

Thanks everyone for the feedback! I'll stick with the spacers and the cup wheels for now!

Quick Reply: Consensus on H&R Spacers?