Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Rogue Tuning still around?

Old 05-22-2018, 07:55 AM
blade7
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by fast951
The advice of running an adjustable fuel pressure regulator to adjust a tune (any tune) is a bad advice.
Good that a site sponsor wrote that.....
Old 05-22-2018, 11:24 AM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 533 Likes on 287 Posts

You might as well switch to carbs and start changing jets.
Cool! Group buy?
Old 05-22-2018, 07:31 PM
refresh951
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

The advice of running an adjustable fuel pressure regulator to adjust a tune (any tune) is a bad advice.
LOL! Bias alert!
Old 05-22-2018, 10:39 PM
gpr8er
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by refresh951
LOL! Bias alert!
Wow, cheap shot from the mod of all people. I know Josh is a friend of yours but....
Old 05-22-2018, 11:07 PM
Humboldtgrin
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Ok have you checked your plug wires? Would you like to know why I ask that? I can't see it being the FPR either. Maybe you have an old cap and rotor with carbon tracing in it? Engine harness is going bad?
Old 05-22-2018, 11:10 PM
refresh951
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gpr8er
Wow, cheap shot from the mod of all people. I know Josh is a friend of yours but....
Listen, adjusting fuel pressure a bit is VERY common and not "bad advice". The DME has an FQS that allows essentially the same thing. I had already explained the issue and there is no problem with my suggestion. Ok, he disagreed, fine. But the way he did it shows some bias in my opinion.
Old 05-23-2018, 01:54 AM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Listen, adjusting fuel pressure a bit is VERY common and not "bad advice". The DME has an FQS that allows essentially the same thing. I had already explained the issue and there is no problem with my suggestion. Ok, he disagreed, fine. But the way he did it shows some bias in my opinion.
Perhaps you need to read the initial post once more. The problem, as described is "very rich at WOT" .
Adjusting the fuel via a FPR (or FQS) alters the fuel across the board, not just at WOT.
So instead of fixing the "real problem", you suggest he hides the symptoms by leaning the fuel mixture across the board and risk running lean at idle and PT?
I think it's bad advice as he did not solve the real problem, but instead he could be introducing new problems. As I stated, it could be a problem with the "car or tune". Let's look at a one possibility where he could have a pressure leak in the system, which causes a rich AFR under load. A pressure leak will eventually becomes a vacuum leak, which means lean AFRs at idle and light load.
By reducing fuel pressure as you suggested, the AFRs will be very lean across the board, except maybe WOT. Now we are chasing more problems. Well you get the picture.

In my opinion, and I'm sure you have your own personal reasons to disagree, the real problem (be it with the car or the tune) should be addressed and solved. Covering up a problem is not a good technical decision/solution. Well of course, as you stated, there is always a "Bias Alert", and sweeping the dirt under the rug is a solution.

​​​​​​

Last edited by fast951; 05-23-2018 at 02:16 AM.
Old 05-23-2018, 02:04 AM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

LOL! Bias alert!
Would you care to elaborate? Based on my response, trying to help the OP, how did you come to this conclusion?
Old 05-23-2018, 08:15 AM
blade7
Drifting

LOL! Bias alert!
The irony is strong in this post.
Old 05-23-2018, 06:05 PM
DarrenD
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Humboldtgrin
Ok have you checked your plug wires? Would you like to know why I ask that? I can't see it being the FPR either. Maybe you have an old cap and rotor with carbon tracing in it? Engine harness is going bad?
Plug wires, plugs, cap and rotor are all brand new. The car is running at 10-1 at WOT. Part throttle cruising and Idle are fine. The M-tune setup I purchased was originally intended for a car with a Lindsey Super 53 turbo which leads me to believe that's why it's rich as I'm running an Evergreen modified billet comp wheel K26-6. Driveability otherwise is good.. It seems to miss a bit at WOT which I think is due to the excessive fuel.

I have since been in contact with Joshua and hopefully he'll be able to help me out. He has been an amazing resource for me in the past and I'm sure we'll work out these issues.

Let's keep it clean fellas, this forum is an incredible resource and I enjoy it very much.
Old 05-23-2018, 06:49 PM
raleighBahn
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

This one has gotten fun. I think the m-tune relies on 3bar. The Bosch 3bar FPR has been found to be higher than 3bar - this per older posts by Joshua and my own experience. I have A-tune which was rich at WOT and I measured my Bosch at 3.1 bar. Replaced with adjustable which I set at 3bar precisely and all good. OP may have another problem of course - a 951 can run rich or lean for myriad reasons and answers to no man. To John's point, it is probably not a good idea to try and tune with an adjustable FPR to cover up some other issue. Use it to get your FPR right on the money.
Old 05-23-2018, 10:42 PM
refresh951
Rennlist Member

I was simply trying to help this fellow. I have setup a lot of MTunes and probably have more experience than anyone other than Joshua as I did much of the testing. In general I can see where John is coming from but in this case I know the history and am pretty familiar with the specifics. The OP stated WOT AFR issues as many do. Most people look at AFR at idle and WOT as a general gauge of the tune although clearly it matters across the board. Idle AFR will not be very helpful due to closed loop. The early M-Tune had this richness issue in warmer temps and later Joshua made some changes to correct the situation. I can tell you it was a global fuel issue. This guy has the early M-Tune, LR does not support it, Joshua is difficult to get a hold of. What is he suppose to do? Trash it? I believe my advice is good considering the circumstances. I did this early on before I installed the tuner in my car. He is not going to fix it any other way unless Joshua provides him a new chip.

I really do not understand Blade7's comments. I never accepted any money from Joshua, I did it all for fun! We were working on a EBC that was really cool but someone complained that I was a mod so I left the project and it never got finished, something I regret. Everything I have done with my 951 was for the love of it. I shared tons of info and asked for nothing in return. I respect John and have referred customers to him if fact. How did John;s advice help the OP? I just think saying "bad advice" was out of line considering the actual circumstances. I have always went to great lengths to fair to all on this board. Im not paid to be a mod and it is mostly deleting spam and listening to people gripe and complain and make snarky comments.
Old 05-24-2018, 12:15 AM
gpr8er
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by gpr8er
Sorry if you took my post the wrong way Shawn. Just seemed to me the John was offering sound advice to the OP and your post came off to me as somewhat cavalier. Just my opinion. I can relate to the OP issues since I was one of the first guys in line back then to go Rouge MAF. John has been a site sponsor for a long time and personally in hindsight which is always clearer I should have went with his MAF system back in 2011 when I built my 3L. I won't go into the issues I had back then with Rouge it's water under the bridge and we all make our own decisions.
Old 05-24-2018, 05:33 AM
blade7
Drifting

I really do not understand Blade7's comments. I never accepted any money from Joshua,
My post was banter, I didn't imply reward. You do seem to wade in on certain subjects though, which seems at odds with being a moderator. And no, I don't want that job.
Old 05-24-2018, 09:12 AM
Humboldtgrin
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

So you have way to small of a turbo for that tune. Yes it's your tune that's not matching the change in your setup. If any fuel/air delivery items are changed then you need a whole new tune. Good talk.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rogue Tuning still around?