Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Race car hatch latch ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2018, 09:31 AM
mbean
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

We've had no issues with the rubber latches coming undone, or with fogging. They hold everything as snug as it needs to be. Wouldn't trust them alone on the front hood...
Old 08-04-2018, 02:09 PM
Cloud9...68
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by MAGK944

On a track car the reason those pins alone are useless is that they sometimes can become dislodged over bumps and the like and then the hatch opens. That will spoil your day on a track, so most folk don’t rely on the pins and fit other, more secure methods of holding the hatch closed.

Ive also found that even if you adjust the pins just right to seal tight but still work perfectly, both opening easily and holding the hatch firmly closed, you will still need to adjust them a few times a year as the seasons change. Those pins tend to go out of adjustment as the weather changes and it’s just impractical to spend time on getting the adjustment right on a track car. It seems like you’ve adjusted yours to keep the hatch closed at the expense of opening easily, it’s definitely a fine tolerance to get them right but if that works for you then that’s ok
Point taken. The hatch flying open after coming loose from its death grip is not an issue with my heavy hatch glass and 26 year-old struts, but when I get a poly hatch window, I'll include some sort of external attachment mechanism and ditch the hatch pins.
Old 08-04-2018, 07:37 PM
Noahs944
Race Car

Received 229 Likes on 168 Posts

Are the racers who are happy with the rubber hold downs not using struts? This might be my problem.
Old 09-09-2018, 01:11 PM
Jay Wellwood
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 267 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by 951and944S

T
Those look like the ones used on the 924 GTP
Old 09-11-2018, 06:38 PM
Kurt R
Hates Family Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Noahs944
Would love to see detailed photos of them installed. I used those then upgraded to a heavier duty version of the same thing but find my hatch struts are still to powerful that I am getting too big a gap at the hatch seal:/
I can't find the thread right now, but Eric Kuhns had a good write up on their installation. Either here or on 944spec. He made a bracket that bolted in where the pins were, and then the rubber part connected to that. The other piece was attached to the body.
Another option would be to attach an angled piece to the hatch frame with a hole in it, and then use a positive locking pin to secure it to the body.

My struts hold my hatch up, but only when I clamp a small vice grip to one of them.

Quick Reply: Race car hatch latch ideas?