Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Strange AFM Damage and Part Request

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2018, 03:04 AM
superloaf
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Strange AFM Damage and Part Request

Doing a bunch of work on my 951 and found this tonight on the intake side of the AFM:

The little flap stop has deteriorated and broken which has also dented the flap. And let's not try to imagine the chunks of plastic going through the turbo....
Has anyone ever seen this? Does anyone have a pic of this part undamaged? And does anyone have one to sell? Not sure what to do in this situation to get it back.

Thanks for any info or help.
Old 05-19-2018, 12:31 PM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts

This is the AFM from my '86 951. Yours for $50. Car had a fire near the ignition coil before I purchased it so I can't say i ever ran the car with this part. If there's an issue with it, I will refund you immediately.
Attached Images     
Old 05-19-2018, 02:33 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 632 Likes on 490 Posts

its just a bump stop to limit the afm door's travel.
you could probably get one from any AFM-equipped car (1980s BMW, Ford, Mazda, Nissan, Jaguar, etc) at the local boneyard.
Old 05-19-2018, 05:14 PM
superloaf
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by odonnell
This is the AFM from my '86 951. Yours for $50. Car had a fire near the ignition coil before I purchased it so I can't say i ever ran the car with this part. If there's an issue with it, I will refund you immediately.
Hmmm, let me think about it as I'm so broke after all the parts I've already ordered.....

Does anyone have the stop alone, maybe off a dead AFM?

Or if anyone could measure the length that the stop protrudes from the metal to the end of the plastic, I would be very appreciative. See pics below for what I mean:

Old 05-20-2018, 02:28 AM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 87 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by superloaf
Doing a bunch of work on my 951 and found this tonight on the intake side of the AFM:

The little flap stop has deteriorated and broken which has also dented the flap. And let's not try to imagine the chunks of plastic going through the turbo....
Has anyone ever seen this? Does anyone have a pic of this part undamaged? And does anyone have one to sell? Not sure what to do in this situation to get it back.

Thanks for any info or help.
why are you trying to repair that junk, I have dozens of afm low miles nice and clean $ 75.00 picked up
Old 05-21-2018, 12:04 AM
superloaf
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by lart951
why are you trying to repair that junk, I have dozens of afm low miles nice and clean $ 75.00 picked up
Because I've spent nearly all my money on all the seals, spacers, gaskets and other bits of rubber, metal, and lost hope that Porsche uses to seal these cars! And I'm in Nashville now so no pick up at this time....And I have no problems with the running of the car due to the well worn afm.

Do you happen to have a dead afm that has a nice undamaged stopper you could sell me? Or if not, can you measure the length of the stopper so I can fab my own. I assume the stopper is only there to keep the flap door from wearing into the sides of the afm so maybe the length isn't even that critical. But then again, since this is Porsche, maybe the plight of all that is good and bad in this world revolves around this length so I might as well make it to spec.

Thank you, thank you....
Old 05-21-2018, 01:00 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Hi,
measure the hole spacing for that thing's 2 screws, and measure the "leg length".
If it's the same as on a 944 S2 AFM, I'll send you the little nub thing for shipping cost or you can come get it from Rancho Cucamonga.
Old 05-21-2018, 04:42 PM
superloaf
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by V2Rocket
Hi,
measure the hole spacing for that thing's 2 screws, and measure the "leg length".
If it's the same as on a 944 S2 AFM, I'll send you the little nub thing for shipping cost or you can come get it from Rancho Cucamonga.
Hey, thanks, rocket man but I'm in Nashville now (yes, I drove my old 951 from LA, 2000 miles in 31 hours, non-stop except for gas/food no less!)
But I'll happily pay the shipping. From pics online, it looks to be the same but measurements are 9.5mm between centers of mounting holes or 5.2mm between inner edge of holes to make it simpler to measure. Length I'm not sure as mine is completely missing the plastic part. Maybe someone else can get us a measurement of that length?????

Thanks so much for this generous gesture.....
Old 05-21-2018, 05:08 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

ill check when i get home, i've got a dead S2 AFM which should be dimensionally the same as a 951 unit.
Old 06-18-2018, 03:33 AM
superloaf
Burning Brakes

ill check when i get home, i've got a dead S2 AFM which should be dimensionally the same as a 951 unit.
Hey Spencer, did you get a chance to check that AFM piece? I forgot I even need that part but things are coming together now so I've got to figure that out.

Let me know when you can. Thanks.
Old 06-18-2018, 02:01 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Totally forgot, PM inbound
Old 06-18-2018, 03:01 PM
superloaf
Burning Brakes

Totally forgot, PM inbound
No problemo, I totally forgot until I noticed my AFM sitting on the workbench!

PM sent and a big public thank you for the help!

Quick Reply: Strange AFM Damage and Part Request