Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Banjo bolt instead of coolant bleed screw?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2018, 08:54 AM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

Received 157 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by Gage
Yes, the tank is higher than the gooseneck but I believe the prescribed liquid level in the tank is lower than the vent outlet in the gooseneck.
Not at full operating temp; at least mine rises pretty high. But maybe it's not supposed to?
Old 09-16-2018, 02:27 PM
mahoney944
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan Martinic
Can this be done? I sure hate all that coolant spilling over the intake manifold gaskets and esp down into that valley where it just sits there. No matter how many rags I stuff in there, it just gets everywhere.

I guess all that's needed is a fitting with shutoff that screws into the coolant neck, replacing the bleed screw? That's a pretty small thread though
Ideally yes. You could always tap the waterneck to allow a larger thread fitting too, but I'd prefer to keep the thread stock to keep it simple.
Old 09-16-2018, 06:01 PM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

First person to source a shutoff fitting the stock thread gets a thank you... in all-caps!!
Old 09-16-2018, 06:25 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

youd need a spacer but this one should let you attach a hose to the end.

http://products.jitsie.com/site/en/M...lve-JI6127920/
Old 09-16-2018, 07:46 PM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

Of course! A brake bleed screw.. brilliant. For providing the insight and finding a good candidate, you get a THANK YOU

What do you mean by spacer? Is that because the threaded part looks a lot longer than the stock part and this spacer would fill in the gap? And M8x1.0 is the correct thread? PET doesn't give the spec (Stock is part no. 931-106-156-00 )

Old 09-16-2018, 07:49 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

exactly, that item is listed as a banjo bolt so presumably it's long enough for a banjo fitting.
if you don't fit a banjo fitting you'll need something else approximately that thickness (big nut, or a metal spacer)
Old 09-16-2018, 10:40 PM
Dave951
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes the factory coolant bleed screw is M8x1.0. Summit has 2 brake bleeders in that size; can get a set of 5 standard bleeders for ~$12. Might have to stack 2 M8 crush washers, or find a thicker one as the threads don't go all the way to the nut surface.
Old 09-16-2018, 11:22 PM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

Originally Posted by Dave951
Yes the factory coolant bleed screw is M8x1.0. Summit has 2 brake bleeders in that size; can get a set of 5 standard bleeders for ~$12. Might have to stack 2 M8 crush washers, or find a thicker one as the threads don't go all the way to the nut surface.
Say, you wouldn't happen to have a part number? I just did a search on Sunset Porsche's site but they don't give the specs for the various bleed screws.

As an aside, I can't help wonder why Porsche didn't put a proper bleeder there just like the brakes? I mean, they made it possible to put a hose while bleeding brakes... and really, anyone do that? I just let it run down the side and wipe; meanwhile, the coolant neck is such a bad spot to drain!

Unless using a hose can mess up the bleed... I guess you need to ensure you keep it up high; not particularly hard to do
Old 09-17-2018, 01:07 AM
Dave951
Burning Brakes

Summit Racing - M8x1 Brake Bleeders. Also saw a few yellow zinc plated ones on ebay that are used on motorbikes in the appropriate size.
Old 09-17-2018, 09:35 AM
Gage
Rennlist Member

Received 328 Likes on 266 Posts

What am I missing here?
How does a brake bleed screw stop the flow of coolant when installed in the gooseneck?
What does it close / seat against?
Old 09-17-2018, 10:53 AM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 295 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by Gage
What am I missing here?
How does a brake bleed screw stop the flow of coolant when installed in the gooseneck?
What does it close / seat against?
+1000, this thread started with creating a constant bleed system that isn’t needed and is ending by adding a hydraulic bleed screw to prevent the engine getting wet when bleeding.

Those hydraulic brake bleed screws are not designed for the purpose intended here, they need a tapered seat to seal against, and is it really such a big problem getting the engine slightly wet with coolant everytime you bleed the system. It does evaporate off the first time you drive it you know and it’s not like you do it more than maybe once a year
Old 09-17-2018, 11:10 AM
Dave951
Burning Brakes

The traditional approach. 1/4" Male NPT to M8x1 Male 90* adapter connected to 1/4" Female NPT to 1/4" Male NPT Ball Shut off valve. Together can be sourced for around $20
Old 09-17-2018, 11:38 AM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

Originally Posted by MAGK944

+1000, this thread started with creating a constant bleed system that isn’t needed and is ending by adding a hydraulic bleed screw to prevent the engine getting wet when bleeding.

Those hydraulic brake bleed screws are not designed for the purpose intended here, they need a tapered seat to seal against, and is it really such a big problem getting the engine slightly wet with coolant everytime you bleed the system. It does evaporate off the first time you drive it you know and it’s not like you do it more than maybe once a year
Spencer's linked part is described as "Lightweight aluminium banjo bolt with stainless steel valve and rubber cap as used on the Braktec mono bloc front brake caliper." I assume the valve part does the sealing. I started to imagine all brake bleed screws having a ball inside or something; frankly, I never really thought how they work! I think I need to do some more learning on the basics of threaded fittings lol

I have only had successful bleeds when running the process for a while; last time, it took a looong time for the bubbles to stop--to the point of adding more coolant while bleeding. I began to worry about soaking of the intake gaskets.. them being paper now swimming in hot coolant. Then that pool in the "V" between block & balance shaft housing: yes, it burns off, but it leaves nasty residue.

Sure.. I guess not a big deal.. but how much nicer it would be to have a "clean bleed"! For those of us that don't wrench daily, it would be great for things to be a little neater and easier... like pulling spark plug wires... or distributor cap fastening... or oil fill that's a little *closer*.. or easily-accessible AOS seals... or....... I guess the list is quite long on our beauties
Old 09-17-2018, 12:41 PM
mahoney944
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by MAGK944

The beeder we would use consists of two parts. The part that screws into the water neck has a npt thread internally for a standard bleeder to screw into so it operates properly. Most auto part stores sell a bleeder repair kit that does just that. The trick is to find one the fits the stock thread. The banjo one above is close but no cigar for me. I'm looking for one similar to this.

Old 09-17-2018, 01:27 PM
Dave951
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Dave951
The traditional approach. 1/4" Male NPT to M8x1 Male 90* adapter connected to 1/4" Female NPT to 1/4" Male NPT Ball Shut off valve. Together can be sourced for around $20
Thought about this a bit more and would rather use a small fuel shut off valve and a straight adapter for the metric fitting (M8x1 to 1/8" NPT) in this case. Then just connect a hose to the barb during bleeding.

Quick Reply: Banjo bolt instead of coolant bleed screw?