Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Moved to Cali! Question about 1986 944 Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2018, 11:46 AM
Nashvegas
Racer

Received 75 Likes on 44 Posts
Default Moved to Cali! Question about 1986 944 Turbo

I've moved to San Francisco CA from the southeast, and am thinking about registering my 1986 944 Turbo with ~40K miles in the state of CA.

Background:
-- The car is going to be based in CA and parked in my garage...
-- I have a house that I am keeping in Nashville TN so have an address there etc etc.
-- Car is 100% stock condition, no alterations to engine or emissions
-- This will be a weekend driver at best... (3rd car)
-- The car is currently registered with TN Antique Tags (permanent registration ie no annual renewal, no emissions testing or annual hassle)

Looking for guidance. Do I:

1) Register in CA, emissions test -- will it pass? (I have read a range of thoughts online from "You will have no problem" to "don't even try"...)
2) Keep it registered in TN with the Antique Tag, change garage location with insurance (they will be OK with this, have done it before), and don't worry about it.

Side note: The emissions sticker looks like this, it doesn't say CA specifically. Is this a 50 state car or 49 state ?

FWIW, I have one other car that will remain registered in TN because it's garaged there. I have a newish SUV that is in CA that I guess I'll be registering here. So will have vehicles registered in both TN and CA, with residences in both as well.
Old 06-26-2018, 11:57 AM
bw993
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Keep it registered in TN to save yourself the hassle with CA smog laws. If you have not had it smog tested in a number of years, there is ~75% chance you will fail CA smog due to California's tighter emissions requirements. Typically, current CA emissions standards are tighter now, then when your car was new. If you fail CA smog once as a gross polluter, you will be required to smog test your car annually going forward.
Old 06-26-2018, 12:40 PM
Humboldtgrin
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

You have to test anualy in San Francisco anyways. By law you have 10 or 14 days to register your car in California if you plan on keeping it in California. But there isn’t a law that can’t be broken except the laws of physics and those are only guesses.
Old 06-26-2018, 12:51 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

If your car is 100% stock, and everything is still up to snuff (no vac leaks), your car will have no problem passing California smog.
49 or 50 state doesn't matter for a used car.

You could probably get away with leaving it registered in TN on TN plates, but CA actually has a "tip line" for people to report cars to the state that might be cheating emissions or registration requirements...seriously.

Have to ask though...WHY would you ever leave Nashville for a ****-hole like SF?
Old 06-26-2018, 12:57 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 533 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by V2Rocket
If your car is 100% stock, and everything is still up to snuff (no vac leaks), your car will have no problem passing California smog.
49 or 50 state doesn't matter for a used car.
Agreed. That said, often it's the smog test that reveals how not up to snuff a car really is (cats and O2 sensors get old, leaks happen, ignition gets weak, injectors gets clogged, sensors stop working, and on and on...).
Old 06-26-2018, 01:03 PM
Nashvegas
Racer

Received 75 Likes on 44 Posts

All very helpful. Thanks. I think there is no upside to me registering it in CA. It may even go back to Nashville mid fall after Monterey due to garage space. TBD.

The big hitch I'm now running into is... you have to get a CA DL and register cars within 10 or so days of moving out here. But the earliest DMV appointment is... August 14th. Nice.

PS moved here for a great career opportunity I couldn't pass up. Been living in ATL for the past few years on a work assignment (it was a 6 month thing that turned into 4.5 years) so been a second since I've been in Nashville full time.
Old 06-26-2018, 01:25 PM
Humboldtgrin
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

You can go to any DMV in California and get a license. I drive an hour to a DMV that I like. Each DMV is different for some reason in California. It’s not like in and out burger where they’re all the same. But you do need to have a registered car here to get a license no BS. If anything get your car pre smoked first to see if it will pass.

Last edited by Humboldtgrin; 06-30-2018 at 06:14 PM.
Old 06-26-2018, 02:14 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

yeah, usually an "out of town" DMV is the better bet for shorter waits.

I can live in your house in Nashville to keep it maintained for you
Old 06-30-2018, 11:53 AM
Nowanker
Burning Brakes

Location: Formerly the DPRK, now seeking political asylum in Oregon
Received 363 Likes on 236 Posts

CA law says that you need CA registration and CA driver's license "if you live, work or go to school here"
My $.02...
Keep your TN license and address (and insurance address... they'll ask for your insurance card!).
If pulled over, you're here on vacation. B*tch is getting pulled over by the same cop 6 months later. I'm sure there would be a fine involved.
Smog isn't always a huge hassle, but ALWAYS has that potential.
Old 06-30-2018, 03:24 PM
Bill
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

My turbo has been registered in Nevada and driven in California for years. Non issue.
Old 07-01-2018, 01:40 AM
Droops83
Three Wheelin'

Received 76 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill
My turbo has been registered in Nevada and driven in California for years. Non issue.
This depends on several factors. I think that a 951 is a somewhat under-the-radar car (unless it is a particularly flashy example), but it also depends on the cops in your hometown. I know for a fact that the local cops in Malibu have been cracking down on rich guys flouting tax laws by registering their classic/exotic cars in Montana and the like when they are clearly residents. Those tickets are expensive from what I hear.

I think you will be fine with a bone-stock '86 as long as it is running well. The main issue is catalytic converter function, which might not be optimal in the case of a 32-year-old part. Make sure the engine/exhaust are hot, and ask the smog tech if a pre-test is possible so you don't get branded as a gross polluter.

Modified cars are more of a crapshoot. To this end, I made sure that my 951's engine compartment looks as factory as possible with the larger turbocharger and VEMS installation. All modifications were designed to be bolt-on and easily reversible if necessary. I am sometimes envious of those who live in states with no such requirements (my 951 would have a 1.8T or 07K swap if I lived elsewhere), but I love where I live so it is a sacrifice that I am OK with . . . .
Old 07-05-2018, 01:03 PM
cas951
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I moved to the Bay Area in 1989 from Hawaii. I kept my Hawaii plates and drivers license Untill i donated both cars which was 10 years later and not once was I ever stopped for having an out of state plates. I did get stopped on I-5 for speeding but no mention of the out of state plates or drivers license. That’s maybe due to bein on the interstate. Two cars and both me and my wife had out of state drivers license.

i didn’t switch drivers license Untill late 90’s. I was in the military so I did have an excuse if I ever got stopped.
Old 07-05-2018, 07:49 PM
Nowanker
Burning Brakes

Location: Formerly the DPRK, now seeking political asylum in Oregon
Received 363 Likes on 236 Posts

The CHP is particularly motivated to enforce CA registrations. Their funding is paid from it.
Keep your out of state license for sure, and remember "I'm only here on vacation".
And hope he doesn't see you again 6mo later.

Quick Reply: Moved to Cali! Question about 1986 944 Turbo