Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Clutch inspection.

Old 07-22-2018, 09:44 PM
moalaska
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Clutch inspection.

I am under my car now. I measured the distance from front of slave cylinder clutch fork and front of hole, I got about 20mm. This should be inspection right? My clutch seems to be slipping slightly,not enough for me to really notice it, but if I get on boost I can definately smell clutch. Very occasionally I've gone to press the clutch pedal and it seemed jammed. So what would be causing clutch slippage with 20 mm clearance? Could one of the helper springs fallen out and maybe jamming in a pressure plate or something?
Old 07-22-2018, 10:48 PM
moalaska
Rennlist Member

ok and also I can manually press the clutch fork towards the back of the car pushing the slave rod in with a screwdriver. am I supposed to be able to compress the slave cylinder rod manually?
Old 07-22-2018, 11:00 PM
951and944S
Race Car

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

When you move lever 1 way, you are just pushing fluid from slave back into master, it should be soft and easy to do.
This is actually how I bleed the system.

The other way, screwdriver between fork and bell housing, you should have full resistance of pressure plate.

By "jammed" what do you mean exactly...., the pedal won't move down with foot pressure..?

Leaking rear main seal can cause slippage, rings leaking boost into crankcase forces even more oil out.

T
Old 07-22-2018, 11:53 PM
moalaska
Rennlist Member

Yeah when it has felt jammed I went to press the clutch pedal and it didn't move. This only happened rarely. With the clutch pedal fully depressed the clutch fork moves about 15-20mm.
Old 07-26-2018, 12:50 AM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

Received 157 Likes on 131 Posts

I don't think you are measuring your clutch fork travel right; I always thought it was distance from rest to stop, not distance from stop to hole end?

To see what I mean, start this video at exactly 15:49:

Old 07-26-2018, 12:56 AM
moalaska
Rennlist Member

I was measuring per the clark procedure and other tech documents for new clutch versus worn clutch. not clutch travel.

clark garage
  1. If the measured distance is 34 mm or greater the clutch disc should be replaced. The distance for a new clutch should be approximately 18 mm.
I got about 20mm, which is pretty close to new specs according to clarks garage.

I also measured the travel and got maybe 17mm of travel similar to the video.
Old 07-26-2018, 01:14 AM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

Received 157 Likes on 131 Posts

Ok got it. Seems you shouldn't have slipping then? You are suggesting it's slipping from the smell; do the rpms indicate slipping?

As for the clutch pedal, there is an adjustment for play, but it took me a while to figure it out. It's hard because of the tension of the helper spring. I suspect the pedal is adjusted too tight.

There should definitely be about 3mm free play which feels just like the brake pedal:

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Clutch inspection.