Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

New here, looking for details on the parts Porsche upgraded on the 88-89 turbo cars

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2018, 12:47 PM
DeanErb
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 1989 Arrow Blue Porsche 944 Turbo build thread

Hi guys, I'm Dean. Pretty new here. I've occasionally been visiting the site for info over the past couple of months. I bought an 89 Porsche 944 turbo this past October that was headed down a fairly scary path but I got it before it went too far and I'm in the process of turning the project around.

I'm currently trying to gather some info on these cars, the wiki has been helpful but also seems to be missing a lot of information, I've done a search on this forum but I mainly seem to be coming up with build threads instead of stock info on these cars.

I'm trying to find detailed on information on what Porsche factory parts were upgraded on the 944 turbo specifically that were included in the '88-'89 model years.

I'm basically looking for a list that may be able to shed some light on the details of the parts in this picture, mainly, the engine components like the camshaft, cylinders, block, turbo and cooling system (water and oil.) The transmission, are first and second gear hardened in 88 and 89 model years? Was the exhaust size increased over the NA cars?

I know the brakes are from the 928 S4, were any other parts borrowed from the Porsche lineup, anything from the 911?

I have information on the brakes, suspension, wheels, and body pieces, I'm just looking to fill the gap on the rest of the info if possible.

Any help with this info is greatly appreciated.

Here are some pictures of my desperately needed saving 951, currently nicknamed the "blueberry filled banana," It seems fitting.

Last edited by DeanErb; 12-31-2022 at 08:17 PM.
Old 07-04-2018, 01:22 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 632 Likes on 490 Posts

Originally Posted by DeanErb
I'm trying to find detailed on information on what Porsche factory parts were upgraded on the 944 turbo specifically that were included in the '88-'89 model years.

I'm basically looking for a list that may be able to shed some light on the details of the parts in this picture, mainly, the engine components like the camshaft, cylinders, block, turbo and cooling system (water and oil.) The transmission, are first and second gear hardened in 88 and 89 model years? Was the exhaust size increased over the NA cars?
major differences between 88S/89 and the other years of turbo is the slightly larger turbine housing on the turbo, revised tune for higher boost (0.8 vs 0.75 bar IIRC), hardened 1/2 gears, beefed up suspension/brakes, and chassis reinforcements on the front frame rails (look on your car, just visible in the photos between the "wheel well liner" and the frame rail by the headlight mechanism. the triangular sheet metal plate thing on each side of the car was 88S/89+specific).

cam, block, head, cooling system were all identical to the standard turbo model. the turbo models all used the same camshaft as the early NA cars.
turbo exhaust is a bit bigger than NA exhaust, IIRC NA is something around 55mm OD and turbo is ~65 with a straight-thru muffler.

Last edited by V2Rocket; 07-04-2018 at 01:38 PM.
Old 07-04-2018, 01:45 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 295 Likes on 231 Posts

+ Koni adjustable shocks front and rear, ride height adjustment threaded collars on the front struts, progressive springs, larger rear torsion bars, harder bushings throughout, and larger sway bars front and rear, 16 inch forged 7&8” Club Sport wheels external cooler on the trans, more clutches inside the improved limited slip differential.
Old 07-04-2018, 01:45 PM
DeanErb
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Thank you for the insight V2Rocket and MAGK944. It's very appreciated.
Old 07-04-2018, 05:26 PM
fejjj
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 39 Posts

7 and 9” forged wheels not 7 and 8”.
Old 07-04-2018, 06:20 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by fejjj
7 and 9” forged wheels not 7 and 8”.
ah yes, my bad.
Old 07-04-2018, 07:03 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 533 Likes on 287 Posts

In the US, the '89 came with air bags. Interesting to see your car without them. I know the original '88 Silber Rosa S brochure also shows the car without airbags, so it was apparently a country-by-country thing.
Old 07-05-2018, 07:50 AM
DeanErb
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tom M'Guinn
In the US, the '89 came with air bags. Interesting to see your car without them. I know the original '88 Silber Rosa S brochure also shows the car without airbags, so it was apparently a country-by-country thing.
The previous owner had a black parts car with black interior which this interior came from. Originally this car was white with a burgundy interior so it may have had airbags before the parts were moved over.
Old 07-05-2018, 08:31 AM
Willard Bridgham 3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

DIFFERENCE BETWEEN (turbo)= 215 hp up to 1988 (turbo S)=247 hp 1988, turbo 89-91

Engine:
TS has larger turbine blade and higher a/r ratio, same compressor blade and more boost (T= k26/6, TS= k26/8 )
TS has different computer In addition to changing the turbocharger a different DME (Digital Motor Electronics) control unit is used with different fuel and ignition curve families. A different knock and charge pressure control unit KLR is also used to increase the boost to 1.82 bar absolute (11.89 psi boost) an increase of 0.07 bar from the 1.75 bar absolute (10.88 psi boost) of the T
TS has 247 vs 217 hp for T and higher torque for TS
TS has baffled oil pan and extended oil pick-up (this was an upgrade on T and TS from late 87)

Suspension:
TS has koni adjustable shocks and sport suspension with larger sway bars and etc
TS has adjustable spring perches,
TS has body structure strengthening brackets,
TS has stiffer bushings in suspension parts,
TS has higher rate springs(190lb/in TS front vs 160lb/in T front)

