Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Quick OPRV Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2018, 05:42 PM
superloaf
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Quick OPRV Question

Trying to renew the O ring inside my OPRV and I can't begin to get the circlip out. Apparently there is no tool made for removing an internal eyeless circlip so I guess I'm on my own, but any advice from others who have had their valve apart? That little ring doesn't want to flex at all and it spins loosely in the groove so you have to hold out and then pry against the tiny edge. I've been trying with jeweller's screwdriver and picks/punches but all I'm doing is damaging the edges of the valve housing.

And I'm aware that Porsche originally said this was a nonserviceable item but they also have a bulletin explaining how to renew it but there is barely any mention on the offending circlip.

​​​​​​​

Old 06-18-2018, 06:29 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

small right-angle tip needlenose pliers?
break the clip in two somehow to release the tension?
Old 06-18-2018, 07:44 PM
Tripl7
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The clip sits in a machined groove right? If so try some rubber covered needle nose vise grips on one end of the clip and use a small 90° pick in the other end and try to work it out.
Old 06-19-2018, 12:09 AM
951and944S
Race Car

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

As above, any small vise grips to hold one end, you could protect when clamping pliers with a piece of a broken wood paint stirring paddle or similar.
When you have that side where it won't slide in the groove, use a sharp pick with a good grip handle, not a cheap one that the handle spins while you try to twist action and lever it out.

T
Old 06-20-2018, 01:32 PM
mahoney944
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You don't need to remove that clip to get to the internal o-ring. Just clamp the hex head threaded side in a vise and twist off the Piston sleeve side with some vise grips. Make sure you use something to protect the Piston side from the vise grips like a rag or a piece of rubber. Just twist side to side as you pull up. The old dried up o-ring is all that holds it together. Once apart, use a pick or small screw driver to get all the o-ring pieces out. Replace and push it back together .Use a little oil on the oring to help it assemble easier.

Last edited by mahoney944; 06-20-2018 at 01:50 PM.
Old 06-20-2018, 04:09 PM
superloaf
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mahoney944
You don't need to remove that clip to get to the internal o-ring. Just clamp the hex head threaded side in a vise and twist off the Piston sleeve side with some vise grips. Make sure you use something to protect the Piston side from the vise grips like a rag or a piece of rubber. Just twist side to side as you pull up. The old dried up o-ring is all that holds it together. Once apart, use a pick or small screw driver to get all the o-ring pieces out. Replace and push it back together .Use a little oil on the oring to help it assemble easier.

Oh my God!!!! Thank you so much!

It all makes sense now, the fact that the service bulletin says nearly the same thing about clamping in a vise and taking apart with no mention of the circlip.
You've saved me a lot of trouble and misery.

How about getting it back together with the new O ring? I've heard that can be tricky....
Old 06-20-2018, 05:13 PM
mahoney944
Burning Brakes

It's a lot easier putting it together. Make sure you get all of the old oring pieces out of both halves. Mine crumbled. New oring goes on the Piston half like in the picture and add a drop of motor oil to it and evenly slide it back together. I think I just used my hands. You'll feel the oring pop in place once the two halves are fully together. I'm pretty sure the threaded side has a groove or recess for the oring to seat in. Once together, double check the Piston is still moving properly and your good to go. I usually push on it with a small screw driver and verify that it springs shut and it's not binding up.
Old 06-22-2018, 03:57 PM
superloaf
Burning Brakes

Wow, I can not get this thing apart! How can a simple O ring hold it together with that much tension?
Old 06-22-2018, 07:28 PM
mahoney944
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by superloaf
Wow, I can not get this thing apart! How can a simple O ring hold it together with that much tension?
It's dries out and doesn't squish like it needs to to come loose. Use some penetration oils to help .
Old 06-23-2018, 02:19 AM
superloaf
Burning Brakes

It's dries out and doesn't squish like it needs to to come loose. Use some penetration oils to help .

And thanks again....Let it soak with some PB Blaster and then it came apart...Still with a lot of struggling but it came apart. Never would have without the penetrating oil. Old O ring was shredded and caramelized and disintegrated upon disassembly so not sure how it was still so difficult to get it apart.

Of course when it did, the spring and internal bits went flying so this is what I think completes the OPRV...

Am I missing anything? There is also a spring inside the screw cap.

Oh, these little pistons sure are machined well. They slide into each other so precisely. It's a shame this is hidden deep inside the oil filter housing. I read in the Porsche yech bulletin that you can't swap parts between different OPRV and I can see why. Ok, geek out over Porsche engineering over now....
Old 06-23-2018, 11:47 AM
mahoney944
Burning Brakes

That much I can't tell you. I don't think there's all that much inside so you're probably good. Just make sure it feels right after re assembly. Clean and re oil the parts. Make sure there isn't any of the old oring inside still.
Old 06-23-2018, 10:56 PM
superloaf
Burning Brakes

That much I can't tell you. I don't think there's all that much inside so you're probably good. Just make sure it feels right after re assembly. Clean and re oil the parts. Make sure there isn't any of the old o ring inside still.
Yes, that is complete; I found the Porsche tech bulletin showing the exploded view.

Of course, now another problem: I sliced the O ring in half trying to press it together, just as Porsche instructs in the tech bulletin. I don't think there is any way that O ring is going to squeeze in there. I tried over and over, going very slowly and carefully and then finally went too far. It literally shaved the O ring; I thought it might pop into the groove but it doesn't.

So, not sure how to solve this... I'm done with this crappy Porsche O ring that doesn't fit. They're $5 each! The more I work on this car, the less impressed I am with Porsche. Give me an Alfa anyday over this thing! Anyday.....

Quick Reply: Quick OPRV Question