Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

oil

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2018, 02:42 PM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

Received 157 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by markl951
Well responding to this thread can open a whole can of worms for sure. What brand 20W/50? That's a key parameter.

I've been using Liquimoly 10W-60 in both of my 944 cars for the past couple of years.

I second the Liqui-Moly 10w60.

When I first got my car, 10 yrs ago, it burned some oil. It had 69k miles, all original car. I was using Castrol 20w50 at first. On a whim, I tried this one. The oil burning almost completely went away.

I drive year-round in Toronto. It’s now 160k US miles, almost 100k on LM 10w60.

Recently, while changing the clutch, I measured the crank thrust play and it’s getting close to the limit, so there’s wear there. Oil pressure fully hot is usually around 3bar on the dash, sometimes dropping as low as 2bar. Still in spec, but near the limit.

Took head off recently and the machine shop said it’s all good still. No significant wear on cam or lifter as far as I can tell.

My gut feeling is during very cold Februarys, the oil was a bit too thick. At those temps, it doesn’t even flow out the bottle easy.

I would suggest this oil for three seasons then switch to a slightly thinner for Dec-March. I’ll be doing that now. Liqui-Moly has some good options.

I feel it’s a good brand. German like our cars.

FYI I used their 15w40 with black additive for three years in a 94 Volvo we had with over 300k on it. The engine got increasingly better mileage and burned less oil in that time. Love that oil! But, I question if it’s good for our turbo cars. Maybe I’ll get the LM additive seperately, though hard to find.

Note: LM 10w60 has gone up in price big time: $70CAN / 5 litre now ‘round here

Last edited by Dan Martinic; 07-06-2018 at 02:47 PM. Reason: Fixed grammar and added clarification

Quick Reply: oil