944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Power Steering Pump Rebuild Question

Old 07-04-2018, 09:41 PM
bradthebold
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It worked before I took it apart. I reseated it and it worked ok for a test drive. I lost it mid drive today though. Nothing looks wrong with the pump, but there must be unless the rebuilt rack could cause it.

It looks like it's at least $80 for the cheapest used pump and another rebuild kit up to $130 from Lart. I think I'm just going to get the rebuilt pump from 944online for $180 with a reservoir. I'll call and see if I can get just the pump since I just replaced the reservoir, but that sounds better than risking another used pump.
Old 06-10-2023, 08:11 PM
Raindrop
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Lightbulb I might have a solution here

Originally Posted by bradthebold
I have not had power steering since I messed with my car. I rebuild the steering pump and replaced the rack. (And replaced the reservoir, feed line, blew out return line trying to fix the issue). I'm pretty sure it's all because of this gasket. After rebuilding, I had no power. I pulled the pump and reseated that gasket and had some power for a couple blocks.

Attachment 1350820

Attachment 1350821

I understand I am replying to a 5 years old post & OP does not need any help now, but I am posting it here as my post may help someone facing similar issue in future.

I have just finished rebuilding my power steering pump and I noticed that in the pictures posted by @bradthebold , the soft rubber seal is placed inside of the groove and hard plastic seal is outside. In the YouTube instructional video posted by Rennbay, he actually advises to keep hard plastic seal inside and soft rubber part outside in the groove, so that hard plastic is between the holes and the soft rubber seal.

Because OP has oriented the soft rubber seal inside (next to holes) so it eventually gets sucked in to the holes.

The instructions on Pelican Parts website on how to orient these seals are wrong as they tell you to place soft rubber seal inside and hard plastic seal outside in the groove.

Last edited by Raindrop; 06-11-2023 at 10:20 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Raindrop:
alengyel (08-22-2023), cactus_cars (07-29-2023)
Old 07-29-2023, 07:34 PM
cactus_cars
8th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Doing this right now on my S2. You have no idea how helpful this is!!
The following users liked this post:
Raindrop (11-09-2023)
Old 11-09-2023, 05:46 AM
Raindrop
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Anyone rebuilding the Power Steering Pump, plz also see my tip in this POST .

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Power Steering Pump Rebuild Question