Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Recommended Brake pads & fluid

Old 06-05-2018, 11:17 AM
Jllewan
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recommended Brake pads & fluid

I would like to replace my pads and fluid on my 1988 951. They went out on me during a Road America track event- overheated??? What do you suggest I use for 5-7 track days as well as everyday driving? Thanks!
Old 06-05-2018, 10:03 PM
divil
Three Wheelin'

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Jllewan
I would like to replace my pads and fluid on my 1988 951. They went out on me during a Road America track event- overheated??? What do you suggest I use for 5-7 track days as well as everyday driving? Thanks!
Well, I've always used EBC Yellowstuff pads and whatever cheap Dot 4 brake fluid they have in the local places (autozone etc.). In my opinion if you're cooking your brakes at the track, you're not going to fix that by changing fluid brands. The only real solution is to work on your braking technique (earlier, less etc.) Spend the money on changing the fluid more often instead.
Old 06-05-2018, 10:19 PM
Carrera51
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 148 Likes on 94 Posts

What pads and fluid are you currently using. And what tires? R-Compound, or street tire?
Old 06-05-2018, 11:37 PM
KevinGross
Rennlist Member

Received 153 Likes on 100 Posts

What do you mean when you say they "went out" on you?
The following users liked this post:
cacaro (04-05-2022)
Old 06-06-2018, 12:27 AM
951and944S
Race Car

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

There's a lot of technology in the top few brake fluid products, reflected in the price too, just to gain a 20 deg or more advantage in boiling point.
If you are at that threshold during track/race use, they are worth the price.
Even with a top flagship fluid from a top manufacturer like Motul or Castrol, we still flush fluid a couple times per race weekend.

I've had this problem as described by the OP myself when DEing a full weight '87 944t with +100bhp.

Fluid aerates from boiling and the pedal pressure just goes away.

I actually melted the valve stem caps right off (have pics... ).

There's a lot to be said for modifying your driving style but when you are hurling down a straight at 140mph and coming up on a R/L with stock suspension that limits your speed through to 90mph....., ya gotta scrub it off somehow.

I was on my "sign off" day with my last instructor so I could race my 1st PCA race and at this point of the track, he kept looking at me through this fast L/R where I kept trying to increase corner speed and brake less.....and asked "are you doing that on purpose..?".

I said yeah....., I barley have any brakes.....

T
Old 06-06-2018, 12:30 AM
951and944S
Race Car

@ KevinGross, check 968 sub forum,

T
Old 06-06-2018, 09:19 AM
Jllewan
Rennlist Member

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by 951and944S
There's a lot of technology in the top few brake fluid products, reflected in the price too, just to gain a 20 deg or more advantage in boiling point.
If you are at that threshold during track/race use, they are worth the price.
Even with a top flagship fluid from a top manufacturer like Motul or Castrol, we still flush fluid a couple times per race weekend.

I've had this problem as described by the OP myself when DEing a full weight '87 944t with +100bhp.

Fluid aerates from boiling and the pedal pressure just goes away.

I actually melted the valve stem caps right off (have pics... ).

There's a lot to be said for modifying your driving style but when you are hurling down a straight at 140mph and coming up on a R/L with stock suspension that limits your speed through to 90mph....., ya gotta scrub it off somehow.

I was on my "sign off" day with my last instructor so I could race my 1st PCA race and at this point of the track, he kept looking at me through this fast L/R where I kept trying to increase corner speed and brake less.....and asked "are you doing that on purpose..?".

I said yeah....., I barley have any brakes.....

T
You seem to be on the same page as me. I'm not sure on the pads/fluid (previous owner?) But what I read was inline with the better bake fluids you mention above. Less braking makes no sense when the car in front of you with double the HP is doing the same thing without his pedal touching the floor....lol. What pads do you use? I'm thinking fresh upgraded fluid & some racing pads might be a simple first step before I invest in upgraded rotors etc. Thanks.
Old 06-06-2018, 01:52 PM
JustinL
Drifting

Received 179 Likes on 99 Posts

If the pedal is going to the floor, I'd bet it's the fluid that you're overheating. Better fluid is a great first step, but that can be expensive. I like Castrol SRF personally and I use a pretty high temperature pad. The other really important thing to think about is shedding the energy from the brake system. Higher temp pads and fluid combined with bigger rotors will give you more capacity for heat... but you need to get that heat out of the system some how. If you car is slow enough it will just radiate out during the long straights, but if you are putting in more heat than you can get rid of, eventually something will overheat. The only real way to solve this is better airflow to the brakes. The 968 scoops are a great solution that doesn't involve hoses and backing plates or bumper ducts, but for a track car some real ducting for airflow can go a long way.
Old 06-06-2018, 03:09 PM
Jllewan
Rennlist Member

Do you have any pictures of how and where the 968 scoops are mounted? P/N's?

Thanks!
Old 06-06-2018, 04:11 PM
951and944S
Race Car

You seem to be on the same page as me. I'm not sure on the pads/fluid (previous owner?) But what I read was inline with the better bake fluids you mention above. Less braking makes no sense when the car in front of you with double the HP is doing the same thing without his pedal touching the floor....lol. What pads do you use? I'm thinking fresh upgraded fluid & some racing pads might be a simple first step before I invest in upgraded rotors etc. Thanks.
I used to be in that boat....long ago.

You have contributing circumstances,

Your car is heavy.
It's fast.
It doesn't turn as well as it could so you have to slow more (weight and suspension)

Do you even have the factory 944T rectangular air cooling tubes + the scoop on the strut..?

We use the 968 scoops (2 parts per side) on the 2.5 8V NA car but, I'm pretty sure some of the parts are N/A.

If it's just a mounting bracket you need if you can source 2 x each of the other parts, I can make you a R + L bracket to mount them.
I have a template for them.
The 968 arm has a special tab for mounting so need them because your arm does not.

T
Old 06-06-2018, 05:05 PM
JustinL
Drifting

Received 179 Likes on 99 Posts

Do you have any pictures of how and where the 968 scoops are mounted? P/N's?

Thanks!
https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turb...flector-3.html

Old 06-07-2018, 10:30 PM
Porvair
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Along the vein of the OPs initial question, what pads are folks using for track days these days?

I've been running Pagid blacks and no fading and good modulation, but thinking of trying out the yellow rs19 or rs29 as I'm due for new pads soon.
Old 06-08-2018, 02:51 AM
ealoken
Three Wheelin'

Received 114 Likes on 72 Posts

I have EBC Bluestuff NDX, they do the job on dayli driving and racetrack.
Old 06-08-2018, 10:45 AM
Jllewan
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Recommended Brake pads & fluid