Brakes and Wheels:
TS has larger stock tires and wheels
TS has huge brakes (big blacks)
TS has club sport wheels
TS has ABS standard,

Drive Train:
TS has transaxle cooler- this is not peculiar to TS as there were coolers in other years
TS has limited slip differential with thicker plates,
TS has hardened 1st and 2nd gears and hardened transaxle shafts

Other Stuff:
TS has 10 speaker stereo,
TS has split-back rear seats
TS rear track is 1" wider

In short, the turbo s cars are more full-out racing machines than turbo cars and were developed with data from the turbo cup road racing series in Europe.
The following users liked this post:
EVOMMM (12-19-2022)
Old 07-05-2018, 08:57 AM
951and944S
Race Car

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by MAGK944
+ Koni adjustable shocks front and rear, ride height adjustment threaded collars on the front struts, progressive springs, larger rear torsion bars, harder bushings throughout, and larger sway bars front and rear, 16 inch forged 7&8” Club Sport wheels external cooler on the trans, more clutches inside the improved limited slip differential.
Plates in the diff are only thicker, supposedly more durable.

Same number of plates though.

T
Old 07-05-2018, 08:58 AM
DeanErb
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Willard Bridgham 3
DIFFERENCE BETWEEN (turbo)= 215 hp up to 1988 (turbo S)=247 hp 1988, turbo 89-91

Engine:
TS has larger turbine blade and higher a/r ratio, same compressor blade and more boost (T= k26/6, TS= k26/8 )
TS has different computer In addition to changing the turbocharger a different DME (Digital Motor Electronics) control unit is used with different fuel and ignition curve families. A different knock and charge pressure control unit KLR is also used to increase the boost to 1.82 bar absolute (11.89 psi boost) an increase of 0.07 bar from the 1.75 bar absolute (10.88 psi boost) of the T
TS has 247 vs 217 hp for T and higher torque for TS
TS has baffled oil pan and extended oil pick-up (this was an upgrade on T and TS from late 87)

Suspension:
TS has koni adjustable shocks and sport suspension with larger sway bars and etc
TS has adjustable spring perches,
TS has body structure strengthening brackets,
TS has stiffer bushings in suspension parts,
TS has higher rate springs(190lb/in TS front vs 160lb/in T front)

Brakes and Wheels:
TS has larger stock tires and wheels
TS has huge brakes (big blacks)
TS has club sport wheels
TS has ABS standard,

Drive Train:
TS has transaxle cooler- this is not peculiar to TS as there were coolers in other years
TS has limited slip differential with thicker plates,
TS has hardened 1st and 2nd gears and hardened transaxle shafts

Other Stuff:
TS has 10 speaker stereo,
TS has split-back rear seats
TS rear track is 1" wider

In short, the turbo s cars are more full-out racing machines than turbo cars and were developed with data from the turbo cup road racing series in Europe.
Wow, thank you Willard Bridgham

Did the 89 turbo have all of the upgrades the 88 turbo s had?

Were the speakers, split back seats, M030 option and LSD options on the 89 turbo, not factory spec?
Old 07-05-2018, 12:22 PM
Oddjob
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by DeanErb
Wow, thank you Willard Bridgham

Did the 89 turbo have all of the upgrades the 88 turbo s had?

Were the speakers, split back seats, M030 option and LSD options on the 89 turbo, not factory spec?
For the US market, there were two groups of the 88S cars made. The first/early batch was the silver rose/burgundy cloth cars, the second group of 88S cars were available in all colors.

The early 89T cars were very similar to the late 88S cars. They had all the same options as standard equipment, other than maybe the split rear seats. I don't recall seeing many or any 89s with split rear seats.

The mid and later production 89s started losing some of the standard options, as Porsche was trying to reduce costs when overall sales started dropping off at the end of the decade. The performance features were maintained on all the 89s (M030, LSD, S4 Brakes, 247 hp, etc), but some of the luxury features started disappearing (head light washers is one I can think of offhand).

Also, around mid production in 89, the factory started switching over to cast rods instead of forged, and the rear sway bar was changed from 18mm to 16mm (I'm guessing to promote more understeer for inexperience street drivers).
Old 07-05-2018, 12:55 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

There’s some good clarity and information being posted here, the turboS and subsequent turbos are a source of some confusion, some of which was instigated by the factory. This was likely due to a number of factors, the turboS being a limited production model to start with, then the limited numbers increased, then carried over to the next year turbos (that were not designated turboS and were the end of line in the US), and the continuation of the model in the row after 89 with further reduced options.

One such confusion is what was designated option M758 (the turboS option) which included the S4 brakes. Some folk in the US describe these as M030 brakes which they were not. M030 is a suspension option and did not include brakes. The S4 brakes were a part of the M758 option and were carried over to 90on turbos still being sold in row. However after 89 a lot of cost cutting was going on and other parts were dropped from the row turbos such as forged CS wheels replaced by cast D90’s, making M220 (LSD) an option, etc.
Old 07-05-2018, 01:00 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 632 Likes on 490 Posts

wonder if that front chassis bracing would be worthwhile on a car with non-M030 suspension?
Old 07-05-2018, 04:26 PM
Humboldtgrin
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

And the intake manifold for the TS models had two banjo bolts opposed to just one for the regular turbo’s.

Quick Reply: New here, looking for details on the parts Porsche upgraded on the 88-89 turbo cars