Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turbo-and-turbo-s-forum-72/)
-   -   ANy Porsche dyno shops near Detroit? (https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turbo-and-turbo-s-forum/1074177-any-porsche-dyno-shops-near-detroit.html)

MC Luc 06-12-2018 06:18 PM

ANy Porsche dyno shops near Detroit?

Going to do some performance upgrades over the next couple of weeks:
  • Cat delete
  • wastegate shims
  • upgraded 26/6 turbo
The vehicle already has Autothority Stage II chips and a LR boost enhancer. At the end of these upgrades I thought it might make sense to get a custom tune to make sure the spark and air/fuel ratios play nice and are not dangerous, won't blow up the motor. But I am having a hard time finding a dyno shop in the Detroit area that will service a 951, or any Porsche for that matter. I called a few shops and searched online and no luck, anyone know of any?

V2Rocket 06-12-2018 06:34 PM

word of advice - don't go to a dyno shop that specializes in your brand of car.
tuner shops will offer to put parts and labor into your car and justify it to you on their dyno to make you a happy customer, by tweaking the dyno settings.

if you take your Porsche to a Nissan shop they have nothing to offer you but their dyno time...more impartial to the results.

and FFS, it's a RWD car with plenty of spots for tiedown straps for the dyno. the badge shouldn't matter at all.

MC Luc 06-13-2018 10:28 AM

OK, good thought. The issue I've had is that the big dyno shops are not even interested in dynoing my car. Is there a restriction to dynoing our cars or tuning them that is preventing shops from working on our 951's?

V2Rocket 06-13-2018 12:23 PM

only the shop's fear of breaking something with a "P" logo on it.

my example was real-life, i did a lot of dyno testing over several months at a local Nissan Z/GTR shop. they didn't blink, i just pointed out to them the best places for the tie-down straps to go.

Tripl7 06-13-2018 01:46 PM

Not 100% sure but most shops local to you may not have proper equipment to tune with the autothority chips you have. They may be more comfortable with newer standalone ecm's then chips. Also from what I've seen anything aftermarket/performance for Porsche in MI is almost nonexistent to my knowledge.

MC Luc 06-13-2018 01:56 PM

That is what I am finding out Tripl7, it is really a Camaro , Challenger and Mustang city! I am concerned about my A/FR not working well with the new parts. I might even need a 3.0 Bar FPR, but don't want to do anything blind without understanding what is happening first.

disasterman 06-13-2018 07:22 PM

Talk to Stephen Cramer at AutoCore in Waterford. Lots of experience with A/F ratios/turbo cars, race cars , (including mine, there now), street cars etc. He is a former long term 951 owner with extensive experience with these cars.

MC Luc 06-13-2018 07:40 PM

disasterman - thanks this is great, I will reach out to them, thank you!

Tedro951 06-14-2018 09:12 AM

I'd make verifying AFR the priority. An actual tune isn't going to be easy, as mentioned above. If the numbers are safe, drive it. If it's a little lean add the 3 bar. Any dyno can do that.

MC Luc 06-14-2018 10:56 AM

Thanks, makes sense. I like the wheels on your car, BTW. 18"?

Tedro951 06-14-2018 03:18 PM

Thx. Gemballa Racing 18s. 245/40-18 and 285/30-18 tires.

MC Luc 06-17-2018 12:28 AM

Just re-installed the DME/KLR (Autothority chips), what a pain in the ass, cramped space, carpet in the way. It took me 2 hours. Shocked the car even started. I can't wait to pull the turbo out :rolleyes: