Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

not a performance question

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2018, 08:48 PM
grgallo
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 70 Posts
Default not a performance question

my ' 89 951 came with the original Porsche CD-1 head unit and a BEA 80 amp/eq. A factory 10-speaker system. The CD unit failed: disc rejects on insertion and parts not available to fix it. So, I replaced the head unit with a Porsche CDR 220. ever since it's been electronics hell. The system sound great, the amp/eq is spot on. Radio, CD everything works. Except after 2-3 days of sitting I get a dead battery. Never happened in 3 years of ownership until the replacement radio, 2 months ago. I did some experimentation, pulled the radio, radio/booster fuses #34 and #36, sat the car for 36 hours and went to start and all was fine. I'm told the radio and amp/eq are wired together, so when you turn on the radio the amp/eq comes on. However, the amp/eq has it's own power on button. After a drive I turn off the radio and the amp/eq using there own separate buttons. Still get the battery drain. In the shop now to see where the draw is coming from. I'm not sure they can isolate the amp/eq from the radio. some possibilities rewire the amp/eq to the accessory circuit so it is not connected to the on/off of the radio. Or Delete the amp/eq from the circuit all together and live with a 4 speaker non-amp/eq system. Another thought I have is the CDR 220 is not meant to be hooked up with the BEA 80? Thoughts, comments appreciated.

Quick Reply: not a performance question