Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

shorter 1st gear to improve low end torque?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2018, 02:45 AM
ttAmerica RoadsterAWD
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default shorter 1st gear to improve low end torque?

Anybody have any info on how much modification to shorten first gear? Seems our cars has a tall first gear which exacerbates the low compression engine off the line. Just wondering if anyone has heard of anybody doing this......kinda makes sense if you want lower end engagement for running around town.
Old 05-26-2018, 04:58 AM
NCLA951
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get a S2 box, everything is shorter, and unless you’re chasing top speed beyond 150mph you won’t miss the tallness of the stock box. I love mine, wakes everything up.

Throw in a only944 short shifter linkage and shifter and you’re off to the races.
Old 05-26-2018, 11:11 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

951 has a 3.5 1st gear but a 3.375 axle ratio.
S2 has 3.5 1st gear but a 3.875 axle.

so you could swap an S2 box for easier 1st gear takeoffs but it would affect all your gears' max MPH, not a huge amount but youll be shifting more often.
Old 05-26-2018, 11:44 AM
ttAmerica RoadsterAWD
Three Wheelin'

Good info. Thanx!
So, the 951 and the S2 have the same 1st gear ratio? (V2Rocket statement above)

Jaime
Old 05-26-2018, 12:12 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 533 Likes on 287 Posts

Fist gear is too tall for you? Interesting, in my car (higher power), first gear is too short really. If it hooks up and doesn't just spin the tires, I still have to work hard to get it off the rev-limiter. Second gear is my favorite with traction, and the upper gears could all be lower in my book, at least for a street car. Consider adding power.
Old 05-26-2018, 12:50 PM
ttAmerica RoadsterAWD
Three Wheelin'

Yeah, I'm getting ahead of myself. I do need to make a decision about which engine management/chip combo to use. My car is internally stock, just did the K27/6 mod (with clipped hot side), old LR MAF (stock Porsche chips), LR 3 inch exhaust. I'm trying to make up my mind between Vitesse and VEMS. You guys have any insight? Which would you do if you had to do it again? You can PM me if you wish

thank you!
Old 05-26-2018, 01:02 PM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom M'Guinn
Fist gear is too tall for you? Interesting, in my car (higher power), first gear is too short really. If it hooks up and doesn't just spin the tires, I still have to work hard to get it off the rev-limiter. Second gear is my favorite with traction, and the upper gears could all be lower in my book, at least for a street car. Consider adding power.
Bingo.

Originally Posted by ttAmerica RoadsterAWD
Yeah, I'm getting ahead of myself. I do need to make a decision about which engine management/chip combo to use. My car is internally stock, just did the K27/6 mod (with clipped hot side), old LR MAF (stock Porsche chips), LR 3 inch exhaust. I'm trying to make up my mind between Vitesse and VEMS. You guys have any insight? Which would you do if you had to do it again? You can PM me if you wish

thank you!
All good in their own way. Depends what you want, standalone or keep your factory DME. we can't choose for you.
My weekender 944t has a M-Tune (Lindsey Racing supply it now) But my track car im building will be powered by a motec. They all have their place.
Old 05-26-2018, 01:46 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Tom, OP sounds like he's concerned with "normal driving" stoplight takeoff power rather than Saturn V launch control.
low CR plus tall gears can make takeoff hard especially on a hill...have you ever driven uphill on Laguna St. in SF with traffic? if you stall, you're rolling backwards into the ocean, LOL

ttAmerica - one pleasant result from a MAF or MAP (VEMS) conversion is a LOT more off-idle and low-end torque, without the AFM choking off the intake tract, boost or not.
years ago i did lots of dyno testing on my NA, and swapping the AFM for a MAF and some minor tuning made over 10% more torque down low where it counts.
Old 05-26-2018, 06:07 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 533 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by V2Rocket
Tom, OP sounds like he's concerned with "normal driving" stoplight takeoff power rather than Saturn V launch control.
Wait, what? I thought Saturn V launch control was "normal driving" for these cars?

By the way, I was lucky enough to drive an RS America a while back and can confirm the 951 will never feel like that no matter the gears.
Old 05-27-2018, 12:10 AM
ttAmerica RoadsterAWD
Three Wheelin'

Thanks guys. Yeah, i'm looking to get this car sorted out. I gave it to my son who is now 22 years old. I owned it first when I was in my thirties while a resident at USC medical center in LA. Means a lot to me that he's head over heels for it, but he's still learning to drive stick, hence, my wanting to get the off idle torque improvement.

Tom I bet that RS America was sweet! My dream-car has alway been the 911 wide body 930 turbo look. I was somewhat lucky to purchase my 911 America Roadster from a Seattle Mariners baseball player who had made the stock drive train conversion to a 993tt running gear. I added the RUF conversion a year later. Very fun car to drive except I get a lot of traffic tickets.

The 951 needs a lot of TLC and upgrades $$$ but these cars are staying in the family!
Old 05-27-2018, 01:53 PM
NCLA951
Racer

I’d talk to raceboy and go VEMS, lots of benefits including built in scopes for sensors, MAP fueling and EBC. Plus you can change everything on your laptop and auto tune, and any future mod can be accounted for in the management over Bluetooth. I’ve enjoyed it, and not having to deal with old DME stuff.
Old 05-27-2018, 08:03 PM
ttAmerica RoadsterAWD
Three Wheelin'

Thanx. I will give him a ring
Old 05-28-2018, 05:22 AM
ealoken
Three Wheelin'

Received 114 Likes on 72 Posts

The s2 box is to short for Autobahn and cruises. I love the 951 ratio.
Old 05-28-2018, 11:52 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

the highest speed limit in the USA is maybe 80mph in far-out rural desert areas...i think he'll be OK, LOL
Old 05-28-2018, 11:53 AM
NCLA951
Racer

Horses for courses! I like the shorter box in the canyons. Don’t get a lot of autobahn time.

Originally Posted by ealoken
The s2 box is to short for Autobahn and cruises. I love the 951 ratio.

Quick Reply: shorter 1st gear to improve low end torque?