Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

exhaust sealing rings. Which side faces engine?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2018, 02:52 AM
ttAmerica RoadsterAWD
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default exhaust sealing rings. Which side faces engine?

Hey guys, I searched the site but found nothing. For those of you in the know, my new sealing rings for my turbo exhaust have a flat side with a thin edge on one side of the ring, the other side is a full normal radius. What's the significance of this? which side faces the engine and which side faces the exit, or does it matter?? I don't think I saw this on the ring that goes to the turbo-to-downpipe, but the down pipe-to-exhaust triangular ring has this as well as the headers-to-cross over pipe also have the flat side with edge.

thanx
Old 04-26-2018, 03:19 AM
H.F.B.
Pro

Received 99 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by ttAmerica RoadsterAWD
Hey guys, I searched the site but found nothing. For those of you in the know, my new sealing rings for my turbo exhaust have a flat side with a thin edge on one side of the ring, the other side is a full normal radius. What's the significance of this? which side faces the engine and which side faces the exit, or does it matter?? I don't think I saw this on the ring that goes to the turbo-to-downpipe, but the down pipe-to-exhaust triangular ring has this as well as the headers-to-cross over pipe also have the flat side with edge.

thanx
->>> https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turb...er-gasket.html
Originally Posted by william_b_noble
according to FelPro, the metal side goes towards the manifold. and it explains why. So the metal side goes towards the manifold>.

Exhaust Manifold Gaskets:
Exhaust manifold gaskets are another gasket type we get questions on. When installing Fel-Pro exhaust manifold gaskets, if there is a smooth, metallic side and a composite side, the metallic side should be installed facing out, meaning toward the exhaust manifold. This smooth surface of the shiny side will allow the flange of the exhaust manifold to slide as it expands and contracts during heat cycling from engine operation.
Steel on steel
Old 04-26-2018, 04:03 AM
ttAmerica RoadsterAWD
Three Wheelin'

Thanks, but I was not referring to the head-to-header gaskets, I'm referring to the metal O-ring from the header to the cross over pipe below.......
Old 04-26-2018, 04:11 AM
H.F.B.
Pro

Received 99 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by ttAmerica RoadsterAWD
Thanks, but I was not referring to the head-to-header gaskets, I'm referring to the metal O-ring from the header to the cross over pipe below.......
Oops, sorry.
Old 04-26-2018, 07:39 AM
Humboldtgrin
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Head to header gasket has the metal side facing the headers. And for the sealing rings the round side sets in the grooves and the split side faces the flat face of the headers.
Old 04-26-2018, 12:33 PM
ttAmerica RoadsterAWD
Three Wheelin'

Ok, thank you guys

Quick Reply: exhaust sealing rings. Which side faces engine?