Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Trigger Wheel Setup

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2018, 12:10 PM
951and944S
Race Car

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by gruhsy
I see they have a pic of a 944 turbo engine on their web page. http://www.tpgproducts.com/services.html
Makes sense, Wayne Xesias is the contact there.

He did a startup map disc for me for a 944T but this is the car I am doing the 16V 2.5 na, so all the parts I had assiciated with this config were posted for sale.

Also worked with them for a customer and RL here.

DTA makes a ton of very cool stuff, ECUs, electronic shifter modules and motors, digital dashes, data acquisition, etc., etc.

The E48 I have is getting old school now but it has flat shift capability (no lift shifting) with clutch pedal switch, user select soft and hard rev limits, traction control, etc., etc.
It's a good ECU and all their products are good stuff. Wayne built the 944T specific harness for me so what you see in the pics is a non-terminated harness. One I have is plug and play for a 944T and another cool feature is it has a threaded firewall pass through bulkhead connector, makes it easier to R & R engine.

Don't know why they aren't way more mainstream here.

Wayne's a great guy and good tuner and knows the 944.

You can share your whole setup and data live on the phone with him via internet connection and he can activate each/every component, check values, etc. in live time to help you make a diagnosis.

T
Old 06-07-2018, 01:10 PM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts

944crazy, I think that was your post on facebook that I replied to. I run the 6" GSF wheel with no problems. Using a DIYautoTune Hall effect sensor. Does not fit under the outer belt cover without trimming it. Maybe the 5" wheel would but I don't run covers anyway.
Old 06-07-2018, 09:27 PM
944crazy
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 951and944S
Try Wayne at The Power Group, Florida.

DTA FAST UK parts.

They have weather pack sensor and bracket, wheel too.

If you are willing to lose balance belt, I have bracket, sensor and pulley with wheel already welded in place.

I had/have the stuff for sale over at Pelican, search same user name, there are pics there.

T
I want to keep the balance shafts...but thanks anyway.

Originally Posted by odonnell
944crazy, I think that was your post on facebook that I replied to. I run the 6" GSF wheel with no problems. Using a DIYautoTune Hall effect sensor. Does not fit under the outer belt cover without trimming it. Maybe the 5" wheel would but I don't run covers anyway.
Yes, it was. Looks like I might have to trim the covers then...no big deal. Just need to figure out a good way to mount the sensor now.
Old 06-07-2018, 10:29 PM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

That's why I'm running a system on my 951 that allows me to run stock sensors. The price premium was less than the Clewitt bracket, which IMHO as an engineer is the only off the shelf setup worth spending the money on. On my '83 I was able securely mount the sensor on an unused stud, since the balance shafts have been deleted.
Old 06-08-2018, 02:52 AM
ealoken
Three Wheelin'

Received 114 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by odonnell
That's why I'm running a system on my 951 that allows me to run stock sensors. The price premium was less than the Clewitt bracket, which IMHO as an engineer is the only off the shelf setup worth spending the money on. On my '83 I was able securely mount the sensor on an unused stud, since the balance shafts have been deleted.
+1

Stock sensors on the EMU ECU.
Old 06-08-2018, 03:19 AM
944crazy
Pro

Yeah I'm running VEMS pnp which was supposed to work with the stock sensors...but I'm one of the unlucky one's who gets trigger errors above 5k
Old 06-08-2018, 10:02 AM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

You may be able to able to wire up a shunt to the speed sensor wiring to mitigate. Lot of posts on Megasquirt forums about how to shunt a VR sensor.
Old 06-09-2018, 04:00 AM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 647 Likes on 409 Posts

Go for Clewett.
Old 06-09-2018, 12:30 PM
NCLA951
Racer

Originally Posted by 944crazy
Yeah I'm running VEMS pnp which was supposed to work with the stock sensors...but I'm one of the unlucky one's who gets trigger errors above 5k
I was also one of these. Bosch didn’t work, facet didn’t work, but FAE did. I’m going 60-1 flywheel (TTV Racing) on my new build which will eliminate this. But I did solve it with stock sensors and flywheel, and I’m an electrical idiot.

Is your trigger error under high boost and load above 5k?
Old 06-09-2018, 12:35 PM
944crazy
Pro

Originally Posted by NCLA951

I was also one of these. Bosch didn’t work, facet didn’t work, but FAE did. I’m going 60-1 flywheel (TTV Racing) on my new build which will eliminate this. But I did solve it with stock sensors and flywheel, and I’m an electrical idiot.

Is your trigger error under high boost and load above 5k?

I tried an FAE sensor as well, but no luck unfortunately. Its is above 5k regardless of boost or load.

TTV quoted me £325 for that flywheel, shipped to Australia...which is same price point as the clewett trigger wheel setup.

At this point, think I'm gonna try my luck with the cheap GSF trigger wheel and some sort of homemade mount...and if that doesn't work I'll go the 60-2 flywheel route.
Old 02-09-2019, 02:39 AM
shortyboy
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

I tried an FAE sensor as well, but no luck unfortunately. Its is above 5k regardless of boost or load.

TTV quoted me £325 for that flywheel, shipped to Australia...which is same price point as the clewett trigger wheel setup.

At this point, think I'm gonna try my luck with the cheap GSF trigger wheel and some sort of homemade mount...and if that doesn't work I'll go the 60-2 flywheel route.

What setup did you end up going with? Old sensors were fae, new sensors are facet and having trigger emi issues. Going to try bosch next or a new trigger setup.
Old 02-10-2019, 01:51 PM
JustinL
Drifting

Received 179 Likes on 99 Posts

I'm trying to set mine up too, I have a 6" GSF trigger wheel on my S2 block. The 5" one doesn't stick the teeth out far enough to be read by the sensor. The 6" wheel turns nicely under my belt covers. I built a sensor mount that bolts under the A/C delete bracket. It's not pretty, but I think it should work without clamping on to the tensioner rod. I've been trying to get a Littelfuse 55075 sensor to work with my MS3x system, but I'm having some grounding issues to deal with for that sensor.

Last edited by JustinL; 02-10-2019 at 02:08 PM.
Old 02-10-2019, 08:14 PM
944crazy
Pro

Originally Posted by shortyboy
What setup did you end up going with? Old sensors were fae, new sensors are facet and having trigger emi issues. Going to try bosch next or a new trigger setup.
I ended up getting the TTV 60-2 flywheel. It solved all my trigger issues and works 100% perfectly. For VEMS, it works with the factory speed sensor in the factory bracket (in ref sensor hole).
Old 03-06-2019, 04:38 PM
lawn_mower
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys, I need to put a crank nose trigger wheel and just looking for some pics and feedback from those who have used the Going Super Fast 6 inch wheel.

http://www.goingsuperfast.com/Trigger-wheels.html

Does it fit under the stock belt covers?

Has anyone modified the GSF sensor mount to work with an a/c delete?

Also interested in any other custom trigger wheels that you guys have used.
I'm using the going super fast wheel and sensor on my car with the stock covers. I had to cut a hole for the sensor to read through, but other than that it was pretty straight forward.
Old 03-06-2019, 05:02 PM
shortyboy
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by lawn_mower
I'm using the going super fast wheel and sensor on my car with the stock covers. I had to cut a hole for the sensor to read through, but other than that it was pretty straight forward.
Cant send you a PM cause of your post count. How did you set yours up? Looking to run the same setup with vems. How did you install it on crankshaft and config in software. Thanks

Quick Reply: Trigger Wheel Setup