Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Nissan alternator install and Vems...battery light flickering when car is hot

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2018, 08:06 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 533 Likes on 287 Posts

From your first post, it sounds like you are saying the voltage at the battery is the same whether the light is flickering or not. Doesn't that suggest more of an instrumentation error, like bad grounds or connections at (or to) the cluster itself?
Old 09-24-2018, 08:45 PM
Dkritz944
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tom M'Guinn
From your first post, it sounds like you are saying the voltage at the battery is the same whether the light is flickering or not. Doesn't that suggest more of an instrumentation error, like bad grounds or connections at (or to) the cluster itself?
Correct. It does sound like that. But this started when the alternator was replaced. No issues before that. That’s why I’m leaning towards it. Also the light flickering is dependent on Motor speed. Hence how fast the alternator is spinning. May have a crack at pulling the gauge cluster first. Since it may be a bit easier if a job. Then go from there.
Old 09-25-2018, 07:54 PM
Humboldtgrin
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Well knowing that it is your alternator’s regulator.
Old 09-26-2018, 01:05 PM
Dkritz944
Instructor

Originally Posted by Humboldtgrin
Well knowing that it is your alternator’s regulator.
yeah I’m thinking that too. When the car warms up, the voltage regulator inside the alternator seems to be grounding itself out due to the heat I expect. Causing the light. Gonna contact California Electric on eBay to see if I can exchange it.
Old 01-24-2019, 02:31 AM
shortyboy
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Dkritz944

yeah I’m thinking that too. When the car warms up, the voltage regulator inside the alternator seems to be grounding itself out due to the heat I expect. Causing the light. Gonna contact California Electric on eBay to see if I can exchange it.
Bump, in hopes of finding leads to fix my vems issues. Since we both have similar running issues with vems. Have you solved your problems? I also have a Nissan alternator Hi Torque started and sharky cable line kit. A faulty alternator not providing enough juice to starter would explain not being able to spin engine fast enough for a good start. Why good start every few times, i dont know.
Old 01-24-2019, 07:06 AM
Dkritz944
Instructor

Originally Posted by shortyboy
Bump, in hopes of finding leads to fix my vems issues. Since we both have similar running issues with vems. Have you solved your problems? I also have a Nissan alternator Hi Torque started and sharky cable line kit. A faulty alternator not providing enough juice to starter would explain not being able to spin engine fast enough for a good start. Why good start every few times, i dont know.
i fixed the battery light issue. The jumper wire I had set up was not providing an adequate connection. So i ran the wire to the positive terminal on the battery. And bam. It worked. Voltage is perfect and no light. As far as the good/bad start problem...it has everything to do with the flywheel and the reference sensors. The stock flywheel only has one reverence points. While aftermarket ones have 2 points. VEMS is set up for a duel flywheel system. So, if you have a stock flywheel, you are out of luck. You will get a good start 50% of the time. Truly sucks. Solution? Get a aftermarket flywheel.
Old 01-24-2019, 01:31 PM
shortyboy
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Dkritz944

i fixed the battery light issue. The jumper wire I had set up was not providing an adequate connection. So i ran the wire to the positive terminal on the battery. And bam. It worked. Voltage is perfect and no light. As far as the good/bad start problem...it has everything to do with the flywheel and the reference sensors. The stock flywheel only has one reverence points. While aftermarket ones have 2 points. VEMS is set up for a duel flywheel system. So, if you have a stock flywheel, you are out of luck. You will get a good start 50% of the time. Truly sucks. Solution? Get a aftermarket flywheel.

Glad you got your battery light issue fixed. But there are many here running VEMS on stock flywheel and stock speed/reference sensor. Not sure why you believe you need an aftermarket wheel to runs VEMS. There are 3 of us, including you who have similar if not exact problem. Have you installed an aftermarket flywheel and solved your running issues?
Old 01-24-2019, 01:33 PM
Dkritz944
Instructor

Originally Posted by shortyboy
Glad you got your battery light issue fixed. But there are many here running VEMS on stock flywheel and stock speed/reference sensor. Not sure why you believe you need an aftermarket wheel to runs VEMS. There are 3 of us, including you who have similar if not exact problem. Have you installed an aftermarket flywheel and solved your running issues?
no I haven’t. I usually just restart the car til I get a “good start”. This was exposed by a very very remound tuner in Europe. There is a tread about it on the premier 944 Group on Facebook. Which btw is an amazing group to join. Check it out.

Quick Reply: Nissan alternator install and Vems...battery light flickering when car is hot