Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

'87 951 - Noise while backing...

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2018, 06:52 PM
FlyinInTheWind
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '87 951 - Noise while backing...

Ok, so I have looked and am seeing info about control arm ball joints, so def something to consider. However, a goofy question... I should not be able to see light between the bushing and sway bar, right? I am thinking that replacing the sway bar bushings might be the first step...

What say you all?

Last edited by FlyinInTheWind; 06-27-2018 at 08:59 PM. Reason: additional info
Old 06-27-2018, 09:29 PM
FlyinInTheWind
Track Day

Sorry for the double tap on posting my question, my tablet returned an error and I didn't think the first one made it...

On the topic of bushings, however, where is the best p,ace for quality, at a good price?
Old 06-27-2018, 09:29 PM
steven74
Instructor

Do you have a picture of the area you are in question of? Where are you seeing the gap and what kind of noise are you hearing? Is it only when in reverse and at what speed? Please provide more information so we can better assist.
Old 06-27-2018, 09:50 PM
FlyinInTheWind
Track Day

Originally Posted by steven74
Do you have a picture of the area you are in question of? Where are you seeing the gap and what kind of noise are you hearing? Is it only when in reverse and at what speed? Please provide more information so we can better assist.
OK, sorry, guess I was a bit vague.
So, when I am backing the car, I am hearing light clunking on the passenger side. The sound is also somewhat audible moving foreward. I have attached a picture that shows the light I can see between the bushing and end of the sway bar. This is only visible on the one side.

Light between bushing and sway bar

I really could have used a third hand taking this pic..
Old 06-27-2018, 10:50 PM
steven74
Instructor

I would agree that replacing the bushing is a good idea. How about wheel bearings, in particular torqued correctly on the spindle? General condition of bushings and ball joint in right lower control arm? Is it loudest while applying brakes while moving, like a bushing deflecting?
Old 06-27-2018, 11:29 PM
951and944S
Race Car

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

A sway bar makes a (for lack of a better word) "boing" sound like a tuning fork or a loaded spring when it's able to move at a high frequency.
When the bushings are totally gone, a metallic knock sound.

When you reverse with some force, the rear of the car will jack itself up, opposite of the squat that happens when you launch forward and it's not uncommon to hear sounds you wouldn't hear otherwise.

T
Old 06-28-2018, 10:39 AM
FlyinInTheWind
Track Day

I would agree that replacing the bushing is a good idea. How about wheel bearings, in particular torqued correctly on the spindle? General condition of bushings and ball joint in right lower control arm? Is it loudest while applying brakes while moving, like a bushing deflecting?
It is loudest while simply backing straight down my driveway. I have a 50+ foot driveway, and I am not turning the wheel much while doing so. Also, I can hear it a bit while driving forward, again, driving straight.
I have not checked the torque on the wheel bearings, however, they are solid and I could not sense any wiggle or slop when manually shaking/moving the rotor. In regards to the general condition of the bushings and ball joint.... All of the other bushings visibly appear good, the boot on the ball joint is in-tact and shows no signs of deterioration, but I have not taken anything off yet, besides the wheel.

I did read a thread that mentioned pulling the sway bar out and then checking to see if the noise still exists, if so, it is most likely the control arm ball joints. If the noise is gone, then it is the sway bar and associated bushings. It is also the easiest task to do and doesn't cost too much to buy replacement bushings, which are clearly needed anyway.

I believe the '87 has the rebuild-able control arms, but I haven't gotten far enough into it to verify. Rebuilding is definitely my preferred as replacement control arms are not cheap. Thankfully I have a source for some used rebuild-able arms, and they are much more cost effective!

I've had great luck thus far with this car, only bought it back in August, and most of the issues I have encountered were fairly simple fixes, starter and radiator were the only things that Had to be replaced beyond the general maintenance items, belts/hoses/etc... Hoping that this too ends up being the same, but regardless, I enjoy playing with (and driving) this car.
Old 06-29-2018, 08:53 AM
steven74
Instructor

Congratulations on your car and good luck with finding your noise. I might suggest disconnecting the sway bar from the front control arms and securing it out of the way and then testing it in your driveway. That way you relieve tenson on the bar but don't have to remove the whole bar. Keep us posted.
Old 06-30-2018, 07:09 PM
FlyinInTheWind
Track Day

Default Nope, not the sway bar...

Congratulations on your car and good luck with finding your noise. I might suggest disconnecting the sway bar from the front control arms and securing it out of the way and then testing it in your driveway. That way you relieve tenson on the bar but don't have to remove the whole bar. Keep us posted.
Well, it was easiest to just remove the whole thing... Unfortunately, however, it is not the sway bar causing the noise...

So, if I believe correctly, the 87s have rebuildable ball joints on the control arms. Here is a picture that shows the bottom of the ball joint on the arm. Can someone confirm these are the ones before I send off for a rebuild kit?

Bottom of passenger control arm ball joint
Old 07-01-2018, 12:37 PM
FlyinInTheWind
Track Day

Default Other possibilities...

Originally Posted by FlyinInTheWind
Well, it was easiest to just remove the whole thing... Unfortunately, however, it is not the sway bar causing the noise...

So, if I believe correctly, the 87s have rebuildable ball joints on the control arms. Here is a picture that shows the bottom of the ball joint on the arm. Can someone confirm these are the ones before I send off for a rebuild kit?

Bottom of passenger control arm ball joint
Another question? Could this also be caused by the motor mounts?
Old 07-21-2018, 10:15 PM
FlyinInTheWind
Track Day

Default Solved

Ok, so, finally got around to ordering a ball joint kit and finished replacing them...

Nothing wrong here!?

So, upon pulling out the old ball joints, both looked about the same as above. Car is back together and I am happy to report that it fixed the noise.

Next project will be repainting my wheels.

Quick Reply: '87 951 - Noise while backing...