Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Condenser A/C Line Doesn't Fit

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2018, 10:36 PM
bradthebold
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Condenser A/C Line Doesn't Fit

I went to have my A/C filled and there is a huge leak because the condenser line can't seat at the compressor, it hits the mounting bracket. The car didn't have any refrigerant when I bought it, so it may have been the situation then, but now if I tighten that line, I can't tighten the AC/alternator belt tight enough without hitting that bracket. I changed the alternator for a quest one, but that should still use the stock belt, otherwise the mounting bracket and compressor can't be put in wrong, so I have no idea why it won't fit. The line is dented from tightening the belt before I'm guessing and I relieved the corner of the bracket and used a smaller nut and it still hits.

So either I can try a new hose and see if mine was damaged, but I don't know how it could be since it's mostly soft, or use a shorter belt. My new continental belt is longer than the old one I took off, but the old was was still too long to be able to tighten. Same id number though.

Name:  JtkgJZUl.jpg
Views: 9
Size:  34.1 KB

Name:  59Bw067l.jpg
Views: 9
Size:  36.5 KB
Old 07-15-2018, 10:42 PM
bradthebold
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not sure how much shorter I should go. Looks like the stock belt is 39.5", a 390K6 is 39", a 38.5" is hard to find but autozone has a 38.8, and a 380K6 is 38".

I'll probably try a 38" since that's only a 0.5" diameter difference. That might not be enough.

Quick Reply: Condenser A/C Line Doesn't Fit