Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Interest in Clear timing belt covers

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2018, 10:36 AM
Humboldtgrin
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I have Porsche crests inlayed into my inside door handle. Now do you think that did anything for me at the ridiculous price I paid? No! It’s for looks. It’s all for look!! Why do you own your 951? Because it’s bad *** and looks cool? Because there are plenty of other cars that are cheaper and faster. That said it is what it is. Yes I would like to show off my blue timing belt, 968 timing components on my 2.5 DOHC build and maybe even my lightweight balance shaft gears. If you’re really not interested then don’t worry about it and move on, it’s obviously not for everyone.

Last edited by Humboldtgrin; 06-28-2018 at 02:41 PM.
Old 06-28-2018, 10:57 AM
951and944S
Race Car

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Humboldtgrin
I have Porsche crests inlayed into my inside door handle. Now do you think that did anything for me at the ridiculous price I paid? No! It’s for looks. It’s all for look!! Why do you own your 951? Because it’s bad *** and looks cool? Because there are plenty of other cars that are cheaper and faster. That said it is what it is. Yes I would like to show off my blue timing belt, 968 timing components on my 2.5 DOHC build and maybe even my lightweight balance shaft gears. If your really not interested then don’t worry about it and move on, it’s obviously not for everyone.
I tell you what I'll do...., I'll PM you from now on to review my posts for authorization before I hit "submit reply".

You posted in a public forum, this isn't a private facebook page.

Blow it out your a$$.

T
Old 06-28-2018, 11:35 AM
Humboldtgrin
Drifting

Originally Posted by 951and944S
I tell you what I'll do...., I'll PM you from now on to review my posts for authorization before I hit "submit reply".

You posted in a public forum, this isn't a private facebook page.

Blow it out your a$$.

T
Right...yea you don’t need to. Ever. I just don’t have the time to read all the long winded posts you type up, but thank you for the offer. Fortunately I’m smart enough to know I’m stupid, stupid enough to want a clear timing belt cover it seems. If anyone wants to be stupid with me and wants a clear cover I’ll continue to see if I can help.
Old 06-28-2018, 12:46 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 533 Likes on 287 Posts

...why do you need 550 bhp ... on a d@mned street car...?
Just because, ok...
Old 06-28-2018, 01:10 PM
Tedro951
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I didn't mean to start a crap-storm. I have nothing against bling. Each owner decides how much it matters to them, and if the price is acceptable to that end. The only dog I have in this hunt is the loss of numerous members of this forum over the last few years, due in some part to trolls and the like. I've always appreciated the forums as a way to keep old, complex cars going, some never being completed or ever becoming reliable drivers.

The OP has the right to ask if 500 people are interested in the belt covers. Everyone else has the right to respond.

I'll help the project along. I'd like a set to a set. Just to look at. Only 498 to go.
Old 06-28-2018, 01:48 PM
951and944S
Race Car

Originally Posted by Tom M'Guinn
Just because, ok...
You have an earned free pass....

I get it. This is an admission, but it's all documented for somebody to go back and see for themselves....,but I was to an extent the same at one time.
Hot rodding stuff with Tim Richards way back in the day before there were even Ford MAF kits.
Been there done that.

Ok, a major percentage of the posts I make are based from a racing stand point but it comes honestly.

I text with racers all day.
75% of my phone calls are about racing.
I eat lunch with racers.....and talk about racing.
The top 100 people in my email inbox are racers, race car builders, the utmost respected race engine builders on topics about how to go faster......racing.
I do transmissions and other related race car stuff....for racers.
I have a racing bookmarks folder.
The most visited sites in my browsing history are.....about racing.
My optometrist is a racer.
My daughter's orthodontist is a racer.
My son is a racer and I have a home shop full of race cars...

Uhm, maybe I need to find a psychiatrist....,

Anybody know one who races...?

T
Old 06-28-2018, 01:58 PM
951and944S
Race Car

Originally Posted by Tedro951
I didn't mean to start a crap-storm. I have nothing against bling. Each owner decides how much it matters to them, and if the price is acceptable to that end. The only dog I have in this hunt is the loss of numerous members of this forum over the last few years, due in some part to trolls and the like. I've always appreciated the forums as a way to keep old, complex cars going, some never being completed or ever becoming reliable drivers.

The OP has the right to ask if 500 people are interested in the belt covers. Everyone else has the right to respond.

I'll help the project along. I'd like a set to a set. Just to look at. Only 498 to go.
I only posted because you opened the door....

Seriously though, 931guru made a legit point, even though the OP responded to him in much the same way as he did to me, even though he never outlined what is the intent of this group buy, what does this part do for me..., why should I be interested.

Ex. will you join my group buy, this part xyz is better because zyx.

Ok, so it's bling, just say so.

You wanna take your covers off (whilst downing a car for inherent flaws that lead to wheel barrows worth of money) to clean them with Windex so everybody can see that you spent (wheelbarrows worth of money) money on items that in no way address the inherent mechanical flaws that seem to plaque this OP.

Whatever....,

T
Old 06-28-2018, 02:14 PM
Humboldtgrin
Drifting

Awesome! 498 to go. Anyone else? This is looking good so far.
Old 06-28-2018, 02:32 PM
Tedro951
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll drink to that!

I will leave this thread with a simple question. How many 16V 951s are on here, whether you'd like a clear belt cover or not?
Old 06-28-2018, 02:34 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Humboldtgrin
Awesome! 498 to go. Anyone else? This is looking good so far.
It's mere 497 -- you forget me I think. If someone could model the covers in CAD, you could probably have a high-end SLA or SLS shop 3D print them in optically clear plastic/resin.

https://www.zeal3dprinting.com.au/sla-3d-printing/
Old 06-28-2018, 03:04 PM
notny41
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I just think it would be cool to see the belts and gears turning.
Old 06-28-2018, 03:22 PM
951and944S
Race Car

Originally Posted by Tom M'Guinn
It's mere 497 -- you forget me I think. If someone could model the covers in CAD, you could probably have a high-end SLA or SLS shop 3D print them in optically clear plastic/resin.

https://www.zeal3dprinting.com.au/sla-3d-printing/
I had to go to lunch so I bowed out earlier..., but do you think it'd be possible to get some PC Desktop RGB lighting incorporated in these somehow...?

I might be in,

That way, I could program my covers to coincide with the seasons..., you know, red and green for Christmas, pink for Easter...,

I kid, I kid...,

FYI, there's one set of those two piece cams with adjustable cam gears left in the Michael Mount thread....

T
Old 06-28-2018, 06:49 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

I had to go to lunch so I bowed out earlier..., but do you think it'd be possible to get some PC Desktop RGB lighting incorporated in these somehow...?

I might be in,

That way, I could program my covers to coincide with the seasons..., you know, red and green for Christmas, pink for Easter...,

I kid, I kid...,

FYI, there's one set of those two piece cams with adjustable cam gears left in the Michael Mount thread....

T
I'll get to work on the mood lighting. In the meantime, it did occur to me that the covers should have timing marks around the main pulley so you can check timing with a timing light. I marked mine with white out, but this would a good opportunity to add a functional element.

Quick Reply: Interest in Clear timing belt covers