Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Bosch spark plugs made in China?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2018, 08:00 PM
dvarholy
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bosch spark plugs made in China?

I almost installed them. What brand and number spark plugs is everyone else using in their 951? NAPA sold me Bosch # 6737 / WR7DPP30W. Is there anything still actually made in Germany rather than China?

Daniel

'86 951
Old 06-12-2018, 08:37 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 295 Likes on 231 Posts

Does it even matter anymore, Audi, Mercedes, VW now produce whole cars outside of Germany and even in the 80’s our cars came with Japanese parts from the factory.
Old 06-12-2018, 08:51 PM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts

China is capable of making good parts but it seems like the largest market is for the cheap parts. It's getting hard to avoid. I ordered a new water pump from Zims a few years ago only to find out it was a Uro part, but it has surprisingly been fine... next pump will be legit though.
Old 06-12-2018, 08:55 PM
951and944S
Race Car

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Well, I bought SKF bearings for a 944 transmission and they had China stamped right on the races.
Have what I think is the top open car trailer made, Sloan Kwik Load.
It came with Dexter 3500# torsion axles.
After 7 years of hauling, with -0- problems, I decided to replace all 8 wheel bearings and seals, so I remove, clean and get the numbers off inner, outer races and bearings.
China.
So I come inside, get on my laptop, intent on buying a respected name brand (as if SKF isn't) replacement for my trailer.
I see Timken at 3 times the price as the same Chinese ones that went 7 years with -0- problems.
But I re-thought..., why bother, they are just as likely to come in badged as made in China, so I went with the Chinese ones.

This isn't meant to be political, but for those that don't realize what is really going on re. President Trump and the tariffs (which are really in themselves a lie - he actually wants to rescind the current waiver and let the tariff reinstate themselves).
We have tariffs on Chinese steel and aluminum.
Canada and Mexico enjoy a waiver on those tariffs.
So...., China funnels the steel and aluminum through Mexico and Canada with a deal to enrich both of those countries on the backs of our workers.

I don't know what the real answer is, but I'm hoping our president does.

T
Old 06-12-2018, 10:40 PM
audisport
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's hard to know if you get counterfeit parts these days or not.

Just have to buy from reputable sources. I would doubt napa is getting counterfeit parts.

If you bought on Amazon I'd say chances are high.
Old 06-12-2018, 11:21 PM
gruhsy
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by 951and944S
Well, I bought SKF bearings for a 944 transmission and they had China stamped right on the races.
Have what I think is the top open car trailer made, Sloan Kwik Load.
It came with Dexter 3500# torsion axles.
After 7 years of hauling, with -0- problems, I decided to replace all 8 wheel bearings and seals, so I remove, clean and get the numbers off inner, outer races and bearings.
China.
So I come inside, get on my laptop, intent on buying a respected name brand (as if SKF isn't) replacement for my trailer.
I see Timken at 3 times the price as the same Chinese ones that went 7 years with -0- problems.
But I re-thought..., why bother, they are just as likely to come in badged as made in China, so I went with the Chinese ones.

This isn't meant to be political, but for those that don't realize what is really going on re. President Trump and the tariffs (which are really in themselves a lie - he actually wants to rescind the current waiver and let the tariff reinstate themselves).
We have tariffs on Chinese steel and aluminum.
So...., China funnels the steel and aluminum through Mexico and Canada with a deal to enrich both of those countries on the backs of our workers.

I don't know what the real answer is, but I'm hoping our president does.

T
While I agree most of what you have said.....the part about enriching Canada....Canada gives everything away. We the Canadian citizen don't see any of the money it all leaves the country to corporations not us and our Prime Minister is a moron
Old 06-12-2018, 11:28 PM
951and944S
Race Car

Got a counterfeit fuel pump/level sender in an AC Delco box from a National chain once.

T

Originally Posted by audisport
It's hard to know if you get counterfeit parts these days or not.

Just have to buy from reputable sources. I would doubt napa is getting counterfeit parts.

If you bought on Amazon I'd say chances are high.
Old 06-12-2018, 11:30 PM
951and944S
Race Car

Originally Posted by gruhsy
While I agree most of what you have said.....the part about enriching Canada....Canada gives everything away. We the Canadian citizen don't see any of the money it all leaves the country to corporations not us and our Prime Minister is a moron
Note I said "countries" not "citizens"....

Somebody has to buy those socks and prop up family back in Cuba...

For the record, I am Acadian...., south Louisiana settlers that were ousted from Canada...

T
Old 06-13-2018, 11:29 AM
Droops83
Three Wheelin'

Received 76 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by dvarholy
I almost installed them. What brand and number spark plugs is everyone else using in their 951? NAPA sold me Bosch # 6737 / WR7DPP30W. Is there anything still actually made in Germany rather than China?

Daniel

'86 951
Back to spark plugs, get the regular Bosch WR7DCs with the copper electrodes if your engine is otherwise stock. I have never had the platinum plugs work as well as copper on '70s-80s-vintage engines, plus they are easier to read and check for wear.

But, the latest batch of WR7DCs is made in . . . . . RUSSIA!

NGK BPR6ES is the equivalent plug, if that helps .

Fun fact: all 3 of my cars (951, BMW 2002tii, Alfa GTV6) all use the WR7DC, so spark plug shopping is quite easy for me!
Old 06-13-2018, 11:36 AM
JustinL
Drifting

Received 179 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by 951and944S
The waiver on those tariffs expired a while ago. American manufacturing companies now enjoy that same tax on imported Canadian metals. In the long term, if this keeps up, Canada will just shift trading partners to Asia and Europe as we have new bilateral trade deals with both as the US is pulling away. We'll all survive; and more and more quality parts will be coming from China.
Old 06-13-2018, 12:21 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

my torque tube currently has bearings stamped "USSR"...

that may have been why i painted it red
Old 06-13-2018, 12:33 PM
951and944S
Race Car

Originally Posted by JustinL
We'll all survive; and more and more quality parts will be coming from China.
Or North Korea....

T
Old 06-17-2018, 12:25 AM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

Received 157 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by Droops83
the latest batch of WR7DCs is made in . . . . . RUSSIA!
...and they have a very light silver metal wrap as opposed to the more solid looking darker metal. I am not crazy about them!

Quick Reply: Bosch spark plugs made in China?